Author Topic: Jay-Z Shelves Cristal At 40/40 Club, Urges Boycott  (Read 464 times)

Sikotic™

Re: Jay-Z Shelves Cristal At 40/40 Club, Urges Boycott
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 11:31:25 AM »
Cristal ain't gonna lose shit on sales.

And anyone that won't drink Cristal because The Camel and Puffy won't, are sad people.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 01:41:37 AM »
The thing is, even if they do lose the hiphop sales, in the long term he is safeguarding the reputation of the brand, because if it continued to be associated with hiphop, then the people who buy it because of its high quality may have started to be put off the brand as they didn't want to also be associated with that. This way they keep their credibility and safeguard the longterm validity of the brand.

Trauma-san

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 07:32:26 AM »
Cristal is likely an individually held company, and the people in charge don't like the negative image associated with rap.  I don't blame them.  Fuck it, they're sitting on likely a billion dollar company and they're supposed to care what some idiot in New York thinks about boycotting them?  If "Cristal" becomes the 'cool' thing to drink, connosieurs won't drink it anymore and that's their market, not joe blow buying a cd in New York. 

Don Seer

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 07:37:07 AM »

i dont see anything wrong either... its like when peple started saying moet chandon etc.. ghetto fabuluosness is a stupid idea.. flaunt the fact you have money.. by wasting it.. always the downfall of the "neuvo riche"..  be it rappers, mafioso.. lottery winners or whoever.. a lot of rich people are simply rich because they dont hemorrhage money in a wasteful fashion.

Trauma-san

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 04:56:05 PM »
Great book called "The Millionaire Next Door", if you ever get a chance, READ IT.  The average millionaire drives a 6 or 7 year old paid for car.  The average Millionaire lives well below their means.  The average millionaire is self-made (1st generation rich), etc.  It's a book where they interviewed over a thousand american millionaires and what they found out, why the rich are rich, is very eye opening. 

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 05:54:30 PM »
good for cristal

why do hip hop artists get so  :camp: about what people think

first opera
now cristal

lol  it's not like hip hop is THAT great of a genre

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Diabolical

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 07:23:55 AM »
I agree with Seer, the 'old' rich, for want of a better word, are that way because they look after their money.

And it's not like people only buy Cristal because of Jigga, it managed to stay around before they started mentioning it.

lol @ The Camel

coola

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2006, 10:11:34 PM »
Cristal is likely an individually held company, and the people in charge don't like the negative image associated with rap.  I don't blame them.  Fuck it, they're sitting on likely a billion dollar company and they're supposed to care what some idiot in New York thinks about boycotting them?  If "Cristal" becomes the 'cool' thing to drink, connosieurs won't drink it anymore and that's their market, not joe blow buying a cd in New York. 

cristal has always and will always be cool to drink...

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2006, 11:06:36 PM »
^i think it's "cooler" now to drink, now taht it's being boycotted by "cool" people like jay-z and puffy

coola

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2006, 10:02:14 AM »
^ lmao

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2006, 10:39:26 AM »
Jay-Z is doing the right thing. In fact I wish rappers would quit giving these corporations free advertising by promoting their products in their songs. Most of these compainies would just as soon take a shit on black folks than anything, fuck em, quit giving these corporations free publicity. I hope Jay-Z and them learned something from this, for giving these companies free pub when they turn around and disrespect. Fuck em.

For all yall that think that Jay-Z is foolish for doing this, obviously you don't come from where he sits, most of yall aren't black or from the US for that matter. Rappers were wrong for giving companies free publicity and now hopefully all rappers will wake up and stop doing that.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2006, 03:19:44 AM »
Jay-Z is doing the right thing. In fact I wish rappers would quit giving these corporations free advertising by promoting their products in their songs. Most of these compainies would just as soon take a shit on black folks than anything, fuck em, quit giving these corporations free publicity. I hope Jay-Z and them learned something from this, for giving these companies free pub when they turn around and disrespect. Fuck em.

For all yall that think that Jay-Z is foolish for doing this, obviously you don't come from where he sits, most of yall aren't black or from the US for that matter. Rappers were wrong for giving companies free publicity and now hopefully all rappers will wake up and stop doing that.

I don't think anyone is saying Jay Z is foolish for pulling Cristal from his clubs if thats what he feels he has to do. The main points of this thread are that to call the company racist is wrong, and that they have obviously done it to secure the long term viability of the brand.

coola

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2006, 05:48:29 AM »

you have it all twisted.. the amount of publicity jay-z gave the wine is insignificant, if you go into any liquor store, and ask for tope shelf champagne, cristal will be mentioned...

if anything, it's not publicity for cristal, but more bragging by rappers, they dont rap about how good it tastes, they rap about the status symbol it holds... it's just a clear cut case of flossin. it provides 0 publicity for cristal, especially because of the target audience that hip-hop is...

you will never see cristal advertise, because their reputation is better than any advert they could come up with...

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2006, 02:51:13 PM »

The only thing that gets me is where did Jay Z Christ come from all of a sudden? For years he has denigrated the black community himself by portraying it's acceptable and "cool" males as drug dealers, pimps, and gang members. He's reduced the image of black women to mute objects of shit, almost like items you can buy at a store. Luda said on Oprah there are women that are really like that, but most women aren't. However almost every woman in a rap video is. Jay Z may not have started this but he sure as hell didn't stand against it when it was his turn to make money.

Are the top guys at Crital racist? I don't know. Logic would make you think yes. They're probably also very classist and close minded, but we don't know for sure, and we certainly can't assume that saying you don't like hip hop or the mainstream hip hop community is something racist. Bill Cosby, BB King, outspoken civil rights activist Jim Brown, the NAACP, and the Nation have all stood against the poor morals and humiliation of black people that the current mainstream hip hop represents. Nobody says shit when Chuck D says Flav looks like a clown on his show, but if some middle to upper class white male said it everyone would be all over him.

It's a double standard and it's racism, and most off all it only hurts the black community. You think whites give a shit that blacks think it's okay to defend blacks against whites at any instance, or that blacks can be racist against themselves (and others) and whites can't, or that it's okay to automatically assume someone is being racist because he gives you a hard time and is of a different race. It's the blacks that live by this that end up going to jail, or getting kicked out of school, or leaving their pregnant girlfriends. Whites aren't affected by this, and if rich white America really does pull all the stops to keep blacks down then they are laughing right now, because al they have to do is let a few blacks get really rich (most of which will end up with little when it's all over) and let those blacks guide the poor blacks into man made hell. Who I truly feel for are the middle class blacks (the majority) who either get sucked in to the stret way of acting or get categorized as such, because all America gets to see are these terrible role models on TV and the whites end up thinking thats how blacks live and the impressionable young blacks end up thinking thats how blacks are supposed to live. It's God damn terrible.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2006, 03:23:26 PM »

i wish black people would quit feeling sorry for themselves you have it just as bad a dumptruck darrell who lives in a traylor park in oklahoma and pinto bean pedro who lives by cactus garden in east la  ::)