Author Topic: Mac muthafuckin' Dre  (Read 846 times)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
Mac muthafuckin' Dre
« on: August 23, 2007, 04:10:14 PM »
So when I met We Fly High in person we just barely got to start talking about mac Dre before Rage against the machine took the stage. I just PMed him to continue my advocation of Dreezy and about the time I sent it to him I realized I wrote a little advertisory/introductory essay on dude and realized there's nothing i said to him about Dreezy that I wouldn't want to say to y'all so yeah I'm just gonna post it as I sent it and if it gets confusing just remember it was a PM I sent him. The bottom line: listen to Mac Dre.

Yo man, I meant to continue this convo in person but the concert got crazy.

Even though Mac Dre was very influential on the Hyphy movement, his music would not sound out of context on a mix of L.A. rap like DP and other Dr.Dre derivative cats. His shit's really funky, often laid back and his rapping-personality is addictive due to just how good of an MC he is. He tends to rap about shallow things (like most gangsta rappers) so people often overlook his skill but he's a good lyricist with a great flow and voice.

If you get the chance check out his last 3 solo records: Al Boo Boo, Ronald Dregan: Dreganomics, and The Genie of the Lamp. He was one of those rare artists who really improved his craft over time. If you hear those and you like 'em his 3 before that would be ideal: Thizzelle Washington, It's Not What You Say... It's How You Say It, and Rapper Gone Bad

and his earlier stuff like Stupid Doo Doo Dumb and Young Black Brotha are really alot like the Dangerous Crew and old Too Short stuff in the really dirty attitude and really funky production and just Bay-ass sound that they have. Since I got back into west coast rap last year, I've been baffled that more cats on this community aren't into Dreezy because his sound really complements most of the more popular artists that are preferred on this board really well.

He often was produced by Khayree in his early days; I think you guys just did a piece on Khayree on the main page now that I think about it.

Anyway, I'm only going on so zealously about it because I think you'd really enjoy alot of his work. he has alot of stuff outside of those main albums like compilations and duet albums and such but those main ones are a great start for anyone who wants to start downloading/buying and listening to Dreezy introductorily.

Let me know if you get a chance to hear any of the stuff and what you think and all. Raiders of the lost ark is a really good resource about Dreezy (and most other West Coast rap stuff too for that matter) if you wanted some stuff or info or credits or anything. He sends me shit/helps me out with that all the time.

+1

peace-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

AnybodyKilla

Re: Mac muthafuckin' Dre
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 05:13:52 PM »
Every damnnnnn day i smoke dankkkkkk. R.I.P!!!

SmokinDro520

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • PillZ..HoeZ N DRO is all a G KnowZ
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 05:37:42 PM »
Mac Dre's Da Shit.Sometimes people hate hyphy n thizzin so much that they dont get to hear his music thats not about hyphy.I havnt heard all his albums but ive heard enough to understand wat Tanj is talkin about.

PoP PoP THIZZ!!

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 06:08:15 PM »
Ive only heard Young Black Brotha from him and it was sick...what else is tite from him thats not too thizz shit?

acgrundy

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 09:56:26 PM »
wtf?  Justin didn't know about Mac Dre?

Don't tell people to start out with his newest stuff...his older stuff is WAYYYYYYYYY better!

Al Bundy

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 09:59:59 PM »
I like his newer shit than his older. Old stuff is good but it's OLD and played.

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 10:20:04 AM »
Justin knew about Mac Dre but he was saying he didn't really dig the whole hyphy/thizz thing which is understandable. I don't like that stuff much either for the most part, but I was trying to communicate that I wouldn't pigeonhole mac Dre completely in that category. he does all styles of west coast rap in my opinion.

i like the newer stuff better, but alot of the old stuff is great.

my favorite albums of this that i've heard are

It's Not What You Say...It's How You Say It, Al Boo Boo, Ronald Dregan:Dreganomics, and The Genie of the Lamp

all his stuff from like 'it's not what you say..' is on Thizz entertainment(his label) I believe but it's fucking dope.

his older stuff is dope but it's alot like too short/DC which is dope but I feel his later stuff is more unique to him. especially his rap style.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

acgrundy

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 10:41:17 AM »
wow I been a mac dre fan for over a decade, and his newer stuff sucks...not even close to as good as his first 3 albums

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 10:55:39 AM »
alot of the newer stuff was bad, but his straight solo records were solid as shit to me.

his rapping is 5 times as masterful in his older age in my opinion

-T

westcoastavengers.com

RAIDErs of the lost ark

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 03:29:10 PM »
Raiders of the lost ark is a really good resource about Dreezy (and most other West Coast rap stuff too for that matter) if you wanted some stuff or info or credits or anything. He sends me shit/helps me out with that all the time.

+1

peace-T

I know alot,as Al Bundy put it "heīs a knowledge base",but sorry i canīt claim that I have the full 411 on Mac Dre. (but thanx for the props)
I got friends (that I put on to Mac Dre in the early 90īs),they completly took over,theyīre crazy about Mac Dre/Thizz/Young Black Brotha,so whenever I hook up with them for a party itīs Mac Dre all night long.
I mean I had convos about this with Tanji on PMīs,we will bring it up again as soon Tanji has heard the whole discogs.(Khayree/Mac Dre/Mac Mall/Ray Luv/Dubee/Young Lay)
I look it like this; Khayree is much like Dr.Dre and when the artist "leave" their mentor,they kinda have to build a new sound and fan base. Look at Snoop,you can say what you want about "DoggFather" and "Da Game Is To Be Sold,Not To Be Told",but you canīt deny that coming from a classic as "DoggyStyle" you wasnīt dissapointed(?).
Well,we will bring this convo up again later,Tanji got much music to digest first.
It would be interesting to bring up the artists working with Dr.Dre and without Dr.Dre too,well,thatīs another future convo.....
....and Tanji I will bring up a Mac Dre interview (Murder Dog) in a minute,he had beef with E-40,more about that later.

Hereīs a couple of dope Mac dre joints;
Young Black Brotha presents volume 1

02 What You Like - Mac Dre.m4a produced by Khayree
http://www.mediafire.com/?bzym9jx2ylh
08 Wake Up In Da Morning - Ray Luv, Mac Dre & Coolio.m4a produced by Khayree
http://www.mediafire.com/?a39xjmdm94m
10 Mac Who_ Part 1 - Mac Dre & Mac Mall.m4a produced by Khayree  DOPE FREESTYLE
http://www.mediafire.com/?1z2ffxw1dox
Young Black Brotha presents volume 2

02 Mac Who_ Part 2 - Mac Dre & Mac Mall.m4a produced by Khayree  DOPE FREESTYLE
http://www.mediafire.com/?19iyudjtmjd
10 Recognize Game - Mac Dre.m4a produced by Khayree
http://www.mediafire.com/?1dxzz5em1gy

all these tracks is produced by Khayree in 2001 (according to credits) so this would be considered his "new" era.

Mac Dre It's Not What You Say It's How You Say CD  New era!

14 Bonus Track Featuring Miami, Suga Free.m4a
http://www.mediafire.com/?1go9jtxndsg

Somthing from Mac Dreīs "old" era
Mac Dre - California Livin' produced by Khayree

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 12:41:50 PM by tusken RAIDEr - CEO of The Dangerous Crew Movement »

Al Bundy

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 04:38:05 PM »
mac dre is the shit no doubt.

Bay Area Jat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fremont A's
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 04:54:21 PM »
I've forgot more about music and sports than you will ever know!!!

shay

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • "thro some money up thats are trademark boy COB
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 01:31:46 PM »
mac dre! real niggar 4 life.

Dopeisjay

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 01:51:54 PM »
anyone have that "Cold Cappa" song in CDQ by Mac Dre>???

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 03:47:01 PM »
raide you crazy for this
+1
-T

westcoastavengers.com