Author Topic: Can U Werk Wit Dat = LAFFY TAFFY pt. 2....  (Read 912 times)

Mygla

Re: Can U Werk Wit Dat = LAFFY TAFFY pt. 2....
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 05:24:53 AM »
i'll quote myself from the video-topic:

DJ Quik is my favourite rap-artist, and one of 2-3 rappers i would even consider putting in my favorite artists-"section"... but this song has got to be the definition of selling out. Quik goes from being perhaps the most innovative rap-producer, to blatantly copying a lesser musicall style. If The Fixxer's album sound like this, it's the nail in the coffin for Quik as far as i'm concerned.  :( (I know this has probably been discussed over and over again the last month or so, but I haven't been online in a while ;) )

*edit*

from this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=O5VTW92LaZc

and this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_SsoL4R1A

to this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kfJ7rMW4O2o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kfJ7rMW4O2o</a>

that's like going from drinking hennessey to drinking piss...

man dj quik gave you a nice ass album dj quik - trauma
why cant he try something new? he already sold independent, he is trying to hit mainstream now..... let him do his thing

because this is NOT something new, and it's not HIS thing...

wardy

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 06:27:06 AM »
with this track and people like young joc on the album im not lookin forward to hearin this album, dont get me wrong i like the south like trae , z-ro , flip , cham ,jeezy,rick ross, t.i n weezy etc but shit like dem franchise boys n d4l is total shit

Tha Psycho Hustla

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 06:53:30 AM »
SUCKS A FAT DONKEY DICK.FUCK FIXXERS.FUCK IT.WACK ASS SHIT.CANT BELIVE IM HEARING QUIK AND AMG ON THIS KINDA WACK SHIT.*pukes*

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 07:00:16 AM »
it's sort of catchy. i wouldn't call it terrible if it wasn't quik or someone who can do so much better.

i bet you the whole album will be like this. i mean look at the guestspots.

KlevaThug

• 'G'
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 07:49:16 AM »
I wouldn't blame Quik for doing "Laffy Taffy" shit. Blame the music consumers. The most of today's rap music is bought by women, so no wonder why they make "laffy taffy" shit. I think that mens are more comfrontable with downloading and bootleggin than paying full price of the CD.

LOL, I 've been saying this for years now. Bottomline is Bitches buy cd's, Niggas D/L music.

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2007, 08:35:21 AM »
Listening to them both back to back I gotta say that "Can You Werk With That" is, in my opinion, a much better song. If music could be retarded, "Laffy Taffy" would be it.

HOWEVER

"Can You Werk With That" is still a God-awful song. And I hate to se DJ Quik doing that kind of shit. I look at Safe + Sound, Trauma, Quik Is The Name and I can't believe the same dude produced these masterpieces and this new Fixxers piece of crap. Quik sold out in the worst possible way. I can understand how he wants to get his money, but fuck sacrificing your whole sound and everything that make you great to do it. Quik really deserves to get rich off his music, but it's the music he did before the Fixxers that he should be paid for.

It'll be ironic as fuck if Quik really hits the jackpot with the Fixxers though. Several albums of greatness and classic material gone under the radar and then fame and fortune for some wack piece of crap, when it should be the other way around. And the worst part would be that a lot of people would remember Quik as "that dude who was in the Fixxers."

Fuck all that. DJ Quik all the way. DubCNN needs to do an intervention for Quik or some shit. ;D

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 09:04:42 AM »
I honestly don't know off top, but how many records has Quik sold?  I'm sure it's in the millions.  Yall act like he's a failure and never had any success. 

HD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WCCWF Champion
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 09:16:34 AM »
this shit is wacker than crack

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 09:28:28 AM »
In today's environment, the only way Quik is gonna get his name out there again is by making tracks like this. Who knows? It might introduce a new fanbase to Quik's catalogue.

Also, if this album goes gold on some South shit, it gives Quik some freedom to bring the funk on a future major release.

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 09:42:32 AM »
its growing on me :P...

i thought amg's verse was kinda hot actually. i really hate how quik flowed but amg doesn't really sound any different then he ever does.

LiLDuVall tHe CaLi-Vanian

• 'G'
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 09:59:15 AM »
quik just wants a hit so bad that he had to dumb down his music to just some basic simple shit just to get play..i can't blame him for wanting some exposure and to be mainstream i think he deserves it more than some of the other rappers who do have mainstream success

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 10:07:03 AM »
Hmmm.........

L.A. people have been on this song, and most haven't even complained about Quik sellin out by doin it. It gets great response in L.A. clubs and people always request it. However....most L.A. people at this point have NO pride in L.A. music, and would rather hear Laffy Taffy pt. 2 than Safe n Sound pt. 2.

If you ask me.....I can't really knock Quik for doing this...however....he NEEDS to realize that this will NOT help him blow up, or get nationwide respect even like he did in 91 when he first dropped. If y'all think about it...how many damm West Coast artists tried to blow up, or re-invent themselves by hookin up with the south and borrowing their producers or sound??? NONE!!!!!!!! Too Short didn't sell out, but did work with Lil Jon and Jazze Pha all over his last album..and it didn't sell much of anything in the south. E-40 sold a decent amount, but even though he worked with Lil Jon as well, they came with something different that didn't sound like Crunk at all, even though everybody insisted that's all it was when it dropped. But comparin "Tell me when to go" with a crunk song like "Get on my level" or "No Problems" shows that they are a LOT different from "Can you werk wit dat" and "Laffy Taffy" which do sound like brother/sister songs.

As for Quik doing something "different," he is, but it's definitely not his own sound as someone said. Herbie Hancock changed his style a lot for the album with "Rock it," and most of his hardcore Jazz fans hated it...but he was doing something a LOT different from the typical pop and 80's music that was out, and changed the game. So if Quik did abandon the funk to try somethin completely different, and it was hot, then we couldn't knock it...even as Timbaland has done by taking the pop formula and puttin his own thing to it. But this song here is nothing but a blatant rip off of every snap song out...and I still bump it and listen to it, but not as a Quik song.

BigG

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 11:18:23 AM »
One thing i can respect from DJ Quik is that hell tell u straight up that hes not gonna go westcoast wit this album.

He tells u straight up that he was making that westcoast music, album after album and he wasnt getting anything out of it.
So hes gonna try something different.

I can respect that cus hes made a bunch of westcoast albums thats made him a legend so why not try something that u usually dont do.
http://www.myspace.com/sickeyesbeats

^^Check out my westcoast beats

Lunatic

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 11:23:16 AM »
Hmmm.........

L.A. people have been on this song, and most haven't even complained about Quik sellin out by doin it. It gets great response in L.A. clubs and people always request it. However....most L.A. people at this point have NO pride in L.A. music, and would rather hear Laffy Taffy pt. 2 than Safe n Sound pt. 2.

If you ask me.....I can't really knock Quik for doing this...however....he NEEDS to realize that this will NOT help him blow up, or get nationwide respect even like he did in 91 when he first dropped. If y'all think about it...how many damm West Coast artists tried to blow up, or re-invent themselves by hookin up with the south and borrowing their producers or sound??? NONE!!!!!!!! Too Short didn't sell out, but did work with Lil Jon and Jazze Pha all over his last album..and it didn't sell much of anything in the south. E-40 sold a decent amount, but even though he worked with Lil Jon as well, they came with something different that didn't sound like Crunk at all, even though everybody insisted that's all it was when it dropped. But comparin "Tell me when to go" with a crunk song like "Get on my level" or "No Problems" shows that they are a LOT different from "Can you werk wit dat" and "Laffy Taffy" which do sound like brother/sister songs.

As for Quik doing something "different," he is, but it's definitely not his own sound as someone said. Herbie Hancock changed his style a lot for the album with "Rock it," and most of his hardcore Jazz fans hated it...but he was doing something a LOT different from the typical pop and 80's music that was out, and changed the game. So if Quik did abandon the funk to try somethin completely different, and it was hot, then we couldn't knock it...even as Timbaland has done by taking the pop formula and puttin his own thing to it. But this song here is nothing but a blatant rip off of every snap song out...and I still bump it and listen to it, but not as a Quik song.

on point homie 8)

props
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

SlickPants

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007, 11:25:51 AM »
you know i actually really like this song, its fun and catchy.  it isn't quik's most musically brilliant work, but not everything has to be.