Author Topic: The Case of The Forgotten Emcee....Warren G  (Read 527 times)

Re: The Case of The Forgotten Emcee....Warren G
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 04:37:12 PM »
this guys sayin forgotten not that he never shined.

k-dogg

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 05:12:46 PM »
What I really don't understand is why Dre, Snoop and the entire Dogg Pound crew don't work with Warren more often at least as a producer....I mean Snoop and Daz drop CD's every month it seems like and they don't really sell that well so why not get at Warren G?? I guess he will work on Detox but he won't be a major player...Did he even produce one song on the last 213 CD?? It just seems weird to me like he is some kind of outcast or something. 

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 07:35:58 PM »
His career faltered because he didn't make any business connections outside the westcoast.  He never worked with the top name artists besides Snoop, and even then he didn't really work with Snoop all that often.  He didn't place any beats on a major release for any artists.  If you don't keep your name in the spotlight people will right you off as a has been.  Part of the problem might be that he didn't evolve his sound.  G funk was over by 96 but he still tried to keep that original westcoast sound.  Just imagine if an r & b artist came out today and tried to do doo wop.  That shit was popular as hell in the 50's and 60's but if an artist came out today with that shit they would be laughed at.  Even besides producing he didn't make many guest appearences on other artist records.  To stay on top you have to position your self as a major artist and it just seems that Warren never really did that.

k-dogg

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 07:55:23 PM »
Metalgear....I agree with everything you just said...It's still just a mystery to me that Snoop, Daz and Dre don't give Warren just a little shine....Maybe working with Bishop Lamont was Dre's way of helping out but I still don't understand why he does not produce more on Dogg Pound releases..I thought he was Snoop's DJ back in the day.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 06:15:03 AM »
I mean, his name stayed around, and he got some play nationwide with "Game don't wait remix" and a liiil bit with Lookin at you...but everybody can't be at Dre's type of level.

It's funny though...at our BBQ last weekend, I played This DJ, and a lotta people were like "oooohhh shit!!!!" like damm, I haven't heard that in ten years..and I remembered it bein on MTV Top 10 every day for a while in the summer of 94.

That was a great summer.  "This DJ" was my anthem for that whole summer.  I remember I was young then, and I was just getting into hip-hop and I thought everything had to be hardcore like The Chronic and Doggystyle.  I bought his album cause of his affiliation with Snoop, and at first I didn't like it, but then it grew on me and became my favorite album of the summer, and it's still a classic to me.  It's the best music ever to play in your car on a sunny day and reminisce about a summer from back in the day.  The album is so smooth from top to bottom.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Soopahigh

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 07:35:40 AM »
I mean, his name stayed around, and he got some play nationwide with "Game don't wait remix" and a liiil bit with Lookin at you...but everybody can't be at Dre's type of level.

It's funny though...at our BBQ last weekend, I played This DJ, and a lotta people were like "oooohhh shit!!!!" like damm, I haven't heard that in ten years..and I remembered it bein on MTV Top 10 every day for a while in the summer of 94.

That was a great summer.  "This DJ" was my anthem for that whole summer.  I remember I was young then, and I was just getting into hip-hop and I thought everything had to be hardcore like The Chronic and Doggystyle.  I bought his album cause of his affiliation with Snoop, and at first I didn't like it, but then it grew on me and became my favorite album of the summer, and it's still a classic to me.  It's the best music ever to play in your car on a sunny day and reminisce about a summer from back in the day.  The album is so smooth from top to bottom.

So true...

Diggfinger

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 12:28:45 PM »
Warren is better than ever if you ask me. Beats are better, lyrics are deeper....

still cant figure out why people cling to that early ninties immature stuff ::)

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2007, 01:25:08 PM »

this dj is one of my favorite songs of all time. love the vibes that shit gives off.

Al Bundy

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2007, 01:31:13 PM »
Warren is better than ever if you ask me. Beats are better, lyrics are deeper....

Because it's their opinion asshat.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2007, 02:25:02 PM »

this dj is one of my favorite songs of all time. love the vibes that shit gives off.

No doubt!

teecee

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2007, 02:36:30 PM »

Did you buy Regulate when it came out?  People hold onto that because it is classic front to back, and it was true Warren G.  Back then he had the laid-back sing-song type flow, now he just tries to sound hard like everyone else.  His lyrics may be better now, and maybe he sounds more like a true mc recently, but what made him unique is disappearing fast. He was never the best rapper, just dope to listen to, a westcoast alternative to the hardcore gangster shit.

i loved Return of the Regulator, but i didn't even buy his last one, and i NEVER thought there would be a day when i wouldn't buy a Warren G album.

Lastly, ya'll are forgetting something IMPORTANT!  Warren never wanted to even be an mc, he never wanted the spotlight, he didn't even originally want to do a solo, but Def Jam through a shitload or $ at him so he did it. 

BUt on the real, i will never understand why DPG don't get him to do more stuff, i truly think Warren just doesn't get his hustle on, and also its quite obvious that SNoop does not respect Warren musically

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2007, 04:23:55 PM »
Perhaps Warren G is not as easy to work with as he seems?

He might always be busy...

He might smell...

He might not keep his promises and appointments...

He might really do stuff other then music most of the time.

I do find it strange that he does not seem to be acknowledged by his friends as the great producer and laidback rapper that he is, but perhaps he is more of a friend then a peer or collegue to them?
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

Blu Lacez

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 04:39:29 PM »

I do find it strange that he does not seem to be acknowledged by his friends as the great producer and laidback rapper that he is, but perhaps he is more of a friend then a peer or collegue to them?

^
   So true..but Snoop seems to use warren G sparingly..Perhaps it may be more an outlet for Warren G go get respect as an artit..Who Knows..

Blu!

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2007, 10:03:54 PM »
I don't know anything about this Reality TV show, but it is kind of dissapointing to see Warren doing it.  I know things change, but somehow we always want to seem him in his mid-90's role representing the LB, not some middle-aged, washed up, dude, doing anything for a buck.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2007, 11:18:50 PM »

You're the one pigeonholing the music because it dropped in the 90's.  Sounds like you're the biased one to me.  I never heard anyone say it was better because it dropped in the 90's. 

Warren can still put together a dope song, but in no way shape or form does his current stuff even remotely hold a candle to the "Regulate" album.  Unfortunately, you likely weren't conscious of that album at the time it dropped, but it was on some monumental flip the world upside down type shit.  That album / song were HUGE. 

I didn't buy Midnight Hour which is the 1st Warren album that I didn't support (I've always copped his shit the day it dropped).  I can't even remember what the lead single was, but I remember it sounded like he was blatantly copying that stripped down hollow feeling track a la "Drop It Like It's Hot".  (Hiim and everybody else in the industry for that matter).  I perceived it as Warren just exploiting whatever flavor of the week sound was hot at that time and I wasn't feeling that.  It had NOTHING to do w/ it not sounding like G-Funk.  It was just crappy overall and that's why I didn't support it.

And just so you know, Warren's post Regulate albums (w/ MH being the exception) hardly embodied the same production / musical feel as Regulate but they were still good albums.  There was some real growth and creativity on all those records. 

People not feeling MH is a product of it not being as good as his prior work, not the date of it's release.