Author Topic: Should We Forget About D.R.E.?  (Read 1036 times)

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Should We Forget About D.R.E.?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2006, 08:19:16 PM »
Dre, Dre, Dre

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2006, 08:23:27 PM »
Dre, Dre, Dre

aint that the damn truth

the nigga hasn't dropped an album in 7 years, hasn't even been consistent on his beats yet everyone hangs on his last word everyday

shiiiiiiiiit, I guilty of it too, Dre just has everyone on his fingertips
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2006, 08:29:31 PM »
I havent really cared for dre for the last 6 years...His production is average and most of the time has CO producers with him. Dont me get me wrong. He has came up with some really dope beats but he is unconsistent...

Trauma-san

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2006, 09:04:57 PM »

Dre has to do this "lull" thing so people appreciate Detox more..

Yeah, I think there's some of that to it, plus, as we found out in the past, Dre has a habit of saving unfuckingbelievable beats for his album.  There is absolutely no way he went in the studio and did all the mind-blowing beats on the 99 album just for that album.  He sat on some of those for years I'll bet, they were too advanced. 

a616

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2006, 09:39:58 PM »

Just a little digression....I've always wondered what Dre's co-producers actual contribution to the beat? Because he's worked with several co-producers, from Yella, Mel-Man, Mike Elizondo, DJ Pooh, etc. And, just to clarify, I didn't satrt this thread to hate on Dre, like I said, I'm a big fan. Also, I never said we should look and depend on Dre to save the West, let alone Hiphop. Since his actively coming up with beats  anyway, he should be coming up with dope ones, that;s my point. Now for the "lulls", if he does 'em purposely, then its his prerogative right? Still, what's up with that? Busta hooks up with him and takes 5 years to come up with an album. Rakim even left Aftermath. Just can't help but wonder....

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2006, 01:30:52 AM »
dude is right...i remember when i would have bought an album for one Dre beat....now i dont even get excited anymore when i hear his shit...
yep
there are only a few dre beats after 2001 that i really liked

Denial! Is Actively Joinin The Revolution

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2006, 12:53:13 PM »
i disagree, dre has had some amazin tunes post 2001, like jus last night playin obie trices album....... every beat on there is dope, except look in my eys thats not too great. the beats off eminems album were amazin. games album dres beats were groundbreaking, some of dres best production woz on games album, if u disagree u r shud reconsider wat u think is good music and go get that paris hilton track in the outbound section, even the beats he gives 50 r great. jus cus dre doesnt produce as much anymore we shudnt count him out
Hittman is not a real person. He was a computer program generated by Dr. Dre and Mel Man back in the mid 90's. When Dre started treating Mel-Man like shit, Mel infiltrated the computer and put a virus in the hittman program

a616

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2006, 09:32:37 PM »
I think you should be the one to assess your idea of what great music is. Yes, Dre has still some good beats. But he is INCONSISTENT. He has more same-sounding beats than he has innovative ones. There was a time when you can line up all his beats and all of them would sound different, unique from each other and all of em would sound dope. Now, for every dope beat he makes, there are 3-4 boring repetitive beats. Back in the day, his beats were the standards over which other producers were being measured against; he was dictating and setting trends and standards. Nowadays, can you HONESTLY say that he is at par in terms of consistency and creativity with progressive HIPHOP producers like Kanye, Neptunes, Prince Paul, Automator, DJ Shadow, Danger Mouse...hell do you even know the last four cats I mentioned?!!!

mellowmanisback

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2006, 02:16:44 PM »
This is an interesting post.  Please, please forget about Dre!! Please doubt his skills!! Please doubt whether he can change music AGAIN!! Please do whatever you can to put his back against the wall.  That is when Dre comes out fighting and puts his best shit out. When you are sitting on half a billion dollars it's real easy to get complacent or not feel desperate.  Dre is really driven to make Detox his biggest sonic apocolypse yet, but any other motivation you can provide will be helpful. A616 has a lot of great points.  I love the dudes he mentioned.  I am a huge fan of all those guys, especially DJ Shadow and Dange Mouse (Gnarls Barkley by the way is amazing).  One thing though about all those guys you mentioned.  With the exception of The Neptunes all those guys build a lot of their music around samples or on samples alone.  Dre still uses a few samples but most of his stuff he tries to do from scratch.  That can be a danting task.  You mentioned a lot of his recent beats sometime ssounding alike.  That will happen when you use keyboards to creat most of the music. And that's a reason Dre is starting to move back to less keyboards and more guitars, pianos, bass, live instruments and orchestral sounds as we move toward Detox.  not only can that be extremely hard but it also requires a much larger budget. I respect Kanye but most of the credit for Late registration goes to Jon Brion.  I know he did a majority of the work on that album, as kanye doesn't really do a good job building tracks from scratch or building tracks exclusively with live instruments. It should have been labeled as produced by Jon Brian, and co-produced by kanye West. Dre on the other hand has always used live instruments as his main weapon for building tracks.  he doesn't really play them but he understands all them very well and how to get his musicians to use them to create the melodies, basslines, riffs, grooves, etc, that he is looking for. In the end though talk is cheap.  The proof is in the pudding and you'll have to wait for Detox to drop to know that you will never ever be able to forget about Dr. Dre.

XaNdEr

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 02:40:56 AM »
o please you talking like dre is a god or sumthing, stop dat shit, dre is just a producer who made 2 good albums up to this point and who put some others on the game, dont gemme wrong, i copped all his shit and albums and all, but you know, its not like dre is the only one making hot music

you talk like you brush his shoes every morning jus to please him, every thing you post is saying dre is good, dre is the best dre is that dre is this, you make me sick, its like your dre's mouthpiece, like you dont have a own brain, stupid ass

a616

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2006, 03:27:20 AM »
Hey mellowmanisback....thanks! You shed light on a lot of things there. Pointing out that he's relying more on instruments over samples does make a lot of sense. Thanks

Reventón Bogotá Rolla

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • High Roller
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2006, 04:27:40 AM »
...Kanye aint got shit on Dre

2009 Kid CuDi - Man on the Moon: The Guardians