Author Topic: Glasses Malone speaks on Jay-Z and the West Coast  (Read 877 times)

E. J. Rizo

Re: Glasses Malone speaks on Jay-Z and the West Coast
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 08:48:28 AM »
Fuck that i still want my Westcoast Gangsta Rap... there is room to have both... its Entertainment... these guys arent roll models... if they are to you then u got a problem... its like the whole Grand Theft Auto Debate... fun game... if it influences u... then you fucked up.... a game of acctually being a good citizen on that game would suck... its so fun and good because you do bad shit...

but there is room for both that Gangsta Rap and the "grown up" or "mature" rap that he is talkin about... look at Pac... he had a good mixture

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 09:03:36 AM »
^ there is room for both... but something needed to be said because in the hearts and minds of many fans they don't make room for both... they just side with the hard gangsta shit..
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

Chief

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 09:28:38 AM »
i think g.malone was just backing jigga up a bit... seems like everyone is dissin the fuck out of jay-z, and everyone (including youngstas on forums) are joining the hate jay-z bandwagon because he released an ultimo pop album...

the album is good, i dont see why the hate, i got bored of D.A after 1 spin, i still play a few tracks off kingdom come...

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 10:00:44 AM »
^ I enjoyed the album... Lost One's is my favorite shit... Its the perfect beat for a song like that. I remember back when word was going around about this being made there was talk about possibly Chevy Jones doing the hook. That would have been a nice for her had that actually come about...

d-nice

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 10:07:09 AM »
I agree with what Glasses is saying but for me, I did not like Jay Z's album because his flow was off on a couple of tracks and it just sounded rushed to me. The content was good but it sounded like the threw it together. I own every Jay album he has and he can do better than this. That was my only beef with it. He is right about the west but like someone said earlier, there is room for both, maybe not on the west but music as a whole. Murs is a example of this. Dope album with no cuss words and just telling life stories and I do not hear but a few peeps talking about how dope this album is. It's like it's too boring for people because it does not talk about gangsta shit.

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 10:45:20 AM »
Malone is speaking the truth there, but on the real, I haven't seen ANY negative comments about the content on Jigga's album, but MANY negative comments about the overall quality. Ain't nothing wrong with growing up, as Malone is saying, but I don't think anybody is saying the opposite either. The opposite, of anything.

As for the khakis and lowriders - wether or not they do that shit in LA today is totally irrevelant. Khakis, Chucks, white T's, lolo's, weed smoke... - they're all CLASSIC west coast gangsta rap imagery, and it's not going anywhere. Those things have evolved into something that once you see those things, you think "westside gangsta rap". Every style and region got their own shit that's been there for years. Some got their teeth grills, some got Timbs with the shorts. West coast got what they got.

Besides, all that shit is a show, and both the artists and fans alike know it's exactly that. It's a show. But it's a damn good show, and while fans want to always see new things, they're always wanting and are always going to want to see that classic show again. And it ain't just with west coast rap, it's universal to all genres of entertainment - classics are always wanted. Like those classic 70's, 80's kung fu movies you hear samples of in Wu Tang records. I got some of those on DVD, and when you compare it to anything modern it stands out, you see it's old fashioned. But I (and many others) love that shit - the way they cut those flicks, how they zoom in, how the sets look, how they do their kung fu. That's a classic type of show that has its fans still in its grip. Westside gangsta rap got that grip over its fans too, and gangsta rap ain't dead yet. It's changed, it's evolved, it's matured, but at the heart it's still the same.

I'm still gonna want to see videos with Snoop in khakis and chucks, Dr. Dre in a lowrider blowing smoke at the camera. It's the classic show that I love and I'll always love it. Glasses and whoever are welcome to bring their new shit, I'm waiting for it already, bring it on. But the classic show is still there. What the fuck would the west coast be without one crip & one blood? A pair of chucks and a pair of khakis? A lolo and some chronic smoke?

Rant over.

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »
^ i can dig that... especially from a fans standpoint. But a lot of this is coming out because us L.A. and Cali folk want the rest of the world to know that we are much more diverse in style then whats been led to believe over the years...

Tha_Blaq_Sinattra

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 12:12:49 PM »
Fuck that i still want my Westcoast Gangsta Rap... there is room to have both... its Entertainment... these guys arent roll models... if they are to you then u got a problem... its like the whole Grand Theft Auto Debate... fun game... if it influences u... then you fucked up.... a game of acctually being a good citizen on that game would suck... its so fun and good because you do bad shit...

but there is room for both that Gangsta Rap and the "grown up" or "mature" rap that he is talkin about... look at Pac... he had a good mixture

exactly, cats could wear whatever as long as the musics tight. I would like to see some different Lo-Los instead of 64 chevys like Glass houses, Monte Carlos and Lincoln Towncars

www.myspace.com/thablaqsinattra

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 12:56:49 PM »
^ i can dig that... especially from a fans standpoint. But a lot of this is coming out because us L.A. and Cali folk want the rest of the world to know that we are much more diverse in style then whats been led to believe over the years...

Yeah, I can feel that. I didn't really realize it 'til you said it though.

thisoneguy360

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 01:55:43 PM »
That's cool I guess but it seems really hypocritical, since thats what he raps about and he was at the cali iz active video shoot (with the lowriders, khakis, etc)

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2006, 02:04:54 PM »
basically this dude just taking shots at SNoop the entire time

and people hate on Jay's album because it's not good, what a thought  ::)

his album most likely will do Xzibit #s
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 02:06:52 PM by Long Beach Iz Active »
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Tha_Blaq_Sinattra

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2006, 02:06:42 PM »
It aint to many 37 year old grandfathers out there unless they or their child had a baby in high school.

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2006, 02:25:52 PM »
Actually, there's a whole line of people that can be attributed to... but why take it as a negative as "taking shots"... Why not view it as someone wanting to see more people uplift in their music? Whats wrong with someone wishing to see more of that?

"Taking shots" is stuff like when artists run their mouths on other artists like 50, Game and others have done... thats taking shots... This is nothing of the sort.

And yes... there are lots of people that have had kids in high schools... its becoming more and more common.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2006, 03:06:24 PM »
That's cool I guess but it seems really hypocritical, since thats what he raps about and he was at the cali iz active video shoot (with the lowriders, khakis, etc)
How is he going to deny being in a music video with a bunch of West Coast legends and up and comers? It's not like he was aware of what the music video was going to be like before he got there (though it probably would have been an easy guess). And he doesn't rap about that stuff nearly as much as some fools do.

As for the statement, there is a lot of truth in what he is saying. Most West Coast rappers don't know how to grow with their lyrics, and West Coast fans won't let them. Although being harsh, Malone isn't really taking shots at anybody, but speaking on the West Coast in general.

*patiently waits for The Beach Cruiser to drop*

smp4life

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2006, 03:17:27 PM »
Glasses is the first guy to write a song about gang unity?????? lol