Author Topic: New Zelda for the DS  (Read 371 times)

Trauma-san

New Zelda for the DS
« on: March 24, 2006, 07:21:33 AM »
GDC 06: Zelda DS-bound
[UPDATE] Link is on his way to Nintendo's portable in an all-new adventure, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. First trailer inside!
SAN JOSE, Calif.--As part of its keynote address in conjunction with the 2006 Game Developers Conference, Nintendo has announced a new game for the Legend of Zelda series for the Nintendo DS, titled The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass.

Zelda DS Check out the first Phantom Hourglass trailer!
Watch | Download The game appears to use the stylus in a few different ways, such as drawing an hourglass shape to open a door, plotting out the path of a ship on the ocean, and writing numbers, though the reasons for the number writing are currently unknown. Gamers will also be able to use the touch screen to direct your boomerang shots, as shown when Link hurled his weapon towards targets on the opposite side of a chasm.

Graphically, the game has a cel-shaded look to it that's similar to Wind Waker, though there's a bit of Four Swords influence in there, as well. The Phantom Hourglass Link is almost a spitting image of his younger self in Wind Waker, with large anime-style doe eyes. The game is shown on the upper screen of the DS, while the lower screen displays your map, but occasionally, the two will switch places. The gameplay appears to rely on some of the same puzzle-based dungeon mechanics seen in previous installments, including hitting multiple colored buttons to affect different things in the world.

The brief demo being shown at the Nintendo keynote also showed Navi, the fairylike sparkling glow that let you see what you were targeting back in The Ocarina of Time, as well as an outdoor battle against a cool, squidlike boss that was perched atop some pillars. Link could attack from the bottom screen with projectiles, and knock the boss to the bottom screen, where he would finish him off with his trusty blade. There was also a clip of Link sailing the seas in a boat, and attacking enemies with a cannon.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is currently scheduled to be released later this year. We'll have more details as they become available.

By Jeff Gerstmann -- GameSpot

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146526.html

Jip

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: New Zelda for the DS
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 11:59:31 AM »
oh fuck, i thought i wasnt going to have to buy a shitty handheld games thing

i have to after seeing that :(

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 12:32:45 PM »
oh fuck, i thought i wasnt going to have to buy a shitty handheld games thing

i have to after seeing that :(

:o

lol

but yea thats tight, makin me wanna get a DS more and more, zelda has always been one of my favorite games to play

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 02:15:52 PM »
I like how they integrated the touchscreen so well into the gameplay. 

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 03:37:06 PM »
looks cool but i wont be playing it. im waiting for the one coming out for gamecube tho (twilight princess?). i dont even have a gamecube but im going to borrow it from my lil cuz or something cuz i gotta play it.

daWappla

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Wean! ... oda wos is?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 02:40:27 AM »
Fuckin Gamespot... I can´t watch the video.. just hearing sound... :/

Always looking forward to new Zelda games though...might as well be the reason to get the DS...

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 10:12:53 AM »

Always looking forward to new Zelda games though...might as well be the reason to get the DS...

lol try ign.com i watched the trailer there

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 10:43:12 AM »
looks pretty nice. havent even put my hands on a DS yet though. :( that looks pretty crazy with what u can do wit the touchscreen.
best Zelda though  is Ocarina of TIme.

daWappla

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Wean! ... oda wos is?
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 01:18:38 PM »

lol try ign.com i watched the trailer there

I did now.. forgot to check that out cause sometimes my explorer just shuts down when I visit ign and windows tries to send a report to MS.. doh!  thanks for the reminder.. lol

.. and I gotta say whoa... looks really nice... I really like the touch screen implementation.. like the ability to control the trajectory of the boomerang.. plus it´s graphical style.. mix of WW and Link to the Past... dope..

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 10:10:38 PM »
Like the article says, there's a little bit of 4 swords in there too, the little explosions and puffs of magic smoke when the enemies are killed, etc.  Really artistic.