Author Topic: Doggfather is very underrated  (Read 586 times)

MIAMI4LIFE

Doggfather is very underrated
« on: January 07, 2007, 06:54:45 PM »
I was just listening to this album last night and to me it's Snoop's 2nd best, just cause it was released after Doggystyle it was considered a dissapointment but it's definitely a solid 4/5, not a classic or anything but Snoop still had that dope flow, plus it had Tray Dee who killed Downtown Assassins and Wake Up, Bad Azz, Techniec, Daz, Kurupt, Soopafly all ripped it, Daz brought 3 heaters, DJ Pooh had some dope beats, I can listen to this whole album and not skip a track the only other Snoop album I can say that for is Doggystyle

acgrundy

Re: Doggfather is very underrated
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 07:01:39 PM »
all tracks are good except for freestyle conversation, and too many skits.  should have replaced those with eastside party and head doctor

d-nice

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 07:13:21 PM »
Yeah it is hard to follow up a album like Doggystyle and there was alot of hype surrounding his 2nd album. I still bump Tha Doggfather. I would say it is probably his second best with BCT and TLM close behind.

late night

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 07:32:52 PM »
dope album i dont think it is underrated at all.

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 07:39:35 PM »
Its a dope album, but when compared to Doggystyle it just seemed lame.  Thats why so many people hated on it, Doogystle was so great, people were expecting something at that level and they didnt get it

~Lucien~

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 08:21:51 PM »
this is a masterpiece..
dj pooh came with that new sound in '96
very underrated by a lot of people

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 09:19:58 PM »
I like this record

WestCoasta

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 09:23:21 PM »
ah yea I've always thought it was underrated

probably my favorite or 2nd favorite Snoop album

The Predator

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 10:29:53 PM »
Doggfather was so wack.

Snoops on his second lp just sounded like a lost puppy without Dre.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 10:43:49 PM »
been sayin this for years

3 skippables

the rest is bangers
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 10:51:44 PM »
I think Doggfather doesn't get the recognition it deserves, but it's third on my list behind Tha Last Meal.

d-nice

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 10:57:32 PM »
Kurupt damn near made this album his own. He murdered every appearance on here.

Efrain

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 11:17:41 PM »
I think after Dre left and 2pac showed up the motto at Death Row recording studios was quantity not quality. It seems like Suge would rather a recording artist start from scratch on the commission of an album instead of considering music already recorded. In the case of the Doggfather for example they're sooo many good songs that snoop didn’t use its almost infuriating. All the unreleased stuff with 2pac, everything later released on "At his best" and "DMW" not to mention the still officially unreleased material I think that album could have easily been 10x better without any Dre production at all.

Doggfather seems a lot better now because of the decline of hip hop and rap music quality but honestly, at the time when Doggfather  came out it was a joke. I think Snoop expected it would be too that’s why he put that skit in the album about "dre not shaking the beats out" (or whatever he said - don’t have album on hand). I don't remember expecting Doggystyle pt.2 but hearing "Snoops upside ya head" as the lead single and watching that video sealed the deal in my mind that the album wouldn’t even be a priority buying. It really took me about a year+ before I even started liking it after it came out. 

Salo

• 'G'
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 11:43:06 PM »
Masterpiece !!!!!

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 12:23:41 AM »
It's hard to judge....it really just depends on what you compare it to, and if you compare it to anything at all. It was a solid album for any rapper at the time, and there aren't many albums from that era that are still as listenable as this album...but it was so far from being Doggystyle that it was hard for many people to even call it average, let alone good.

Looking back at Snoop's catalogue, I can see people placing this album anywhere between his 2nd best and 6th best album. It has some dope azz songs, but many songs were just decent filler tracks, and some were worst than that...and people were expecting the second coming of Doggystyle, so it makes sense that they were dissapointed. This album reminds me of when a NBA/NFL superstar has a kid who plays....they may be better than the rest of the kids or people his age, but the fact that they aren't as amazing as their father makes people say they suck and have no skill.