Author Topic: Dogg Food First Week Sales  (Read 1208 times)

xquistqban

• 'G'
Dogg Food First Week Sales
« on: July 09, 2006, 08:13:02 AM »
Does anybody know how many copies Dogg Food sold its first week in stores back in 1995.  I cannot find it anywhere.  Also, was it ever # 1 on the Billboard Charts?  Thanks.

Bomb-A®

Re: Dogg Food First Week Sales
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 08:24:49 AM »
Its was no. 1 The Billboard 200 on 18 Nov, 1995

peace

Eihtball

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 09:15:25 AM »
It did far better than "Cali Iz Active", if that's what you're wondering.  I don't remember exact numbers, but "Dogg Food" is certified 2x Platinum, so it must have sold pretty well in its first week, considering that it produced almost no big hits on the charts.

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 12:30:13 PM »

its because it was embroiled in massive controversy at the time..

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 12:50:05 PM »

its because it was embroiled in massive controversy at the time..

That surely didn't hurt, but I'd attribute it more to the dope ass singles - "Let's Play House" and "NY, NY" were incredible songs.  I don't know how well they charted as singles, but I remember seeing both all over MTV back in 95.  The music was dope simple and plain, and contrary to popular belief these days, that can actually sell a record moreso than controversy / hype / promotion. 

acgrundy

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 05:43:20 PM »
The singles definately were not that big as far as deathrow singles go

The Predator

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 05:47:53 PM »
It came out like a year late.

Eihtball

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 06:31:38 AM »
That surely didn't hurt, but I'd attribute it more to the dope ass singles - "Let's Play House" and "NY, NY" were incredible songs.  I don't know how well they charted as singles, but I remember seeing both all over MTV back in 95.  The music was dope simple and plain, and contrary to popular belief these days, that can actually sell a record moreso than controversy / hype / promotion. 

This coming from the same cat who once argued with me that it was only hype that made "Candy Shop" a huge hit?

"Dogg Food" definitely sold more because of the controversy than anything else.  "Let's Play House" was a moderate hit, but it was certainly not a big success in spite of the promotion (do you know anyone besides West Coast hip-hop fans bumping that shit today?)  Its highest chart position was #45 and "NY, NY" I remember was considered a HUGE failure because of all the money spent on the video (I can't seem to find evidence of it hitting the Top 100 at all!)

Don Seer

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 06:36:05 AM »

^ yup for sure..

people look back at 95/96 with rose tinted specs.. hell half of them on here who talk this way were no more than 5 years old at the time..

westkoastanostra

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 07:47:21 AM »

This coming from the same cat who once argued with me that it was only hype that made "Candy Shop" a huge hit?

"Dogg Food" definitely sold more because of the controversy than anything else.  "Let's Play House" was a moderate hit, but it was certainly not a big success in spite of the promotion (do you know anyone besides West Coast hip-hop fans bumping that shit today?)  Its highest chart position was #45 and "NY, NY" I remember was considered a HUGE failure because of all the money spent on the video (I can't seem to find evidence of it hitting the Top 100 at all!)

yup...cant argue with this....

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 07:59:28 AM »

yup...cant argue with this....

The music was and still is dope indeed but that wasn't the reason why Dogg Food was a succes, controversy sells...

~Loyalty Is Everything~

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 08:12:22 AM »

^ yup for sure..

people look back at 95/96 with rose tinted specs.. hell half of them on here who talk this way were no more than 5 years old at the time..

agreed

I remember people debating me over what was the better CD to buy at the time, Dogg Food or Cypress Hill's Temple of Boom. I remember more people wanting Temple of Boom (a great CD in it's own rights) over Dogg Food. Let's Play House was an ok single, but Illusions was fucking up westcoast radio, and Dogg Pound and Death Row were starting to take a back set to the Ice Cube/Cypress Hill beef and lets not forget the Luniz had the biggest single of 95. Also, Dogg Food dropped 2 months before California Love debuted on Cali radio, and basically The Dogg Pound was a secondary album, or a set up to what was a huge 96 for Death Row, and the unleasing of 2Pac.

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »
But at the end of the day it's still a classic no matter what the reasons were for it to go 2x platinum...

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Don Seer

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 08:24:07 AM »

IMO its not a true classic.. its just an older decent album...

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 08:34:54 AM »

IMO its not a true classic.. its just an older decent album...

Opinions vary and that's a good thing...  8)

When I first popped it in my CD player and Dogg Pound Gangstaz came on that was it, I already knew right then that this album was gonna be a classic (at least to me) but I remember some of my friends at that time weren't really feeling it because of the beats they were expecting songs produced by Dre... Didn't really bother me though, Daz was already in my top 5 of favourite producers at that time...

~Loyalty Is Everything~