Author Topic: What I think the west needs....  (Read 284 times)

Jome

Re:What I think the west needs....
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2003, 11:57:05 PM »

I think they did...and its kind of comparable they're both group trying to comeback and I was talking about the name

NWA sold more than 8 million album, and for a rap-group at that time, it was  :o :o :o

Not to mention all the publicity they got.. they were boycotted and demonstrated against.. even bad publicty is publicity.
NWA was on everybodys lips.
Not to mention.. Snoop have sold more than 15 million records all together, and Dre have sold more than 10 million, not to mention all of Eminems's sales, which many see Dre responsible for..

Dre + Snoop + N.W.A. = more than 35 million sold alone..
And I'm not even trying to read the numbers, there's probably a lot more..

Now compare to GangStarr:
Premo in a interview 3 weeks ago:
We bringing that old raw hiphop back, we're not trying to sell records, we trying to make good music, we never even went platinum...

The Watcher

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2003, 12:04:39 AM »
what the west needs is some new talent to come out and break some new ground. All the stuff from the 90's was new, nowdays everyone is all sounding the same, people need new subject matter

bring out golden state or the 4 horsemen, some new group

an nwa album would be dope, i'd buy it, but the chances of this happening are between 0 and none
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2003, 01:18:00 AM »
N.W.A. = $$$$, old name or not. Everyone knows who the members are. Dre, Cube and Snoop are household names. Dre producing = HITS. Snoop and Cube rapping = HITS.

No one outside of Hip Hop knows who Gangstarr are. Gangstarr never even came close to platinum. The only time they hit gold was with Moment Of Truth.

I do think the West needs something completely new too or a complete new sound by the older rappers.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2003, 01:18:43 AM by WestCoastVeteran »

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2003, 02:37:40 AM »
I would love to see this album happen, but we gotta face the facts......................
THE WEST NEEDS TO STOP LIVIN IN THE PAST
This is one thing that is reaaaally killin us...our biggest artists were our biggest artists in 92, and even tho Pac is the greatest, he can't make albums anymore.
People all around the country love old school west coast rap, but when they only see these same artists around now, it gives the impression that they are all we got, and people even say that if Dre ain't workin with somebody from the west, that person ain't gonna do shit.
This might be a liiiiiiil bit off topic, but thas only because I think the west needs a complete revival...stop livin off gangsta rap, gangbangin period, g-funk (even tho i still love it best) and soundin like we are stuck in 93. The perfect example is Dogg Catcha from Daz...the beat samples one of the biggest influential songs on the west in history, but this is like the 500th time we have heard it sampled.....half his lyrics came from older daz and snoop songs, just like his other song "get this party started"
Basically, we need a complete revolution.....even if it means we have to experiment with different styles and techiques of music, we will eventually find our place, i mean if u think about it, thas how we got big in the first place....doin somethin nobody had ever done..........

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2003, 09:45:29 AM »
I would love to see this album happen, but we gotta face the facts......................
This is one thing that is reaaaally killin us...our biggest artists were our biggest artists in 92, and even tho Pac is the greatest, he can't make albums anymore.
People all around the country love old school west coast rap, but when they only see these same artists around now, it gives the impression that they are all we got, and people even say that if Dre ain't workin with somebody from the west, that person ain't gonna do shit.
This might be a liiiiiiil bit off topic, but thas only because I think the west needs a complete revival...stop livin off gangsta rap, gangbangin period, g-funk (even tho i still love it best) and soundin like we are stuck in 93. The perfect example is Dogg Catcha from Daz...the beat samples one of the biggest influential songs on the west in history, but this is like the 500th time we have heard it sampled.....half his lyrics came from older daz and snoop songs, just like his other song "get this party started"
Basically, we need a complete revolution.....even if it means we have to experiment with different styles and techiques of music, we will eventually find our place, i mean if u think about it, thas how we got big in the first place....doin somethin nobody had ever done..........
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

mauzip

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2003, 06:09:16 PM »
There is no way in hell it would flop.  I mean this is a no brainer too me.  You are saying a Dr. Dre record would not sell millions?  Especially alongside him was Snoop, that grabs even more fans, and then Ice cube grabs more fans, then Ren although highly underrated will be the seller for even more fans.

And then to become even more successful (Although I wouldn't want this to happen) throw 50 cent and/or Eminem on a song, and you probably got like a million more sales.

Throw Nate Dogg on a couple of hooks, and damn this would be the hottest album in rap in years.

N.W.A means Niggas With Attitude...............you cant throw a white guy in there, unless its a song about Em's colour ie him being a WWA (White With Attitude)

U Know what Im saying.

U Gotta throw in Nate though, most def.

jesus christ. why does every guest on a nwa album have to be black? :-X

mauzip

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2003, 06:11:20 PM »
nobody would buy it and it would be the biggest flop ever ::) :-X

i'd definately wanna hear it though
you obviously have never heard "Chin Check" and "Hello"

of course i have. those 2 songs are hella dope. but do you seriously think that the people who make an album go platinum will like that shit? fuck no, they like ja rule and nelly. they don't want no music from the veterans in the rapmusic.

DX from A.T.L.

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2003, 06:28:56 PM »
As much as I love Snoop, NWA is Eazy, Ren, Yella, Dre, and Cube. Snoop doesn't fit in the equation. Snoop is Snoop and he's made to be a solo artist.

How many times have you seen "new" members of established groups bomb out. Van Halen, one of my favorites in Rock is not the same without David Lee Roth (Sammy Hagar and that other dude just lack that og chemistry). Earth Wind and Fire just isn't the same without Maurice White, Run DMC will never be the same without Jay, the Grateful Dead will never be the same without Jerry Garcia, etc. etc.
For the sake of argument, there are recorded Eazy Lyrics, if anything, I would insert particular rhymes of Eric's just to keep the cohesion accurate. And there is some good new talent coming from the west, but there is a whole lot of bad new talent coming from the west and that's just plain truth.
And anyone who has a half of brain of West Coast Hip-Hop history, knows that the west-coast was started by the heavy and only influence of East coast acts, then they got into a lot of techno music (Egyptian Lover etc.) and it all culminated with LA Street (Gang) culture, which is the predominate culture, so either you gonna represent your true environment or become a west-coast back-packer.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2003, 11:05:52 PM »

Thats Exactly what I think!