Author Topic: wtf is snoop doing?  (Read 1173 times)

Eihtball

Re: wtf is snoop doing?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 06:43:07 PM »
At least after R&G I think its fair to demand a "gangsta" record with Dr. Dre, DJ Battlecat, Fred Wreck, Meech Wells, Jelly Roll....on the production.

Remember when DubCNN interviewed him and asked if he'd do more gangsta rap, and Snoop was like, "Drop It Like It's Hot...that's a muthafuckin gangsta record right there!"  And he's right.  How is that joint not gangsta?  Just because the Neptunes produced it?  Just because it hit #1 on the pop charts?  For fuck's sake, he even references his blue flagg on the song, not to mention he's still on his usual king pimp shit.  How many cats you know that openly flaunt their Crip affiliations on songs intended for HUGE audiences?

FACT: Making the same music your whole life gets BORING....

FACT: Trying different styles of music is often a refreshing experience

Amen indeed.  I gave you a prop.

If Snoop kept doing the same shit he was doing in the 90s', nobody would give a fuck about him anymore...which is the case with everyone else down with DPG, including Kurupt, Daz, Nate, and Warren.  I stopped listening to those other cats 10 years ago (although I still listen to "Regulate" or "Dogg Food" out of nostalgia).  Why?  Cause they keep puttin out the same shit over and over, and I got bored with them, so I moved the fuck on, which is exactly what everyone else did to them.  Snoop?  I been listening to him since his "Deep Cover" days, and 15 years later, I'm still listening to him.  Because he knows how to reinvent himself, and thus sound relevent, so he'll always be fresh.  There aren't a whole lotta rappers I've been listening to that long, so I think that says something.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 06:49:44 PM by Eihtball »

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 06:48:08 PM »
word to cat with facts, but maybe, aint nuttin wrong with snoop workin with them bitches, shiit id rather hear snoop drop a verse for them than justin.......its music muhfuckas, aint niggaz dont get mo diverse than snoop, and he always ready to show luv to anyone aslong as he gets his paper to

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 04:30:05 AM »
At least after R&G I think its fair to demand a "gangsta" record with Dr. Dre, DJ Battlecat, Fred Wreck, Meech Wells, Jelly Roll....on the production.

Remember when DubCNN interviewed him and asked if he'd do more gangsta rap, and Snoop was like, "Drop It Like It's Hot...that's a muthafuckin gangsta record right there!"  And he's right.  How is that joint not gangsta?  Just because the Neptunes produced it?  Just because it hit #1 on the pop charts?  For fuck's sake, he even references his blue flagg on the song, not to mention he's still on his usual king pimp shit.  How many cats you know that openly flaunt their Crip affiliations on songs intended for HUGE audiences?

Amen indeed.  I gave you a prop.

If Snoop kept doing the same shit he was doing in the 90s', nobody would give a fuck about him anymore...which is the case with everyone else down with DPG, including Kurupt, Daz, Nate, and Warren.  I stopped listening to those other cats 10 years ago (although I still listen to "Regulate" or "Dogg Food" out of nostalgia).  Why?  Cause they keep puttin out the same shit over and over, and I got bored with them, so I moved the fuck on, which is exactly what everyone else did to them.  Snoop?  I been listening to him since his "Deep Cover" days, and 15 years later, I'm still listening to him.  Because he knows how to reinvent himself, and thus sound relevent, so he'll always be fresh.  There aren't a whole lotta rappers I've been listening to that long, so I think that says something.

+1

Westcoastfanatic

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 04:40:54 AM »
he's blaggin some pussy off the lead singer

I can understand that. Snoop already made a corny love song with Mariah Carey about 4 years ago so I'm not surprised.
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

Diggfinger

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 11:49:31 AM »
^^ you guys might be saying that shit now, but everytime Snoop does something new people are ALWAYS jumping all over him for not sounding like his Doggystyle days.

I think it was kindda suckerish to have Neptunes ALL over his new record, but if he wants to do that its cool. I bought the record, and it has 6 tracks on it that I like. I just dont see the need for him to stay in the pop music too much. He came up as a gangsta rapper and thats what he should keep doing.

Or would yall like to see a Justin Dogg ;D

Eihtball

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 12:07:30 PM »
^^ you guys might be saying that shit now, but everytime Snoop does something new people are ALWAYS jumping all over him for not sounding like his Doggystyle days.

I think it was kindda suckerish to have Neptunes ALL over his new record, but if he wants to do that its cool. I bought the record, and it has 6 tracks on it that I like. I just dont see the need for him to stay in the pop music too much. He came up as a gangsta rapper and thats what he should keep doing.

Or would yall like to see a Justin Dogg ;D

He IS a fucking gangsta rapper, ain't nothing changed that.  He may be working with the Neptunes, but the music he drops is still gangsta music.  Maybe you could call it pop-gangsta shit, but so what?  Snoop's always been a pop-gangsta, even since his "Chronic"/"Doggystyle" days - there was a time when G-Funk was pop, ya know.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 12:47:59 PM »
Snoop Dogg is not a Gangsta Rapper anymore, aint nuthing "Gangsta" about him anymore, and I think that People should give him Props for Still sounding Fresh , because he's one of the few Old School cats Out there that can make a good come back

Eihtball

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 12:57:34 PM »
Snoop Dogg is not a Gangsta Rapper anymore, aint nuthing "Gangsta" about him anymore, and I think that People should give him Props for Still sounding Fresh , because he's one of the few Old School cats Out there that can make a good come back

Please explain how so.  What is so different about Snoop now?  Why is he not "gangsta" anymore?

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 01:30:59 PM »

kingwell

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 02:03:04 PM »

Please explain how so.  What is so different about Snoop now?  Why is he not "gangsta" anymore?

The most popular excuse seems to be his beat selection.  But I stand by what I said before.

How many of y'all respect Snoop for keeping it real??  Let's take 'Can I get a flick withcu'   The lyrical content certainly isn't gangsta...   BUT, he can't rap about shit he doesn't do anymore, that would be hard...  When you make a song, you gotta talk about what's going on in your life RIGHT NOW, what you are feeling RIGHT NOW....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 02:45:42 PM by Kingwell »

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2006, 03:18:30 PM »

The most popular excuse seems to be his beat selection.  But I stand by what I said before.

How many of y'all respect Snoop for keeping it real??  Let's take 'Can I get a flick withcu'   The lyrical content certainly isn't gangsta...   BUT, he can't rap about shit he doesn't do anymore, that would be hard...  When you make a song, you gotta talk about what's going on in your life RIGHT NOW, what you are feeling RIGHT NOW....

gav09

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2006, 03:24:20 PM »
hes makin money
he's blaggin some pussy off the lead singer

Props Kingwell!
I will believe Detox when I hear a single for it and have the album in my hands.
but what if you loose your hands before Detox drops?

Eihtball

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006, 07:01:30 PM »

I disagree.  Snoop's an entertainer.  It's pretty obvious by now he's not banging with the 20s' in Long Beach, walking around with a blue ragg up in his left pocket, and doing drive-bys on muthafuckas these days.  Gangsta rap is gangsta rap...it's all fiction, by and large.

And I definitely can't see how beat selection makes a rapper "non-gangsta" by itself.  The earliest of the West Coast gangstas were rapping over production that was largely influenced by the Bomb Squad and Boom Bap from the East Coast, before Dre came in and defined the West Coast sound with G-Funk in the early-90s'.  Under that logic, those cats must not have been gangsta.

As far as lyrical content, I don't think it gets any more gangsta than Crippin' on a song that's a huge hit single, like Snoop does on "Drop It Like It's Hot".  Elsewhere, "R&G" had plenty of the sort of gangsta/pimp talk we've come to expect from Snoop since the "Doggystyle" days.

eNgIeS

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2006, 08:21:02 PM »
Snoop was suposed to work with Pat Boon (burning ring of fire) but it never eventuated

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2006, 02:21:36 AM »

*Props*

yeah..but Fact: Trying different styles of music...and doing it right  makes a huge difference.
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]