Author Topic: In retrospect Kurupt Space Boogie was even better than I remembered...  (Read 3082 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I’ve had Space Boogie since the day it dropped, it was the first cd I ever listened to in my 99 Camri (I got used in 2001) the sound quality on the album was always crisp I remember that because I used the album to test my speakers).

I just recently put it back in for a spin (yes I still have the same car) and it actually played the whole way through mostly without skipping.  I think Fred Wreck was in a zone then and a few of his bangers had overshadowed the other quality tracks, I kept jumping from “Space Boogie”, to “On Onsite”, to “Hardest..” to “Lay it on Back” and them shitz was so bangin I was caught most the rest as filler...

...But damn this is another near classic for Kurupt.  I thought Streetz was a near classic and this is pretty much on par with Streetz, out of his 3 major label solos Kuruption sounded like he took his Death Row success for granted and thought he could just go in the studio and not even try... but he put some serious work in on Space Boogie.  This was still part of that great West Coast resurgence period that Xzibit kind of jump started with “Bitch Please” and it endured until Snoop started fuccing wit Pharell and then the GUnit Era took off and so on, but Space Boogie is definitely a pillar of that great 99-2001 west resurgence.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 04:34:36 PM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

HighEyeCue

Kuruption would’ve been too had he listened to Dre and made it one album instead of 2. The West Coast disc was basically a classic

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Kuruption would’ve been too had he listened to Dre and made it one album instead of 2. The West Coast disc was basically a classic

Yeah the West Coast disc was pretty good actually, but the East Coast disc is mostly bravado, all bark and no bite.  Sure it had its moments, but needed a lot of tightening up.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

HighEyeCue

Yeah the West Coast disc was pretty good actually, but the East Coast disc is mostly bravado, all bark and no bite.  Sure it had its moments, but needed a lot of tightening up.

looking back it could have used a Primo and a Pete Rock track...and the guest spots other than Buckshot and Noreaga were also a bunch of 2nd rate rappers

El Drex did a nice job though 8)

dj coma

Space Boogie was dope but to be real Kurupt himself was the weakest link on that album. The production and features were overall great but Kurupt's lyrics were god awful (for his standards). His verses were just cuss words with random big words mixed in and it was nonsensical for the most part.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Space Boogie was dope but to be real Kurupt himself was the weakest link on that album. The production and features were overall great but Kurupt's lyrics were god awful (for his standards). His verses were just cuss words with random big words mixed in and it was nonsensical for the most part.

well then if that is the case we might as well just say Kurupt was never the same after Death Row.  Because that is basically the same criticism of his Kuruption album.

Maybe the features and production was just so bangin' I didn't even notice it, but to me it seemed like Kurupt was dope on Space Boogie.  He's ridin the beat or whatever so I really didn't notice him coming weak at all.  Except obviously the lead single was just calculated for radio but we can forgive him for that.

dj coma

well then if that is the case we might as well just say Kurupt was never the same after Death Row.  Because that is basically the same criticism of his Kuruption album.

This is all true. After 96/97 when Death Row sent him back home to Philly he slowly started to fall off lyrically and IMO this was probably because he started doing a lot of drinking and drugs.

Sccit

STREETZ WAS A CLASSIC AND SPACE BOOGIE WAS A NEAR CLASSIC.....THE ONLY THING THAT STOPPED IT FROM BEIN A CLASSIC WAS THAT KURUPT FELL OFF LYRICALLY.

KURUPTION WAS AN EXCELLENT ALBUM TOO....MOSTLY THE WEST COAST DISC THO.

Sccit

Maybe the features and production was just so bangin' I didn't even notice it, but to me it seemed like Kurupt was dope on Space Boogie.  He's ridin the beat or whatever so I really didn't notice him coming weak at all.  Except obviously the lead single was just calculated for radio but we can forgive him for that.

HE ACTUALLY HAD A MINI LYRICAL RESURGENCE FOR STREETZ

dj coma

HE ACTUALLY HAD A MINI LYRICAL RESURGENCE FOR STREETZ

Ya, there were still a few lazy/questionable verses from him though.

Okka

I don't know about y'all, but I love almost every song on the first three Kurupt albums. I'd call them all personal classics.

Malcy

I loved the album as soon as I listened to it.

The day it came out I was about to do a 15 mile round trip to go get it. I had rang a load of record shops to see if they were going to stock it and they said no. Luckily a small independent shop I knew was getting a few copies in. It was £14 and I had £15. That wouldn't have covered the bus fare there as well as the album so I walked. Scenic Scottish countryside walk along a cycle path on a mild day so off I went.

Called into the shop. Got the record. Got a cold drink for the walk home and had a spliff rolled and my portable CD player and headphones at the ready. Walked a quarter of the way back and took a detour to try cut the journey up a bit and a bus passed me and stopped. It was my friend who was a bus driver. Home in no time for free. Dropped me at my door completely off route after asking the passengers if it was Ok.

Always has that story behind it for me. I miss the days of heading to go get a new release on the day it was out. Back then you did what it took. Too easy now to download it to your phone and listen to it. It always added to an album. Going getting it, bringing it home and looking through the liner notes. Who produced it, whose credited as a writer, what samples are in the tracks etc.

I have the album on now. Based on seeing this thread a couple of days ago. I loved I at the time and still do. Great production, very varied as were the features. I remember 'It's over' being a big hit. Shame that his wife who featured on the track died a few years ago.

Talking of liner notes, i went straight to them. I had to see if there were any disastrous spelling errors like the way Xzibit was credited as Zizbit or something similar on 'The Streets Is A Mutha'!

Long post but fuck it. Takes me back to when music was more appreciated.

The following users thanked this post: Okka, dnjp4life

Sccit

The day it came out I was about to do a 15 mile round trip to go get it. I had rang a load of record shops to see if they were going to stock it and they said no. Luckily a small independent shop I knew was getting a few copies in. It was £14 and I had £15. That wouldn't have covered the bus fare there as well as the album so I walked. Scenic Scottish countryside walk along a cycle path on a mild day so off I went.

Called into the shop. Got the record. Got a cold drink for the walk home and had a spliff rolled and my portable CD player and headphones at the ready. Walked a quarter of the way back and took a detour to try cut the journey up a bit and a bus passed me and stopped. It was my friend who was a bus driver. Home in no time for free. Dropped me at my door completely off route after asking the passengers if it was Ok.

Always has that story behind it for me. I miss the days of heading to go get a new release on the day it was out. Back then you did what it took. Too easy now to download it to your phone and listen to it. It always added to an album. Going getting it, bringing it home and looking through the liner notes. Who produced it, whose credited as a writer, what samples are in the tracks etc.

I have the album on now. Based on seeing this thread a couple of days ago. I loved I at the time and still do. Great production, very varied as were the features. I remember 'It's over' being a big hit. Shame that his wife who featured on the track died a few years ago.

Talking of liner notes, i went straight to them. I had to see if there were any disastrous spelling errors like the way Xzibit was credited as Zizbit or something similar on 'The Streets Is A Mutha'!

NOW THIS IS A STORY...

HARD COPY GANG FOR THE W

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
Since this was released up until a few months ago I only bumped 4 tracks from this album (Space Boogie, Hardest MFs, On, Onsite & Bring Back That 'G' Shit).

Listened to the rest of it a few months ago, it's much better than I remember. It's Over was godawfulpopshit though.

Can't wait for the Joe Cool Cover and bonus song on the re-release.

Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Malcy

NOW THIS IS A STORY...

HARD COPY GANG FOR THE W

Yeah defo. It's the lengths that you would go to hear a new album back then. Don't get me wrong, Ive been downloading albums since the early days of the internet but it's just not the same and it never will be.

I remember trying to buy an album on the day of release and it came with a bonus DVD disc (remember them?). They wouldn't sell me it but I was with my Gran who at the time was in her 70's and not willing to climb the ridiculous amount of steps to the shop. I tried to get the staff to come down but they wouldn't take 1 min to come down so I could be age verified. Nowadays they'd bend over backwards for that sale.

Don't get me wrong, the internet in the past 20 years has enabled me to be exposed to hundred of artists I never would have been but the method and the subsequent effect has been incredibly damaging to artists.

I think this was one of the last few albums that I went out of my way to cop. Life took over and listening became easier. That's why concert ticket prices are so high. That's where the money is. Streaming gets you fuck all. Look at De La Soul...

So many bit I have to say few on this board thankfully laugh at people sat down listening to an album with the jewel case on their lap reading the booklet. But it was and always will be the superior way to listen. We always have that old heads.

Nothing better than the feeling of working for a wage to grab a physical and support the artist and everyone is happy.