Author Topic: Canada-US war of words escalates  (Read 839 times)

ToOoOoN!!!

Canada-US war of words escalates
« on: December 15, 2005, 09:11:55 AM »
Canada's Prime Minister, Paul Martin, has warned the US that he will "not be dictated to", saying Canadians expected him to stand up for their country.
Mr Martin was responding to comments made by US Ambassador David Wilkins.
On Tuesday, the diplomat urged Canadian politicians to watch what they said about the US while campaigning for January's general election. Mr Martin is fighting for re-election after his minority government was ousted in a no-confidence vote.
Relations between the two neighbouring countries suffered after Canada refused to support the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.
Last week, Mr Martin lambasted Washington over its decision not to join the global effort to combat climate change.
 Irked
After calling on Canadian politicians to calm the rhetoric, the American ambassador said: "Canada never has to tear the US down to build itself up."  "All of us should hope it does not have a long-term impact on our relationship. And that's what you have to weigh scoring short-term political points against," he added.Although Mr Wilkins did not mention Mr Martin by name, he suggested he was irked by his criticism of the US at the climate-change conference in Montreal last week.
But the Canadian PM said he was not trying to score political points by slamming the US but had every right to speak out in favour of his country's interests.
"I am not going to be dictated to as to the subjects I should raise," he told reporters.
"I will make sure that Canada speaks with an independent voice now, tomorrow and always, and you should demand nothing less from your prime minister."
Conservative leader Stephen Harper described Wilkins's criticisms as "inappropriate" and said no foreign ambassador should be intervening in another country's election campaign.
Canadians will go to the polls to elect a new parliament on 23 January, after Mr Martin lost a no-confidence vote. The minority Liberal government had been in power only 17 months.

all i got to say is Bush is an asshole and Martin is dumb as a mule

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Re: Canada-US war of words escalates
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 09:13:17 AM »
Yeah the Yanks are trippin cuz politicians stay takin shots at em....but what the fuck do they expect....whatever the US does affects us, so u damn right, US will be an election issue
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 09:16:26 AM »
Fuck Paul Martin. The gaps getting tighter, the debate tonight is gonna be damaging as hell to him.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 09:18:31 AM »
yeah thats gonna be fun to watch,Martin's cred go down the drain   ;D

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 09:19:16 AM »
I hate Conservatives but man Im a Harper fan....i might even vote Conservative
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 09:39:07 AM »

What's your beef with the Tories? Harper is good though, glad to see you're a fan. What's your riding?

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 09:40:49 AM »
yeah thats gonna be fun to watch,Martin's cred go down the drain   ;D

Duceppe's gonna rip him a new asshole again, then Layton and Harper will kick him while he's down.

Oh and I want to say it's bullshit that they won't let Harris into the debate. I know the Greens have no seats but they have official party status, and if my tax dollars go towards them I have a right to see them in the debate.

Paris

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 09:42:26 AM »
Those terrible commercials the Tories have may hurt them more than help them. I really could care less who wins. It's going to be a very minority government and I expect another no confidence vote in a lot sooner than 4 years.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 09:44:32 AM »
Those terrible commercials the Tories have may hurt them more than help them. I really could care less who wins. It's going to be a very minority government and I expect another no confidence vote in a lot sooner than 4 years.

I thought the ads were pretty decent actually. Tasteful at least, I hate fearmongering and negativity. Still early though.

Paris

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 10:15:56 AM »

What's your beef with the Tories? Harper is good though, glad to see you're a fan. What's your riding?

A pro American foreign policy and tax cuts that take away from social programs that me and my peoples need

Im from Etobicoke North......Libd up from the feet up....90% of Toronto goes Liberal anyways...not like motherfuckers vote around here anwyays

- Lewis Carroll

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 11:07:16 AM »

A pro American foreign policy and tax cuts that take away from social programs that me and my peoples need

Im from Etobicoke North......Libd up from the feet up....90% of Toronto goes Liberal anyways...not like motherfuckers vote around here anwyays

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the foreign policy but with a minority not much will get done in that way. Besides with Michael Ignattief pushing his way up the Liberal party quickly there will be a big shift to a pro-American policy from the Libs.

Who's the MP is that riding?

Paris

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 12:01:56 PM »
Roy Cullen....my Pops did some volunteer work for him

matter of fact Cullen came by my house one time for burgers...i was 13...watching rap city with Snoops Doggfather video on....
Roy Cullen asked me if i was a Snoop Doggy Dogg fan and smiled...i was like hell yeah

- Lewis Carroll

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 12:17:40 PM »
Roy Cullen....my Pops did some volunteer work for him

matter of fact Cullen came by my house one time for burgers...i was 13...watching rap city with Snoops Doggfather video on....
Roy Cullen asked me if i was a Snoop Doggy Dogg fan and smiled...i was like hell yeah

Lol, nice story. Is he just a backbencher? I've never heard of him.

Paris

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 12:37:03 PM »
its fucked up that the green party isnt in the debate
i mean i know they r pretty sad and dont receive a lot of votes but they still do receive millions of votes and they get millions of dollars in govt funding so they should have a say at least.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 01:00:39 PM »
its fucked up that the green party isnt in the debate
i mean i know they r pretty sad and dont receive a lot of votes but they still do receive millions of votes and they get millions of dollars in govt funding so they should have a say at least.

Yeah exactly. If the government is funding them they should at least get to be in the debates.

Paris