Author Topic: The Official Football (Soccer) Thread  (Read 171667 times)

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Sticky: Football Thread
« Reply #3420 on: February 22, 2010, 03:59:38 PM »
Brazil's Ronaldo to quit in 2011

Ronaldo is the leading goalscorer at World Cup finals

Two-time World Cup winner Ronaldo has announced he will retire from professional football at the end of next year.

The Brazilian, regarded as one of the best footballers ever, has spent most of his career in Europe but will end it with Corinthians in his homeland.

"I've already made up my mind - these will be my last two," said the striker.

Ronaldo, 33, has scored 62 goals in 97 appearances for Brazil and hopes to be in squad for this summer's World Cup.

The striker, who is the all-time leading World Cup finals scorer with 15 goals, said there was "still a possibility" of a call-up for the South Africa tournament - despite not playing for Brazil, which will host the 2014 competition, since 2006.

"But for 2014 it's impossible - time goes by for everyone," he added.

I'll give my best and I'm hoping to have some fun and win many significant titles
Ronaldo

Ronaldo extended his contract with Corinthians on Monday and said of his remaining time at the club: "I'll give my best and I'm hoping to have some fun and win many significant titles."

It will bring an end to his 17-year-career, during which time the Brazilian formed part of the World Cup winning teams of 1994 and 2002.

The striker also played in the 1998 World Cup final, when Brazil were beaten by France.

The match became famous as Ronaldo's name was mysteriously missing from the team sheet, but reappeared shortly before the kick-off and he gave an under-par performance.

It subsequently emerged that he had suffered a convulsion but had been cleared to play in the match in Paris.

The striker, who began his career with Cruzeiro in his home country, won the Fifa Player of the Year and the Ballon D'or awards in 1997 and 2002, also being handed the former prize in 1996.

He moved to PSV Eindhoven while still a teenager, scoring 42 goals in 45 matches.

The striker soon came to the attention of Sir Bobby Robson's Barcelona, whom he joined in 1996, scoring 34 goals in 37 league matches.

But he only stayed at the Nou Camp for a season, switching to Inter Milan for a then-record fee of £18m, helping the Italian side win the Uefa Cup during his five years with the club.

However, it was at Inter that he suffered the first of a series of debilitating knee injuries that would affect the rest of his career.

His next club was Real Madrid, who won the Primera Division crown during his first season at the Bernabeu.

He returned to Italy in 2007 with AC Milan but made 20 only league appearances, before later joining Corinthians.

As to his future after he hangs up his boots, Ronaldo's agent Fabiano Farah said: "Ronaldo will become a representative of Corinthians abroad.

"We will combine his name and the importance it has with the strength of the club."

BBC Sport

did i fool anyone with my post above? lol.

Invincible

« Reply #3421 on: February 22, 2010, 04:10:26 PM »

Na not really but I did go and check it out on Teamtalk.

A legend, is all I can say really. He won it all. Probably my favourite player of this generation of football. After 2 serious knee injuries, he was still able to go and win the World Cup and be top scorer of the tournement. He won every European cup available, Champions League, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup. Hope he goes to the World Cup this year but its unlikely. He will be missed.  :(

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape
« Reply #3422 on: February 22, 2010, 04:53:25 PM »

Na not really but I did go and check it out on Teamtalk.

A legend, is all I can say really. He won it all. Probably my favourite player of this generation of football. After 2 serious knee injuries, he was still able to go and win the World Cup and be top scorer of the tournement. He won every European cup available, Champions League, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup. Hope he goes to the World Cup this year but its unlikely. He will be missed.  :(

yeah he was an awesome player in his day... but wtf was the whole deal with the three tranny hookers the other year, that was propa random but seriously funny. ;D

Lunatic

« Reply #3423 on: February 22, 2010, 04:57:46 PM »
no way he goes to this wc
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3424 on: February 22, 2010, 11:22:22 PM »
apparently Ronaldo is retiring at the end of next season.
Legend.

kemizt

Lil White Azz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Always stay G`d Up
« Reply #3425 on: February 23, 2010, 07:04:51 AM »

Lil White Azz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Always stay G`d Up
« Reply #3426 on: February 23, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »
Wazza  8)

Oh and that flick to himself and then the volley  :P that was great!

Edit: another Wazza goal and another assist from Valencia, great crosses !!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:18:52 PM by Lil White Azz »

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3427 on: February 23, 2010, 03:55:13 PM »
Porto peaking at the right time. Big 2-1 win over Arsenal mid week and they just defeated 2nd place Braga (we're third) 5-1 today.

Was your win on Wednesday that big?

I'd say a last 16 home win in the Champions League is pretty much a massive win for anyone.

Its something your team won't be able to get cos Arsenal are a bunch of fucking bottlers.

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape
« Reply #3428 on: February 25, 2010, 08:44:14 AM »
Bridge turns back on England

Wayne Bridge has made himself unavailable for selection by England as he feels his position in the squad is 'untenable and potentially divisive'.

Bridge has found himself unwittingly thrust into the spotlight in recent weeks following allegations of an affair between his ex-girlfriend and former Chelsea team-mate John Terry.

Terry was stripped of the England captaincy as a result of the lurid claims with Fabio Capello keen to maintain squad unity ahead of the World Cup finals.

Bridge was expected to play a key role for his country this summer with first-choice left-back Ashley Cole a major doubt for the tournament due to a fractured ankle.

Bridge and Terry will face each other for the first time since the allegations emerged when City travel to Stamford Bridge in the Premier League on Saturday.

The duo were then expected to meet up again with the England squad as Capello's side tackle Egypt at Wembley in a friendly on Wednesday.
Untenable

But the full-back has now announced in a statement released by his lawyers that he no longer wishes to be considered for selection.

The statement read: "I have thought long and hard about my position in the England football team in the light of the reporting and events over the last few weeks.

"It has always been an honour to play for England. However, after careful thought I believe my position in the squad is now untenable and potentially divisive.

"Sadly therefore I feel for the sake of the team and in order to avoid what will be inevitable distractions, I have decided not to put myself forward for selection.

"I have today informed the management of this decision. I wish the team all the very best in South Africa."

Attention will now turn to who will fill the left-back void for England, with Everton defender Leighton Baines and Aston Villa's Stephen Warnock the leading candidates.

http://www.skysports.com/football/world-cup-2010/story/0,27032,12098_5979800,00.html

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3429 on: February 25, 2010, 11:15:34 AM »
Porto peaking at the right time. Big 2-1 win over Arsenal mid week and they just defeated 2nd place Braga (we're third) 5-1 today.

I'd say a last 16 home win in the Champions League is pretty much a massive win for anyone.

Its something your team won't be able to get cos Arsenal are a bunch of fucking bottlers.

Oh well, we've never conceded against them at Emirates, so I'm confident.

kemizt

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3430 on: February 25, 2010, 03:04:11 PM »

the problem isnt conceding its scoring considering you're a goal down. Porto are hardly the sort of team that get turned over in recent times. It'll be very close to call.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3431 on: February 25, 2010, 09:52:09 PM »

the problem isnt conceding its scoring considering you're a goal down. Porto are hardly the sort of team that get turned over in recent times. It'll be very close to call.

That's true. But if we get one goal at home, I doubt Wenger tells them to get defensive.

kemizt

StreetsAllSalute

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #3432 on: February 26, 2010, 01:05:14 AM »
mascherano is such a fucking legend...fuckin crazy but still lol

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:28:26 AM by StreetsAllSalute »

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3433 on: February 26, 2010, 10:27:23 AM »
mascherano is such a fucking legend...fuckin crazy but still lol

your lot were shite in that game. Youll need to up your game massively if youre going to do well in the Europa.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #3434 on: February 27, 2010, 05:13:56 AM »
Hoping Ronaldo will go to the world cup absolute legend.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson