Author Topic: Grizzlies Looking to Deal PAU GASOL...Maybe to the Bulls?  (Read 367 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Grizzlies Looking to Deal PAU GASOL...Maybe to the Bulls?
« on: January 24, 2007, 04:58:09 PM »
Chicago GM John Paxson spoke publicly about trying to put a deal together to acquire F/C Pau Gasol from the Grizzlies.

"More will come down to if Memphis is in fact going to make a move, they're going to get the best deal they can get. That's what they should do," Paxson said. "For us, it's very difficult to give up too much. If it's just going to be a lateral move, I tend to keep the assets we have and try to find some other way to get better." The fact that other GMs are talking so openly about Gasol's availability is rare, and appears to almost gurantee the big man will be moved before the February trade deadline. You can bet that just about every team in the league is going after Gasol, but the Bulls are in a good spot with several expiring contracts, draft picks and young, good players to offer. If there's still a possibility of Kevin Garnett being traded this year, the Bulls are going to want to make sure he's not an option before making a serious run at Gasol.

but...

Pau Gasol says he's loyal to the Grizzlies and is upset that his ethics have been questioned, and the Commercial Appeal's Ron Tillery says that there's a chance Gasol could finish the season with the Grizzlies.
"I don't know how long this thing is going to last," Gasol said. "I love being in Memphis. I'm still here and I'm still competing. For people to second-guess my professionalism and my willingness to work is a real shame. I've been here the longest. I'm loyal to my team. I'm a loyal person. But from what I hear, I'm getting (lambasted). It's unfair." Gasol is still a likely candidate to be traded, but nothing is set in stone. If you own him, continue to start him until further notice.

Source: Memphis Commercial Appeal

Hmmm...Would be interesting, especially down in Chicago, that could really push them over the top. I heard it would be something like Luol Deng and Chris Duhon for Pau Gasol. doubt it'll go down though, not this year at least...PeACe

herpes

Re: Grizzlies Looking to Deal PAU GASOL...Maybe to the Bulls?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 05:56:10 PM »
yea there have been rumors about this for the past 2 weeks.  Ive heard gordon, deng, and thomas.  ive heard deng and duhon and a draft pick.  This a lot of rumors swirling around about it, but its lookin more like gasol wont get dealt untill the season is over.

Bay Area Jat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fremont A's
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 06:16:29 PM »
From ESPN Insider

Criticism Unfair
Jan 24 - Pau Gasol expressed disappointment about the situation, saying his request was misrepresented and the bitter fallout has been a bit misguided.
"I don't know how long this thing is going to last," Gasol said. "I love being in Memphis. I'm still here and I'm still competing. For people to second-guess my professionalism and my willingness to work is a real shame. I've been here the longest. I'm loyal to my team. I'm a loyal person. But from what I hear, I'm getting (lambasted). It's unfair."

When asked if an immediate trade would make his life easier, Gasol said he won't be consumed by constant speculation. -- Memphis Commercial-Appeal

The Bulls possess basically every element needed to trade for a star, specifically young talent, expiring contracts and draft picks. GM John Paxson gave a telling answer when asked if matching Gasol's $12.3 million salary would be the most difficult element of making a deal.
"In this case, probably not so much," he said. "More will come down to if Memphis is in fact going to make a move, they're going to get the best deal they can get. That's what they should do. For us, it's very difficult to give up too much. If it's just going to be a lateral move, I tend to keep the assets we have and try to find some other way to get better."

That's why trading two players from the core of Kirk Hinrich, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng and Andres Nocioni won't happen. -- Chicago Tribune

Gasol won't come at a bargain price. In Monday's loss at Denver, Gasol finished with 23 points and 17 rebounds, while the other four Grizzlies starters combined for 17 points and 7 boards.
"I know our main weakness," Paxson said. "We need a four (power forward) who can score. It's obvious. I'd like to address that. But I'm not going to mortgage the organization for that." -- Arlington Heights Daily Herald

"Gordon and Deng have more value today then they did before the season started," Paxson said. "That's a good thing if we're talking about names.
"The one thing I don't like about stuff like this is that their names are out there. Everybody in this league would love to have Lu Deng and Ben Gordon. I'm glad we have them, but it's very hard for them to read things and, hopefully, they understand. Until something happens, I hope they don't worry about it." -- Chicago Sun-Times

Paxson neither confirmed nor denied interest in Memphis Grizzlies star forward Pau Gasol, who's been mentioned prominently in trade rumors.
According to a league source, the Bulls offered a package that includes guard Ben Gordon, forward P.J. Brown and a first round draft pick in return for Gasol, who has requested a trade. The source also said Brown would be included in any trade made before the deadline. -- Daily Southtown
I've forgot more about music and sports than you will ever know!!!

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 06:47:36 PM »
I get the feeling when he said "I want to play for a contender" that was more of a wake up call than a trade request.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Vegasmac25

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 07:58:30 PM »
It would be good for both teams i think.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 09:38:14 PM »
I get the feeling when he said "I want to play for a contender" that was more of a wake up call than a trade request.

yea thats wut i was thinking.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 11:36:31 AM »

Yea, well Memphis just beat Utah in OT last night...Gasol with the fat triple double, Eddie Jones with the game winning shot...

It'd be nice to see Jerry West's team pick it up again, especially cuz I just acquired Gasol on my fantasy team for Curry and Nocioni.

d-nice

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 11:39:33 AM »

Yea, well Memphis just beat Utah in OT last night...Gasol with the fat triple double, Eddie Jones with the game winning shot...

It'd be nice to see Jerry West's team pick it up again, especially cuz I just acquired Gasol on my fantasy team for Curry and Nocioni.

Being a Bulls fan, I really do not want to part with Deng or Gordon, but we do need to get bigger on the front line. I wish we could have kept Curry and Chandler now that I think about it.  :'(

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 11:48:05 AM »
Being a Bulls fan, I really do not want to part with Deng or Gordon, but we do need to get bigger on the front line. I wish we could have kept Curry and Chandler now that I think about it.  :'(

Yea, I really think you guys shoulda' kept Curry and Chandler at that offensive/defensive PF-C combo...The Bulls were on to something in 04-05, they kinda took a step back with releasing Curry and then Chandler...I mean, you coulda had:

PG Kirk Hinrich...Chris Duhon
SG Ben Gordon...Thabo Sefolosha
SF Luol Deng...Andres Nocioni
PF Eddy Curry...Tyrus Thomas
C Tyson Chandler...Michael Sweetney

^^IMO, if that team grew together, they'd own the east right now...PeACe

WC Iz Active

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 11:49:13 AM »

I agree,  Eddy Curry > Ben Wallace

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 11:50:38 AM »

I agree,  Eddy Curry > Ben Wallace

Yea, and Eddy Curry+Tyson Chandler combo >>>>> Ben Wallace.

rik

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 11:54:21 AM »

Yea, I really think you guys shoulda' kept Curry and Chandler at that offensive/defensive PF-C combo...The Bulls were on to something in 04-05, they kinda took a step back with releasing Curry and then Chandler...I mean, you coulda had:

PG Kirk Hinrich...Chris Duhon
SG Ben Gordon...Thabo Sefolosha
SF Luol Deng...Andres Nocioni
PF Eddy Curry...Tyrus Thomas
C Tyson Chandler...Michael Sweetney

^^IMO, if that team grew together, they'd own the east right now...PeACe

Yeah man, that team would have been a beast out there.

d-nice

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 12:03:43 PM »
And looking back for the short time we had Chandler, we gave up Elton Brand for him. So I thought for sure the front office was going to keep him for a long time. I really do not know what went down with the whole Curry situation but I see the damage he is consistently doing now with the Knicks and it like, FUCK! If the Bulls are cold from the perimeter, they can forget it now. We do still get another draft pick from New York in the 1st round but the 2 prized big men (Oden and Noah) will probably be gone by the time we pick.

d-nice

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 12:14:48 PM »
Chicago got impatient. After all those losing seasons after MJ left and them basically coming out of nowhere 3 years ago and making the playoffs, they panicked. They saw the early 1st round losses as more of something is missing. The team is still young, they were learning how to win games and defensively they still are beasts at times but they still have problems closing out games. Curry and Chandler to me showed the front office what they could do but I guess it was not consistent enough for them to stay. And the past drafts have either been guard and forward heavy or we had a late pick. That is why I can respect the Lakers because they are allowing the young talent to improve and get better.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 12:17:26 PM »
And looking back for the short time we had Chandler, we gave up Elton Brand for him. So I thought for sure the front office was going to keep him for a long time. I really do not know what went down with the whole Curry situation but I see the damage he is consistently doing now with the Knicks and it like, FUCK! If the Bulls are cold from the perimeter, they can forget it now. We do still get another draft pick from New York in the 1st round but the 2 prized big men (Oden and Noah) will probably be gone by the time we pick.

The 2 prized big men? How 'bout Kevin Durant?...LOL. But yea, if you look deeper into it, just imagine what it COULDA been:

PG Ben Gordon
SG Luol Deng
SF Andres Nocioni
PF Elton Brand
C Eddy Curry

:o :o :o

And lets not forget off the bench- Kirk Hinrich, Chris Duhon, Tyrus Thomas etc...Bulls had all the right pieces, they're sill working with some nice pieces, but they really should be stronger than they are right now IMO.