Author Topic: Who "killed hip hop"? Someone said them Franchise boys and others.  (Read 962 times)

Drudge

• Muthafuckin' OG
Compliments of Sohh.com

"While hip-hop is being declared dead by rappers, critics and fans alike, the south has never been so prosperous. Interestingly, Smoke, a proud south representative, agrees that hip-hop is deceased.

"Hell yeah. Hip-hop is dead. I'mma tell you who killed hip-hop... D4L and Dem Franchize Boyz. Those are the murderers of hip-hop, in my opinion. It was already dying. They just came over and killed it," Smoke revealed. "Nobody doing hip-hop is selling records. Lil' Wayne is the only motherfucka doing hip-hop that's selling, him and [Young] Jeezy. Hip-Hop is not what it used to be."

"I love D4L and Franchize Boyz. I love 'Laffy Taffy' and all that shit, so don't get it fucked up. I ain't dissing them niggas at all. They from GA, Georgia. I'm a Georgia nigga," Smoke added. "Me and Shawn we still make hip-hop music, but people don't wanna accept it because it got a southern twang. Hip-hop is wordplay, saying something, metaphors. I love hip-hop. I fell in love with Mobb Deep, Nas. These are the people that influenced me. People like Bun B. He's a hip-hop artist. MJG, Eightball, those are hip-hop southern artists. The old south is hip-hop. The new south...naaahh!"

I agree hiphop is dead. This South Shit is a hollow as it gets. However, lil Wayne scans are not all that great.

Bomb-A®

Re: Who "killed hip hop"? Someone said them Franchise boys and others.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 11:04:48 AM »
jacob the jeweler killed hip hop

peace

Addicted To Cake

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Whos Next?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 11:07:31 AM »
hip hop was good in the 80s & 90s. it wasn't untill the 00's when the south started coming up that hip hop died. they destroyed and its been garbage since.

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 11:32:39 AM »
nelly killed it.

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 11:38:12 AM »
that club shit... and all that Bling Bling, no im not saying Cash Money but the whole idea of flossin the most n shit

Eihtball

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 01:13:11 PM »
The problem with trying to blame any specific artist, record label, coast or whatever is that it's simply not possible.  There are many, MANY artists who have been responsible for putting hip-hop in the state it's in, from all areas of the U.S. from the East to the West to the MidWest to the Dirty South.  Even artists who created great albums that are classics can be blamed for this decline because they influenced other, lesser artists who exploited what they did and cheapened the genre.  Don't believe me?  Consider this:

-Public Enemy's "It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back" proved that the best-selling type of hip-hop was the type that generated a backlash from cultural conservatives - hence proving that controversy sells.

-N.W.A. exploited the "controversy sells" rule on "Straight Outta Compton" opened the door for MCs throughout hip-hop to use profanity (including the word "nigga") and talk about violence, sex, and drugs on record and get away with it.  Ice-T, 2 Live Crew, and the Geto Boys did the same thing, albeit to a lesser extent.

-Dre's "The Chronic" was responsible for making all of what N.W.A. pioneered more accessible to the mainstream, hence making more rappers want to become "gangsta" rappers to get in where the dollars was at, and thus allowing negativity to dominate hip-hop.  Albums like Snoop's "Doggystyle" also helped spread the G-Funk style of "The Chronic", which was a commercialized, party-oriented sub-genre of gangsta rap that removed all of the political sentiments of cats like Ice Cube.

-Albums like Biggie's "Ready To Die", Nas' "Illmatic", Mobb Deep's "The Infamous", and the Wu's "Enter The 36 Chambers" made gangsta rap dominant on the East Coast as well as the West, dethroning the last of the Native Tongues/jazz-rappers like A Tribe Called Quest and the political rappers like Public Enemy and X-Clan.  The East Coast had originally been resistant to the gangsta movement, but now it had succumbed to it as well.

-Shit, you could even argue that Raekwon's "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" began the obsession of hip-hop with capitalist tendencies and excessive materialism of the "bling bling" variety.  It was the first album in which the whole image of the mafioso-type gangsta rapper was practiced - you know, the kinda flossin' nigga who sips Cristal, drives a Benz, and lives like Donald Trump or Bill Gates.  After this album came out, many other East Coast rappers (like Biggie, Nas, and Mobb Deep) transitioned to the mafioso-type image, which Puffy, Mase, and Jay-Z exploited better than anyone else.

So you see, trying to point fingers never works.  I mean, think about all the rappers you hate today (50 Cent, Ja Rule, Young Jeezy, whoever) and ask yourself, "Who were these cats' influences?"  We all know Ja Rule idolizes 2Pac like a God.  50 has said that B.I.G., Nas, Jay-Z, Big L, and especially Mobb Deep (who he's now signed) were his biggest inspirations.  And I'm pretty sure I've heard Jeezy say he listened to Geto Boys, UGK, and 8Ball & MJG when he was growing up.  So what does that show?  Quite simply, that these other cats whom it's hearsay to talk about in a negative connotation played their part by inspiring future generations of artists that we believe suck.

hip hop was good in the 80s & 90s. it wasn't untill the 00's when the south started coming up that hip hop died. they destroyed and its been garbage since.

Nope...not even close, son.

Denial! Is Actively Joinin The Revolution

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 01:21:32 PM »
The problem with trying to blame any specific artist, record label, coast or whatever is that it's simply not possible. There are many, MANY artists who have been responsible for putting hip-hop in the state it's in, from all areas of the U.S. from the East to the West to the MidWest to the Dirty South. Even artists who created great albums that are classics can be blamed for this decline because they influenced other, lesser artists who exploited what they did and cheapened the genre. Don't believe me? Consider this:

-Public Enemy's "It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back" proved that the best-selling type of hip-hop was the type that generated a backlash from cultural conservatives - hence proving that controversy sells.

-N.W.A. exploited the "controversy sells" rule on "Straight Outta Compton" opened the door for MCs throughout hip-hop to use profanity (including the word "nigga") and talk about violence, sex, and drugs on record and get away with it. Ice-T, 2 Live Crew, and the Geto Boys did the same thing, albeit to a lesser extent.

-Dre's "The Chronic" was responsible for making all of what N.W.A. pioneered more accessible to the mainstream, hence making more rappers want to become "gangsta" rappers to get in where the dollars was at, and thus allowing negativity to dominate hip-hop. Albums like Snoop's "Doggystyle" also helped spread the G-Funk style of "The Chronic", which was a commercialized, party-oriented sub-genre of gangsta rap that removed all of the political sentiments of cats like Ice Cube.

-Albums like Biggie's "Ready To Die", Nas' "Illmatic", Mobb Deep's "The Infamous", and the Wu's "Enter The 36 Chambers" made gangsta rap dominant on the East Coast as well as the West, dethroning the last of the Native Tongues/jazz-rappers like A Tribe Called Quest and the political rappers like Public Enemy and X-Clan. The East Coast had originally been resistant to the gangsta movement, but now it had succumbed to it as well.

-Shit, you could even argue that Raekwon's "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" began the obsession of hip-hop with capitalist tendencies and excessive materialism of the "bling bling" variety. It was the first album in which the whole image of the mafioso-type gangsta rapper was practiced - you know, the kinda flossin' nigga who sips Cristal, drives a Benz, and lives like Donald Trump or Bill Gates. After this album came out, many other East Coast rappers (like Biggie, Nas, and Mobb Deep) transitioned to the mafioso-type image, which Puffy, Mase, and Jay-Z exploited better than anyone else.

So you see, trying to point fingers never works. I mean, think about all the rappers you hate today (50 Cent, Ja Rule, Young Jeezy, whoever) and ask yourself, "Who were these cats' influences?" We all know Ja Rule idolizes 2Pac like a God. 50 has said that B.I.G., Nas, Jay-Z, Big L, and especially Mobb Deep (who he's now signed) were his biggest inspirations. And I'm pretty sure I've heard Jeezy say he listened to Geto Boys, UGK, and 8Ball & MJG when he was growing up. So what does that show? Quite simply, that these other cats whom it's hearsay to talk about in a negative connotation played their part by inspiring future generations of artists that we believe suck.

spot on man! hip hop artists now sell out, its not about who can flow but wat can get played on the radio. some albums are ok but nothing compared to 36 chambers, all eyes on me, ready to die, illmatic, tical chronic and doggystyle
Hittman is not a real person. He was a computer program generated by Dr. Dre and Mel Man back in the mid 90's. When Dre started treating Mel-Man like shit, Mel infiltrated the computer and put a virus in the hittman program

J Bananas

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 02:31:29 PM »
the club scene killed it

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 02:58:26 PM »
The problem with trying to blame any specific artist, record label, coast or whatever is that it's simply not possible.  There are many, MANY artists who have been responsible for putting hip-hop in the state it's in, from all areas of the U.S. from the East to the West to the MidWest to the Dirty South.  Even artists who created great albums that are classics can be blamed for this decline because they influenced other, lesser artists who exploited what they did and cheapened the genre.  Don't believe me?  Consider this:

-N.W.A. exploited the "controversy sells" rule on "Straight Outta Compton" opened the door for MCs throughout hip-hop to use profanity (including the word "nigga") and talk about violence, sex, and drugs on record and get away with it.  Ice-T, 2 Live Crew, and the Geto Boys did the same thing, albeit to a lesser extent.

-Dre's "The Chronic" was responsible for making all of what N.W.A. pioneered more accessible to the mainstream, hence making more rappers want to become "gangsta" rappers to get in where the dollars was at, and thus allowing negativity to dominate hip-hop.  Albums like Snoop's "Doggystyle" also helped spread the G-Funk style of "The Chronic", which was a commercialized, party-oriented sub-genre of gangsta rap that removed all of the political sentiments of cats like Ice Cube.

-Albums like Biggie's "Ready To Die", Nas' "Illmatic", Mobb Deep's "The Infamous", and the Wu's "Enter The 36 Chambers" made gangsta rap dominant on the East Coast as well as the West, dethroning the last of the Native Tongues/jazz-rappers like A Tribe Called Quest and the political rappers like Public Enemy and X-Clan.  The East Coast had originally been resistant to the gangsta movement, but now it had succumbed to it as well.

-Shit, you could even argue that Raekwon's "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" began the obsession of hip-hop with capitalist tendencies and excessive materialism of the "bling bling" variety.  It was the first album in which the whole image of the mafioso-type gangsta rapper was practiced - you know, the kinda flossin' nigga who sips Cristal, drives a Benz, and lives like Donald Trump or Bill Gates.  After this album came out, many other East Coast rappers (like Biggie, Nas, and Mobb Deep) transitioned to the mafioso-type image, which Puffy, Mase, and Jay-Z exploited better than anyone else.

So you see, trying to point fingers never works.  I mean, think about all the rappers you hate today (50 Cent, Ja Rule, Young Jeezy, whoever) and ask yourself, "Who were these cats' influences?"  We all know Ja Rule idolizes 2Pac like a God.  50 has said that B.I.G., Nas, Jay-Z, Big L, and especially Mobb Deep (who he's now signed) were his biggest inspirations.  And I'm pretty sure I've heard Jeezy say he listened to Geto Boys, UGK, and 8Ball & MJG when he was growing up.  So what does that show?  Quite simply, that these other cats whom it's hearsay to talk about in a negative connotation played their part by inspiring future generations of artists that we believe suck.

Agreed it's too easy to point the finger to one particular region or any specific artist(s) it's alot more complicated than that and let's not forget about who REALLY control the rap game... The major record companies...

~Loyalty Is Everything~

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 03:41:39 PM »
Truthfully the Internet killed it. Artists can't put out music without it getting ripped off. Now instead of putting out good music everyone will have to buy, they need to put out music that the music buying population will buy.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 04:25:59 PM »

+1 again

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 05:57:37 PM »
The fame and the money

TuSlic

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 06:08:21 PM »
the club scene killed it

club scene been there since before rap exsisted

Vegasmac25

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 06:10:58 PM »
Puffy Killed Hip Hop with his garbage as Bad boy team.

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 06:25:50 PM »
Puffy Killed Hip Hop with his garbage as Bad boy team.

I was just waiting for someone to bring this up... :-\

I think Sean played an "important" role in Hip Hop's club friendly years during '97-'98 (IMO 1997 was the year the "having a club friendly rap song is a must" trend really started) but can he be blamed for what Hip Hop is today?

No.

~Loyalty Is Everything~