Author Topic: Raw Gangsta Rap Dead Forever?  (Read 699 times)

SP0RTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside para vida
Re: Raw Gangsta Rap Dead Forever?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 12:48:17 PM »
Yes it is dead forever. Back when it started, the best gangsta rappers were really just regular rappers rapping about gangsta shit with a lot of social issues (police brutality, etc) mixed in. When real gangstas rap they suck (spider loc).

^^ you need to check out Rep Yo Set, real gangstas killing it on the mic!
yea that album was gangsta

5 Albums I'm Bumping Right Now (In Order)
Blu & Exile- Below The Heavens
eMC- The Show
WC- Guily By Affiliation
Westside Connection- Bow Down
Wu Tang Clan- Enter the 36 Chambers

tALLkAN

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Whats GOOD?
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 01:25:56 PM »
Yes it is dead forever. Back when it started, the best gangsta rappers were really just regular rappers rapping about gangsta shit with a lot of social issues (police brutality, etc) mixed in. When real gangstas rap they suck (spider loc).

^^ you need to check out Rep Yo Set, real gangstas killing it on the mic!

real talk. some dope production on that shit too!
*bumps* song 5. avalon gangsta crip

westside159

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 02:03:02 PM »
Candy - is this not gangsta rap - Snoop feat. MC Eiht , kurupt , Daz , Goldie Loc , E-40  .  GOT MAJOR MAINSTREAM PLAY When it first came out and then the video just made it a hood anthem .  8) 8)

ExZit

• CPG Recordz CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • COMPTONS MOST WANTED
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 02:04:32 PM »
To me the key elements in the gangsta rap was:

A. Tellin the truth.
B. Tellin something new, that people havent heard before.

Todays version TOTALLY fails on booth parts... the closest thing to gangsta rap (or "Reality rap" like it was called) i hear today is rappers like Common and Lupee..

- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2006 - - -

- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2005 - - -

no1wammy

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 10:47:40 PM »
the street did determine what was hot..... and the suits with the big checks followed ...

see.... at one time radio with the exception of a few outlets were not playing rap music on a large scale....

street music that was hot sold via word of mouth .... and some of those songs had low budget videos which got played by a wonderful cabel network called THE BOX... THE BOX allowed people from all over the chance to play whatever was hot in their area, which was how alot of people got the chance to hear what was going on since Radio hadnt committed to rap with the exception of the rap/dance song....

Hard core/Gangsta Rap got its push by these street records having their low budget videos seen and heard nationwide on cable ..... YO!MTV Raps picked up on alot of these songs and started airing them....

The majors started picking up on these groups when these songs caught on with white audiences, which bought a shitload of CD's....

Radio made a nationwide commitment to Rap.... and thats when slowly but surely things started to change in to the system of what we have today....

But yes.... the streets did determine what was hot at one time... from yes y'all rap, to break dancing rap, beat boxing, gangsta, you name it.....   

Styles, you are my brother forever. THE BOX WAS THE SHIT! I remember watching that channel in the mid-90's during my Fresno vacations. That was my first glimpse of Snoop Dogg's "Midnight Love." Classic - will never forget The Box.

If people say gangsta rap has died out, then you are slightly mistaken. The only way you can really catch gangsta rap is if you hit the Chicano Rap scene. Sadly, the genre needs a lot of work.

List of rappers that can handle gangsta rap in the Chicano way:

- Mr. Shadow
- Wicked Minds
- Conejo or any Darkroom Familia member
- Slow Pain (used to do it, but has given up on it due to Hepatitus C issue)
- Spanish F.L.Y. (old stuff - dig "Soy 18 With A Bullet")
- Mr. Criminal
- Psycho Realm

And that's all I can think of.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 05:00:04 PM »
sorry but can someone explain to me the difference of a mexican, mexican american and a chicano...I always get mixed respones

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 11:49:10 PM »
Thats greatthat you guys like the Bloods & Crips cds, I like a couple songs here and there too. but you will never catch me listening to that shit because its old and not good enough for me to hunt down. Plus I think that was one of the more gimmicky ideas in rap.

no1wammy

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 08:11:42 AM »
sorry but can someone explain to me the difference of a mexican, mexican american and a chicano...I always get mixed respones

Mexican - Pure-bred Hispanic born in Mexico.
Mexican-American - Mexican born in the United States. Law states that all men and women born in American soil are immeditately citizens.
Chicano - Has two meanings:
1. Synonym for Mexican-American in a political aspect (think Cesar Chavez and the United Farm Workers)
2. Synonym for Mexican-American as a street urban lifestyle. Start out with Kid Frost, work your way towards Brownside, take a dose of some Spanish F.L.Y., climb up Cypress Hill, journey into the Psycho Realm and muevelo, muevelo til you witness the birth of Pocos Pero Locos.

A lot of radio stations don't want to play Chicano rap because of what it represents - gangsta music.

Al Bundy

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 09:12:23 AM »
You can blame that half of the rap stations are owned by one bullshit company called clearwater. The radio station is a business and they don't play music because they love it, they want money.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 03:42:54 PM »

Mexican - Pure-bred Hispanic born in Mexico.
Mexican-American - Mexican born in the United States. Law states that all men and women born in American soil are immeditately citizens.
Chicano - Has two meanings:
1. Synonym for Mexican-American in a political aspect (think Cesar Chavez and the United Farm Workers)
2. Synonym for Mexican-American as a street urban lifestyle. Start out with Kid Frost, work your way towards Brownside, take a dose of some Spanish F.L.Y., climb up Cypress Hill, journey into the Psycho Realm and muevelo, muevelo til you witness the birth of Pocos Pero Locos.

A lot of radio stations don't want to play Chicano rap because of what it represents - gangsta music.

yea and chicano rap is westcoast rap which is gangsta rap, they dont play westcoast shit period

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

arthurnelson88

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • RIP Buster
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 04:13:35 PM »
WE NEED a throwback section asap
I only fuck with 10's

Al Bundy

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 10:06:46 PM »
But that gangsta gangsta shit is played out. For real.

C-BLUE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • evil don't die
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 09:26:47 AM »
how can raw gangsta rap be dead forever when niggas in every ghetto is bumpin' that shit everyday. when they stop bumpin' then it's dead. only that ain't happened!.