Author Topic: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #23...  (Read 610 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #23...
« on: July 03, 2005, 11:26:51 AM »
Black Moon – Enta Da Stage (1993) 

Hip-hop’s most electrifying moments offend occur off wax, during those much heralded late-night freestyle sessions.  It can take place off stage at an underground club, top of the roof or right in the middle of the dancefloor; located is of no consequence.  A cipher is formed, the blunts are lit, someone plays beatbox and rugged lyrics explode from midcircle.  Like a be-bop “cutting session”, each member steps into the center and represents, spewing forth allusion of grandeur or stories about hard or fast living around the way.  The bullshit factor is cut to zero; the only person who steps away unscathed is the one who holds the lyrical gift like a loaded shottie- not the man with the right beat, trendy gimmick or correct number of half-naked girls wigglin’ ass for the camera.

Black Moon’s Enta Da Stage is a welcome return to the days when rap music consistently reflected true musical and lyrical integrity.  Buckshot Shorty, 5Ft and DJ Evil Dee, the young minds responsible for the sleeper hit “Who Got Da Props?” come wicked with a mind blowin’ LP!  Armed with the graceful jazz sensibilities that fused their last single, evened out by fierce kickdrums, resonant bass and brutal mic skills, the crew brings the first NYC record in a long time that successfully recreates the fervor of the legendary underground convocations.

“Powerful Impak!” sets the ball rolling with turbo trust.  The infamous “Baby Huey” breakbeat and “Scenario” cameo lay ampie ground for Buckshot Shorty to spray about his lyrical madness.  As evidenced on virtually every track on the album, this gruff-voice gangsta has insane skills; the brother is so smokin’ that he can boost of “[Shooting] and fuckin’ fair one with the Devil” and mean it.  “Who Got Da Props?” still holds up.  “Black Smif And Wessun” features talented newcomers Tek and Steel.  And both the title cut and “I Got Cha Open” keep things moving quite nicely.  But the album’s showstopper is “Shit Is Real”.  The tune’s sultry, serpentine alto sax lick, coupled with Buckshot’s Glock-toting boasts, make it a virtual soundtrack for reality’s never ending street narrative.  “How Many Emcees” and “U Da Man” (featuring 5Ft, Big Dru Ha and Havoc of Mobb Deep, Tek, Steel and Buckshot) bring things to a thunderous close, leaving the listener thirsting for more.

Enta Da Stage is a stunning debut that does not disappoint by any stretch of the imagination. The only term that adequately describes Black Moon’s smooth combination of funky jazz rhythms and ferocious vocal is “elegant madness”.  It’s nice to see that there are still shinning shots of originality to be found in a genre that is becoming increasingly overrun by bandwagon jumpers just out to make a quick buck.  Make this jammie a priority.

50. Dr. Dre – 2001 (1999)
49. Outkast – Southernplayalisticaddicmuzik (1994)
48. Jay-Z – Reasonable Doubt (1996)
47. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo – Wanted: Dead Or Alive (1990)
46. Redman – Whut? Thee Album (1992)
45. De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead (1991)
44. Fugees – The Score (1996)
43. The D.O.C. – No One Can Do It Better (1989)
42. Common Sense - Resurrection (1994)
41. Makaveli - The Don Kiluminati: The 7 Day Theory (1996)
40. Public Enemy – Fear Of A Black Planet (1990)
39. Ice Cube – Death Certificate (1992)
38. Gza/Genius - Liquid Swords (1995)
37. N.W.A – Efil4zaggin (1991)
36. Main Source – Breaking Atoms (1991)
35. Geto Boys – Grip It! On That Other Level (1989)
34. Brand Nubian – One For All (1990)
33. Scarface – The Diary (1994)
32. Kool G Rap & DJ Polo – Road To The Riches (1989)
31. Beastie Boys – Licensed To Ill (1986)
30. Ultramagnetic MC's – Critical Beatdown (1988)
29. LL Cool J – Radio (1985)
28. 2Pac – All Eyez On Me (1996)
27. Mobb Deep – The Infamous… (1995)
26. Eric B. & Rakim – Follow The Leader (1988)
25. Big Daddy Kane – It’s A Big Daddy (1989)
24. Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth – Mecca And The Soul Brother (1992)
23. Black Moon – Enta Da Stage (1993)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The Greatest 50 Hip-hop Albums Ever - #23...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 11:36:21 AM »
This review is from THE SOURCE (and it got 4 mics if you wanted to know).

This album is the shit.  I credit this and Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) for influencing albums like The War Report and The Infamous...  And obviously the other Boot Camp releases from Heltah Skeltah, Smif-N-Wessun and O.G.C.

Diabolical

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 12:01:09 PM »
Ill have to check this out.

We Fly High

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 12:35:24 PM »
Classic. got the og already, but props on this. who got da props. one of my favorites ever.. also you guy should check out the album called "Diggin in tha vaults", it has a lot of the remixes of tracks on this album, including the great "i got cha opin remix" track..

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »
i'll have to check this out aswell...props
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Like A N!gga Say Do

• 'G'
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 01:39:49 PM »
Dope dope!   ;D

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 02:21:43 AM »
::looks at albums that are ranked lower than this album and raises the people's eyebrow::

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 11:52:05 AM »
::looks at albums that are ranked lower than this album and raises the people's eyebrow::

haha me too
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 11:56:35 AM »
I don't get it, what the hell is "the people's eyebrow"?

Like A N!gga Say Do

• 'G'
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 12:32:38 PM »
nah its a NYC eastcoast classic. I understand if westcoast people aint really into it. But trust me eastcoast hip hop doesnt get more underground and hardcore than this.

PLANT

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 01:02:57 PM »
thanks for the hookup man.....im a fan of all bootcamp shit but sadly enough, has never heard this album.  im listenin to it now and it sounds real dope.

Elevz

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 06:30:28 AM »
Umm, well, in terms of "greatness", I really don't get why this album is ranked so high on the list. I've listened to some of it now and it seems real dope, and you're saying this was the blueprint that was used for classics such as The Infamous and War Report, but hardly anyone here knows this record. It probably deserves it's spot as in being one of the BEST hiphop albums ever, but speaking of GREATNESS, I don't know.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 08:55:18 AM »
Umm, well, in terms of "greatness", I really don't get why this album is ranked so high on the list. I've listened to some of it now and it seems real dope, and you're saying this was the blueprint that was used for classics such as The Infamous and War Report, but hardly anyone here knows this record. It probably deserves it's spot as in being one of the BEST hiphop albums ever, but speaking of GREATNESS, I don't know.

I agree

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 09:34:01 AM »
but hardly anyone here knows this record.
what difference does that make? the majority of users on this forum are under 16 and listen to commercial bullshit anyway...if you think its great, its great...if not, fair enough...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 09:35:52 AM »
but hardly anyone here knows this record.

thats the most retarded thing to say..you're talking about dubcc...DUBCC!
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008