Author Topic: Is The D.O.C. considered a West Coast rapper?  (Read 358 times)

West Coast Veteran

Is The D.O.C. considered a West Coast rapper?
« on: February 22, 2002, 09:45:19 PM »
If I'm not mistaken The D.O.C. only moved to Los Angeles when he met up with Dr. Dre and the rest of N.W.A. He is originally from the Dallas/Fort Worth area so would he be considered a Down South artist since The Fila Fresh Crew were? Correct me if I'm wrong if The D.O.C. lived in Los Angeles before that because I am not too sure.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
Re: Is The D.O.C. considered a West Coast rapper?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2002, 10:22:41 PM »
you aks this bout d.o.c...what bout KURUPT....he waz born in Philly and btw....hiz shit iz lyricwise much mo" east coast ifluenced than it iz westcoast.

so basicly what i"m saying iz dat if you consider Gotti westcoast than YEA....to answer yo question....lol LOL ;D
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2002, 10:27:25 PM »
Ummm well Kurupt lived in Los Angeles for a long time before he started rappin' in the industry. The D.O.C. lived in Dallas all his life until he met Dre.

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2002, 10:38:22 PM »
Ummm well Kurupt lived in Los Angeles for a long time before he started rappin' .

I GUESS you"re right......but despite the fact OF Kurupt livING for a prety long time on tha west he iz still very much influenced by eastcoast lyrical twistz .

Antonio

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2002, 10:46:46 PM »

I GUESS you"re right......but despite the fact OF Kurupt livING for a prety long time on tha west he iz still very much influenced by eastcoast lyrical twistz .

What about 2Pac then? LOL!

Naw.. a rapper is West Coast if he rep the West Coast. Kurupt is repping LBC now, but he's still cool with Phila. BTW he's signed to a West Coast label. Well.. Kurupt is neutral in my opinion. But fuck that. Kurupt is a rapper. Not a West or East. He's a man born in Phila that is living in L.A.

I dont really like when guys labels other guys.

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2002, 05:14:56 AM »
pac waz only born on tha east man.......no eastcoast twistz in tha rappin really....

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2002, 05:16:53 AM »

I dont really like when guys labels other guys.

I don"t get what you mean by this^^

Antonio

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2002, 05:47:49 AM »
Actually Pac lived for about 10 years in NYC. He used to be in NYC a lot. All his homies are from NYC (Stretch, Treach, etc..). He lived there with em both, in the same house. He shot videos and movies in NYC. I dont think he was just "born" in NY. He loved NYC so much than he was mad that BIG was the "king" of NY. By stealing his shit. Plus i think he was more close with Atlanta than L.A.! L.A. was just the city where he "worked". He was adopted by L.A. in his very final years, but... he was everything but a L.A. citizen. That's the truth.

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2002, 06:10:31 AM »
Actually Pac lived for about 10 years in NYC. He used to be in NYC a lot. All his homies are from NYC (Stretch, Treach, etc..). He lived there with em both, in the same house. He shot videos and movies in NYC. I dont think he was just "born" in NY. He loved NYC so much than he was mad that BIG was the "king" of NY. By stealing his shit. Plus i think he was more close with Atlanta than L.A.! L.A. was just the city where he "worked". He was adopted by L.A. in his very final years, but... he was everything but a L.A. citizen. That's the truth.

word ^....but i think you and I ain"t talkin bout tha same thing man....when i say "westcoast rapper" or "eastcoast rapper",south....etc(lol) i mean dat tha music and tha lyricz got sertain componentz that r relevant to each coast...i ain"t talkin bout tha city he liked...or where he used to live....i"m talkin bout hiz music ya feel?...

Antonio

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2002, 06:38:39 AM »

word ^....but i think you and I ain"t talkin bout tha same thing man....when i say "westcoast rapper" or "eastcoast rapper",south....etc(lol) i mean dat tha music and tha lyricz got sertain componentz that r relevant to each coast...i ain"t talkin bout tha city he liked...or where he used to live....i"m talkin bout hiz music ya feel?...

Yeah. Well... to me there's no difference at all between a West Coast rapper and an East Coast rapper. The most important difference is between a West Coast PRODUCER and an East Coast PRODUCER. Cause a rapper just rap over the beat. Kurupt is using West Coast beats, so we can call him a West Coast rapper now. 2Pac used West Coast beats (at Death Row), so we can call him a West Coast rapper.

The D.O.C., well... he made the history of West Coast rap, from Ruthless to Death Row, so.. yeah.. you can call him a West Coast rapper/producer.

Jome

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2002, 06:52:15 AM »

The most important difference is between a West Coast PRODUCER and an East Coast PRODUCER.

Yes indeed

Yes indeed

Yes indeed

Mac-A-Docious

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2002, 04:27:18 AM »
THE DOC IS WEST COAST NO DOUBT, HE WAS WITH NWA& DEATHROW HOW MUCH MORE WEST COAST CAN YA GET?HE IS AS MUCH AS RESPONSIABLE AS DRE ,EAZY ,CUBE& REN FOR BRINGING THAT RAW WESTSIDE G STYLE.

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2002, 05:03:35 AM »

Yeah. Well... to me there's no difference at all between a West Coast rapper and an East Coast rapper. The most important difference is between a West Coast PRODUCER and an East Coast PRODUCER. Cause a rapper just rap over the beat. Kurupt is using West Coast beats, so we can call him a West Coast rapper now. 2Pac used West Coast beats (at Death Row), so we can call him a West Coast rapper.

The D.O.C., well... he made the history of West Coast rap, from Ruthless to Death Row, so.. yeah.. you can call him a West Coast rapper/producer.

yea...of course tha production gives most of tha feel....but there r lyrical differencez (i mean..unless you only consentrate on beatz)....Kurupt haz lotsa RAKIM characteristicz in hiz rappin imo.
also, check hiz "kuruption" cd...you got an east c disk and a west c disk......but even when you bump tha westcoast disk ya can still hear many lyricz dat iz unfluenced by eastcoast slang and rappin tacticz.

Antonio

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2002, 05:21:35 AM »
Well.. of course! If you live in a city, you are influenced by that city... and by the rappers of that city. It's normal. Like Warren G grew up listening to funk and jazz, and you can listen to it in his albums.... Of course Kurupt is East Coast influenced. He got the Philly sound in him, but that's normal. He's still a West Coast rapper.

Dogg_Pound_Gangsta

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2002, 09:53:46 AM »
IMO  the coast that u rep is the coast ur considered.  kurupt is always hollerin lbc, west coast and shit.   and jigga is talkin bout new york and shit.  ludacris is always talkin bout atl so that what i consider them.