Author Topic: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #28...  (Read 607 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #28...
« on: June 23, 2005, 05:20:38 PM »
2Pac – All Eyez On Me (1996) 

Maybe it was his time in prison, or maybe it was simply his signing with Suge Knight's Death Row label. Whatever the case, 2Pac re-emerged hardened and hungry with All Eyez On Me. With all the controversy surrounding him, 2Pac seemingly wanted to throw down a monumental epic whose sheer scope would make it an achievement of itself. But more than that, it's also an unabashed embrace of the gangsta lifestyle, backing off the sober self-recognition of Me Against The World. Sure, there are a few reflective numbers and dead-homiez tributes, but they're much more romanticized this time around. All Eyez On Me is 2Pac the thug icon in all his brazen excess, throwing off all self-control and letting it all hang out — even if some of it would have been better kept to himself. In that sense, it's an accurate depiction of what made him such a volatile and compelling personality.  This album containis probably the best production he's ever had on record, handled mostly by Johnny J and Dat Nigga Daz; Dr. Dre also comes in to contribute the surefire single in "California Love".  All Eyez On Me is nonetheless carried off with the assurance of a legend in his own time, and it stands as 2Pac's magnum opus. You can argue all day about whether Me Against The World, The Don Kiluminati: The 7 Day Theory or this album is 2Pac’s best album but there is no argument about which is his most defining album.  This album is the album that really blew 2Pac up and contributed to making him the icon he his day.  It’s easily his most influencial piece of work.  It’s also the first double album in hip-hop starting a trend followed by the Notorious B.I.G., the Wu-Tang Clan and others.  Not many albums made in the 90s, let alone the second half, have made the impact this one has.

50. Dr. Dre – 2001 (1999)
49. Outkast – Southernplayalisticaddicmuzik (1994)
48. Jay-Z – Reasonable Doubt (1996)
47. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo – Wanted: Dead Or Alive (1990)
46. Redman – Whut? Thee Album (1992)
45. De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead (1991)
44. Fugees – The Score (1996)
43. The D.O.C. – No One Can Do It Better (1989)
42. Common Sense - Resurrection (1994)
41. Makaveli - The Don Kiluminati: The 7 Day Theory (1996)
40. Public Enemy – Fear Of A Black Planet (1990)
39. Ice Cube – Death Certificate (1992)
38. Gza/Genius - Liquid Swords (1995)
37. N.W.A – Efil4zaggin (1991)
36. Main Source – Breaking Atoms (1991)
35. Geto Boys – Grip It! On That Other Level (1989)
34. Brand Nubian – One For All (1990)
33. Scarface – The Diary (1994)
32. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo – Road To The Riches (1989)
31. Beastie Boys – Licensed To Ill (1986)
30. Ultramagnetic MC's – Critical Beatdown (1988)
29. LL Cool J – Radio (1985)
28. 2Pac – All Eyez On Me (1996)

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #28...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 05:31:54 PM »
I agree that this was Pac's defining album. Looking forward to the rest of the countdown.

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 05:57:12 PM »
Great album, but I think I still think Me Against the World is better...

Props for this countdown and hooking up the albums man...major props

Acgrundy

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 06:14:45 PM »
how in the world are you going to put this ahead of Makaveli?

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 06:20:04 PM »
how in the world are you going to put this ahead of Makaveli?

You can argue all day about whether Me Against The World, The Don Kiluminati: The 7 Day Theory or this album is 2Pac’s best album but there is no argument about which is his most defining album.  This album is the album that really blew 2Pac up and contributed to making him the icon he his day.  It’s easily his most influencial piece of work.  It’s also the first double album in hip-hop starting a trend followed by the Notorious B.I.G., the Wu-Tang Clan and others.  Not many albums made in the 90s, let alone the second half, have made the impact this one has.

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 07:18:14 PM »
#28????  I know AEOM had a way bigger impact on hip hop than this.  Good review though but kind of surprising.
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 10:34:00 PM »
that is my #1
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

D1G1T4L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Digital Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 11:30:24 PM »
this is some bs list, chronic 2001, 2pac all eyez on me, chronic, doggystyle, should be in top 10

The Watcher

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 12:34:16 AM »
'this should be.. ' 'this album is better than..' this is the mans opinion, nobody is going to agree on the top 50 albums of all time. stop complaining about it and at the end of all this you will have 50 great albums to listen to

props on the review
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Elevz

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 12:59:09 AM »
this is some bs list, chronic 2001, 2pac all eyez on me, chronic, doggystyle, should be in top 10

And who told you Doggystyle and the Chronic aren't? :P

I agree with placing AEOM where it is. It's not even that much of a genius album. Sure nice as hell, but it's not the most mindblowing experience you've ever had. Most tracks certainly do get boring after a while, although there's also a lot of timeless classics on this album. Influential as hell, maybe not always a great hiphop album but it was effective. Think of the fact alone that after this album, everyone felt like they had to release a double album. It's a shame AEOM needed tracks like "How do u want it" to become influential like that.

Oh well... Nice picking by C2K again. More props on the way  ;D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 01:01:10 AM by Elevz the #1 blunt roller »

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 04:43:38 AM »

when can some of you people accept that the Pac-Dre-Snoop west coast hiphop is just a small section of the whole style and that 2001 eg is impact-wise nowhere among the very greats and that also quality-wise it´s only top 10 for people whose taste focusses on this small section? is that so hard to get? some of you people haven´t heard one old Kane song, no BDP stuff, no Juice Crew, you have no idea how "Criminal Minded", "Follow The Leader", "Paid In Full", "Strictly Business", "Raising Hell" etc, sound, yet you´ll prolly end up complaining about no Kurupt or Suga Free album in this list. It´s getting tiring

btw, from an objective point of view and taking into account its impact, AEOM is prolly in the right spot. I find "Makaveli" so much better though, AEOM has quite some filler material, esp on disc two...but there sure are some classics on it and it sure had an impact

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 08:13:31 AM »
who says chronic wont be.

TheDeli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 09:44:23 AM »
I prefer 7 day theory, but good choice, props again

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 11:05:28 AM »

when can some of you people accept that the Pac-Dre-Snoop west coast hiphop is just a small section of the whole style and that 2001 eg is impact-wise nowhere among the very greats and that also quality-wise it´s only top 10 for people whose taste focusses on this small section? is that so hard to get? some of you people haven´t heard one old Kane song, no BDP stuff, no Juice Crew, you have no idea how "Criminal Minded", "Follow The Leader", "Paid In Full", "Strictly Business", "Raising Hell" etc, sound, yet you´ll prolly end up complaining about no Kurupt or Suga Free album in this list. It´s getting tiring

btw, from an objective point of view and taking into account its impact, AEOM is prolly in the right spot. I find "Makaveli" so much better though, AEOM has quite some filler material, esp on disc two...but there sure are some classics on it and it sure had an impact

*props*
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Thuglife

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Well if kurupt gave a fuck about a bitch...
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 11:15:04 AM »
thats a bullshit list
tupac is the G.O.A.T. and this is according to this list his "defining album" so it should be closer to the top 10 list.