Author Topic: Dogg Food First Week Sales  (Read 1212 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Dogg Food First Week Sales
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 08:44:03 AM »
Illamatic, Makaveli, Paid in Full, The Chronic, Ready to Die, those are classics.

Dogg Food, Doggystyle, the Predator, those a great albums that have great replay value. People forget the difference.

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 08:45:51 AM »
Illamatic, Makaveli, Paid in Full, The Chronic, Ready to Die, those are classics.

Dogg Food, Doggystyle, the Predator, those a great albums that have great replay value. People forget the difference.

Doggystyle NOT a classic?!!

~Loyalty Is Everything~

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 08:52:17 AM »

you heard right... listen to Snoops lyrics, and tell me his flow didn't hide most of his weakness. He had classic singles off that CD.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 08:58:40 AM »
Doogystyle is definetly a classic, Dogg Food aint.

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 09:14:12 AM »

you heard right... listen to Snoops lyrics, and tell me his flow didn't hide most of his weakness. He had classic singles off that CD.

And what weakness would that be? C'mon mane this was his first album anyway and look what it had turned in to, it's the total package: GREAT production, GREAT guest appearances (not in abundance) that fitted in just right and Snoop was just... GREAT! I mean he was hungry and tight as fuck back then and they certainly didn't make this album just for the money cause D.R. hadn't blown up that big at that time...

I agree with all the albums you classified as classics but Doggystyle definitely deserves to be on that list too...

~Loyalty Is Everything~

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 09:16:10 AM »
After relistening to Doggystyle for the 100000000000th time, i redeclair it a classic... lol  :D

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 09:18:31 AM »
After relistening to Doggystyle for the 100000000000th time, i redeclair it a classic... lol  :D
lol

Tha_Blaq_Sinattra

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 09:54:25 AM »
Albums do about 10 times what the first week sold. So Dogg Food probably sold around 200,000 the first week.

www.myspace.com/thablaqsinattra

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 10:11:05 AM »
i dont know how anyone can not think doggystyle is a classic

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 10:37:59 AM »

its because it was embroiled in massive controversy at the time..

That surely didn't hurt, but I'd attribute it more to the dope ass singles - "Let's Play House" and "NY, NY" were incredible songs.  I don't know how well they charted as singles, but I remember seeing both all over MTV back in 95.  The music was dope simple and plain, and contrary to popular belief these days, that can actually sell a record moreso than controversy / hype / promotion. 

Lets play house, what a greats song

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 10:52:18 AM »
Dogg Food is a classic to me...

Crip2Nite: South Central LA's HoOdSTAr

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 10:53:50 AM »
Doggystyle is without question a classic....If anything, Makaveli is no where near a classic album..a good album nonetheless

Trying to compare CIA to Dogg Food is like trying to compare Doggystyle to R&G....You can't...Different times and different eras...CIA is a very good album for the time we are in. Bacc then you had to either purchase the album or wait for a DJ to play cuts off the album before it was released in order to hear it. People bought albums bacc in 95. You didn't have the luxury of the internet, yousendit, megaupload, and rapidshare. The internet was there in 95 but it was not as wide spread as it is today where almost everyone is connected to the web someway somehow, so you can't compare Dogg Food to CIA.

LOL...U Mad? Fag :laugh:
Fuck that fake ass crip Crip2nite.  Gets on my nerves how some people on these forums

Hectic

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • 60,000 RECORDS SOLD OUT THE TRUNK!!!!
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 01:30:07 PM »
classic... lets play house was a dope track, come on now...

IM STILL BUMPING MY MUSIC
                                                              www.myspace.com/hectic 

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 01:25:12 AM »
Classic! i dont give a fuck what anyone else says...And i dont care how much controversey there was. Nobody really knows why it sold, thats all specualtion and opinion. Bottom Line it sold 2X platinum and its a great cd. Fire Lyrics up and down! Wow Kurupt killed that whole cd.

The Best of 3 Worlds

Eihtball

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 07:22:14 AM »

IMO its not a true classic.. its just an older decent album...

Opinions vary and that's a good thing...  8)

When I first popped it in my CD player and Dogg Pound Gangstaz came on that was it, I already knew right then that this album was gonna be a classic (at least to me) but I remember some of my friends at that time weren't really feeling it because of the beats they were expecting songs produced by Dre... Didn't really bother me though, Daz was already in my top 5 of favourite producers at that time...

Opinions may vary, but "classic status" ain't an opinion, it's earned.

Face it...who else besides you and the other cats from DubCC are bumping this album today?  Do you think anyone remembers "Let's Play House" or "NY, NY" the way that they remember "Nuthin But A G Thang" or "Gin and Juice"?  Of course not...because "Dogg Food" ain't no classic.  It's an excellent album, IMO, but that don't make it a classic automatically.

West Coast fans have a tendency to call any album they like a classic.  That's just not the way it works.  I have the impression most of y'all are 15-year olds who probably heard the album for the first time only like 2 years ago (if that) anyway.  But y'all gotta learn - if an album doesn't stand the test of time, it doesn't deserve "classic" status.

If you're the only person you know (again, besides other West Coast fans) bumping "Dogg Food" after 10 years, then your opinion doesn't seem to hold up.