Author Topic: Halo 3 reviews for those interested...  (Read 1232 times)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Halo 3 reviews for those interested...
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 06:47:04 PM »
I haven't personally played Halo 3, but I played the first one a lot and never saw what was so special about it. As Halo 3 has basically been described as a slightly refined version of 1 and 2, I fail to see that my own opinion could be swayed that much. Not owning a 360, its unlikely I will ever try it out though.

Man there have been FPS out since like 2004 that kicked Halo's butt right down the alley.. Far Cry, Half Life 2, Fear, Doom 3, even Call of Duty or Medal of Honor, Battlefield.. and all those games are old as hell. I won't even get into more recent games like Prey, Stalker... or even the very recent ones like Bioshock, etc lol. Far Cry is from 2000-andfuckingfour. Yet it is still the best Single Mode FPS out.. (imo, graphics were insanity for the time it came out), and if you want to play multi-player, get Battlefield 1942.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

MIC

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 01:36:33 AM »
Man there have been FPS out since like 2004 that kicked Halo's butt right down the alley..

Well, Halo came out in 2001 so if it had to wait three years to get its butt kicked, I think it's a pretty good result.  :)

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 02:40:17 AM »
I haven't personally played Halo 3, but I played the first one a lot and never saw what was so special about it. As Halo 3 has basically been described as a slightly refined version of 1 and 2, I fail to see that my own opinion could be swayed that much. Not owning a 360, its unlikely I will ever try it out though.

Man there have been FPS out since like 2004 that kicked Halo's butt right down the alley.. Far Cry, Half Life 2, Fear, Doom 3, even Call of Duty or Medal of Honor, Battlefield.. and all those games are old as hell. I won't even get into more recent games like Prey, Stalker... or even the very recent ones like Bioshock, etc lol. Far Cry is from 2000-andfuckingfour. Yet it is still the best Single Mode FPS out.. (imo, graphics were insanity for the time it came out), and if you want to play multi-player, get Battlefield 1942.

those games you listed were sick but I wouldnt go that far. Farcry,medal of honor and fear are not on halo level, not even close

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 06:15:27 AM »
Man there have been FPS out since like 2004 that kicked Halo's butt right down the alley..

Well, Halo came out in 2001 so if it had to wait three years to get its butt kicked, I think it's a pretty good result.  :)

I don't know any PC FPS from 2001, because that's the time when I didn't have no proper PC, only the xbox. That said Halo 2 and Halo 1 weren't that different, so I expect Halo 3 not to be THAT different either. I'm sure there were good FPS out for PC in 2001 too, just haven't played any of them.

Some random stuff I really didn't like about Halo:

*very small arsenal of weapons
*voices of some aliens (the small ones) are ridiculous, annoying and whack
*graphics don't suck, but they aren't special at all for its genre (especially in Halo 2 cause it had basically the same graphics lmao)
*lack of gore or suspense
*no physique whatsoever
*no real "bosses" at the end of levels

I'm not saying it's a bad game or anything, but the hype it gets is kinda ridiculous. The only special thing I noticed in it were the 3rd person vehicles.
No, it's not a sin

MIC

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 03:02:24 PM »

Some random stuff I really didn't like about Halo:

*very small arsenal of weapons
*voices of some aliens (the small ones) are ridiculous, annoying and whack
*graphics don't suck, but they aren't special at all for its genre (especially in Halo 2 cause it had basically the same graphics lmao)
*lack of gore or suspense
*no physique whatsoever
*no real "bosses" at the end of levels

* There were at least 10 types of weapons that you could use, not counting mounted cannons and ground/air vehicles. Maybe there were more but that's all I can recall right now. Is that a very small arsenal?
* Graphics not "special for its genre"? Comparing to what titles released in 2001?
* You simply like the Halo universe or you don't. I'm not crazy about it, but grunts' voices were ok with me.
* There's blood when humans are killed. You can cut off aliens' limbs with the sword.
* No physics in Halo? Are we talking about the same game? What about Warthog's physics? Or bodies flying around when blown up with a grenade? I don't remember any games before Halo that would have comparable physics. And it wasn't even using Havok, which was introduced in Halo 2.
* Don't remember whether it had any bosses, but not all games do.

I'm not a fan of Halo so I'm not going to say it's the best FPS ever released, but it was one of the best, if not the best, first person shooter of its time. Of course you can compare it to later titles, but critisizing it cause there were better games released two or three years later is not fair - to put it mildly.  :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 03:04:51 PM by MIC »

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 03:22:20 PM »
You know what else is "not fair", nigga? To refer to Halo 1 when it comes to the time of release, but to refer to Halo 2 when it comes to the things the game offered. Also, it came out late in those respective years (2001 and 04). For Halo 2 there is actually no argument, there have been sigificantly better shooters around the time it came out. Am I supposed to be thrilled because bodies fly around after a grenade? Are you fucking kidding? Or because there's blood when humans are killed? Did you actually play one of the games I mentioned? Because that's the problem with most people who love Halo, they simply don't play PC. And for console-standards, Halo's a good FPS. Those are the same people that were thrilled about GTA: San Andreas graphics, LMAO. This game simply lacks atmosphere to me, too. There is no time whatsoever when you kind of "forget" that you just play a game. I give you the vehicles, as I said from the start. But that's where it stops.
No, it's not a sin

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 04:00:55 PM »
  For Halo 2 there is actually no argument, there have been sigificantly better shooters around the time it came out.

What games that came out around the same time are significantly better then halo 2? You do know that halo 2 got near perfects on all reviews with an average ratio of 95% on gamerankings.com, so for a shooter to be better then that it would have to be near perfect, but by all means feel free to list some games that are significantly better that came out around the same time

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/562116.asp?q=Halo

by the way here is a list of awards that halo 2 won

* Best Console Game of E3 2004, Game Revolution, May 2004
    * Best Console Game Game, E3 2004 Game Critics Awards, May 2004
    * Best Action Game, E3 2004 Game Critics Awards, May 2004
    * Best Online Multiplayer Game, E3 2004 Game Critics Awards, May 2004
    * Best Visuals of E3 2004, 1UP, May 2004
    * Best Xbox Game of E3 2004, 1UP, May 2004
    * Best Shooter of E3 2004, 1UP, May 2004
    * Best Game of E3 2004 Nominee, 1UP, May 2004
    * Best Console Title of E3 2004, Action Trip, May 2004
    * E3 2004 Best of Show, Game Informer Magazine, May 2004
    * Best Shooter of E3 2004 Runner-up, Game Spot, May 2004
    * Best Xbox Game of E3 2004 Finalist, Game Spot, May 2004
    * Best Xbox Game of E3 2004 Runner-up, Gamers.com, May 2004
    * E3 2004 Editor’s Choice, GameSpy, May 2004
    * Best Games of E3 2004, GameSpy, May 2004
    * Best of E3 2004, GameZone, May 2004
    * Best Xbox Live Game of E3 2004, IGN, May 2004
    * Best Xbox Shooter of E3 2004, IGN, May 2004
    * E3 2004 Xbox Game of Show Winner, IGN, May 2004
    * E3 2004 Technological Excellence Runner-up, IGN, May 2004
    * E3 2004 Best of Show Winner, IGN, May 2004
    * E3 2004 Best of Show Winner, TeamXbox, May 2004
    * E3 2004 Best Xbox Live Title, TeamXbox, May 2004
    * E3 2004 Best First-Person Shooter, TeamXbox, May 2004
    * Best Game of E3 2004, Xbox 365, May 2004
    * Best Games of E3 2004 Winner, Xbox Evolved, May 2004
    * Best Xbox Game of E3, Gamespot.com, May 2003
    * The Best Games of 2003, Official Xbox Magazine, February 2003
    * Hottest Games of 2004, Official Xbox Magazine, January 2003
    * Best-Kept Secret, Official Xbox Magazine, February 2004
    * Best Game of E3 2003, TeamXbox, June 2003
    * Best Graphics of E3 2003, TeamXbox, June 2003
    * Best Trailer of E3 2003, TeamXbox, June 2003
    * Post-E3, Pre-Awards Best Games, IGN Xbox, May 2003

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 10:59:16 PM »
This game simply lacks atmosphere to me, too. There is no time whatsoever when you kind of "forget" that you just play a game.

Thats just you. Each Halo has sucked me into the story and everything. Hell i'm playing through halo 3 fo a 3rd time because i can't get enough of the atmosphere.

I need some meaning I can memorize
The kind I have always seems to slip my mind

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 06:24:50 PM »
Can someone pleasee tell me what is so special about Halo 3 lol? What makes it different and better then all the other shooting games on the 360?

swangin and bangin

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 10:36:33 PM »
Can someone pleasee tell me what is so special about Halo 3 lol? What makes it different and better then all the other shooting games on the 360?
thats the only shooting game i have ever played
so i like it lol
halo2 not 3 yet

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2007, 03:07:22 AM »

There's no first-person shooter on 360 that can equal Halo 3's blend of cinematic action, adrenaline-pumping shootouts, and male- (and female)-bonding gameplay. Look beyond the gameplay and you have a rich feature set unlike anything ever delivered in a videogame. The Forge and the replay functionality raise the bar for console shooters so high, it may never be surpassed this generation. It's hard to argue against Halo 3 as the most complete game available on any console.
-IGN.com

The presentation, sound, gameplay and graphics are all top notch

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2007, 12:34:24 AM »

There's no first-person shooter on 360 that can equal Halo 3's blend of cinematic action, adrenaline-pumping shootouts, and male- (and female)-bonding gameplay. Look beyond the gameplay and you have a rich feature set unlike anything ever delivered in a videogame. The Forge and the replay functionality raise the bar for console shooters so high, it may never be surpassed this generation. It's hard to argue against Halo 3 as the most complete game available on any console.
-IGN.com

The presentation, sound, gameplay and graphics are all top notch

Ill check it out!!!