Author Topic: was rap in the 90's better than present day rap  (Read 1280 times)

Elevz

Re: was rap in the 90's better than present day rap
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 01:24:53 AM »
what's your definition of "better"?

"bet·ter1 (bĕt'ər) pronunciation
adj. Comparative of good.

1. Greater in excellence or higher in quality.
   2. More useful, suitable, or desirable: found a better way to go; a suit with a better fit than that one.
   3. More highly skilled or adept: I am better at math than English.
   4. Greater or larger: argued for the better part of an hour.
   5. More advantageous or favorable; improved: a better chance of success.
   6. Healthier or more fit than before: The patient is better today."

Source: www.answers.com

Question is: better, according to whom? By what standards?

I asked about his definition of better. The points you mentioned are still very subjective. What's "higher quality"? How do you define the concept "quality"? If you got that clear, you can "measure" if hiphop in the 90s was better than hiphop nowadays.

Now it's all just a matter of opinions, whereby most people think hiphop in the 90s was better than hiphop now.

Tsk, tsk, tsk... Let me re-quote myself.

Everyone knows what the word better means, thus "a definition of the word better" solves nothing. I just gave you an official definition of it, and as you already pointed out, it doesn't give any answers. Why not? It's full of unoperationalized words. People don't necessarily agree on what makes a difference in quality between two given things. The outcome is always rather subjective. That's not in the word 'better', but in the use of it.

I think we both agree on this; you simply failed to notice it ;)

I think you're just saying the same things as me, cause you love me so bad. Wannabe

You need to learn to articulate and comprehend.

-1 for being such a pathetic, stuck up kiddo.

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2007, 03:11:11 AM »
Tha answe is so clear, YES it was better! Just remember 94-96... You could go to the record store every week and grab a classic. Today you don't even have a classic in a whole year.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

Piffmeister2008

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 03:58:13 AM »

2. More useful, suitable, or desirable: found a better way to go; a suit with a better fit than that one.

I asked about his definition of better. The points you mentioned are still very subjective. What's "higher quality"? How do you define the concept "quality"? If you got that clear, you can "measure" if hiphop in the 90s was better than hiphop nowadays.

Now it's all just a matter of opinions, whereby most people think hiphop in the 90s was better than hiphop now.

Everyone knows what the word better means, thus "a definition of the word better" solves nothing. I just gave you an official definition of it, and as you already pointed out, it doesn't give any answers. Why not? It's full of unoperationalized words. People don't necessarily agree on what makes a difference in quality between two given things. The outcome is always rather subjective. That's not in the word 'better', but in the use of it.

I think you're just saying the same things as me, cause you love me so bad. Wannabe

you still got a lot to learn doggie.. You think you know everything now you're in your 2nd year of college?  :grumpy:

Borat Sagdiyev

• 'G'
  • My Name a Borat
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 04:56:46 AM »
An opinion of musicial taste is a very true.  Early 90s music was a very much better than crap I hear on cassette player today.  But some people say I have a no idea what a good music, since I also like to disco dance.  Bring back the pimping musics!
I am continuing my Cultural Learnings of U, S and A for their musicial likings.  WEST WEST BITCHES!

****2007 Alias of the Year****
http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=165821.0

Elevz

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 05:42:56 AM »

you still got a lot to learn doggie.. You think you know everything now you're in your 2nd year of college?  :grumpy:

In fact it is my fourth year. You're just being too hard headed and ignorant to actually comprehend what people are saying. Now let's recap, because your contradictions are entertaining:

- You said the thread starter should come with a definition of 'better'.
- I gave you the one and only valid definition of better: it's an adjective, and it is a comparative of good.
- I corrected your question. The question was not about the word better, but about the standards it is applied to.
- You ignored my statement.
- You said I was throwing around subjective terms, while that's exactly what I avoided in my words.
- I recognised the commonalities in our stances.
- You said I was copying your opinion, and you made some pathetic statements towards my position.

Now, after all of that, if you still fail to recognise the pathetic loser in yourself, you might want to see a psychologist. For your own sake it would be helpful. That's not to say freshmen can't be right, but for you to try and correct me on my articulateness and accuracy... That's like Gonny van Oudenallen calling out Hans Hoogervorst for being a bad politician. Know what you're talking about, before you open your mouth. Read what people are saying and respond to it. Don't just brag, because it'll only make you look more stupid.

To be honest, I can't wait for your next statement. Bring it on.

Piffmeister2008

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 06:09:25 AM »
if you still fail to recognise the pathetic loser in yourself, you might want to see a psychologist.

lol, you obviously don't have the slightest clue of what a psychologist does. And you call yourself smart?

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2007, 06:52:52 AM »
Rap was w/o any doubt far better in the 90's
It was about rhymes skills, it was Snoopy, it was Rakim, it was east & west
The dj dj'd & scratched his vinyles 'till he d.i.e, the rapper blown your mind away.
The productions weren't as "formated" as they are now. it wasn't pseudo music
Just listen to what has been made in the 90's and you'll come to the same conclusion than most of us.

Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

Ozir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside!
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2007, 11:07:12 AM »
Yes.

SGV

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2007, 12:00:57 PM »
Again, it falls back on to what you came up listening to. Of course you're going to feel that 90s shit was the hottest music. But people who grew up on Melle Mel, Slick Rick, EPMD, LL etc. would disagree with you. They think that 80s shit was the hottest. And if you ask a kid who was born in 1992, who didn't start bumping Hip Hop until 2002, he'll tell you the shit he hears now is that classic shit. He'll tell you Lil Wayne and T.I. are the hottest emcees. Etc. etc. Is he wrong? No. Maybe to ignorant people he is, but in no way can we say he's wrong. It's what he knows. It's what he grew up on. It's hot to him, just like some of you think Kurupt is a super ill emcee. You grew up listening to him and you don't care what others say.

So to people who are fans of 90s music, people who grew up listening to 90s music, which is the majority of DUBCC, they will agree. But go to some of these little youngsters who didn't grow up on Snoop Dogg being the illest West Coast emcee, that thrown, to them belongs to Game. Go to some of these youngsters who have no clue who Scarface and the Geto Boys is, but they know about Lil Wayne and T.I. It goes on...

Blood$

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2007, 01:39:09 PM »
An opinion of musicial taste is a very true.  Early 90s music was a very much better than crap I hear on cassette player today.  But some people say I have a no idea what a good music, since I also like to disco dance.  Bring back the pimping musics!

real talk

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2007, 03:20:08 PM »
Again, it falls back on to what you came up listening to. Of course you're going to feel that 90s shit was the hottest music. But people who grew up on Melle Mel, Slick Rick, EPMD, LL etc. would disagree with you. They think that 80s shit was the hottest. And if you ask a kid who was born in 1992, who didn't start bumping Hip Hop until 2002, he'll tell you the shit he hears now is that classic shit. He'll tell you Lil Wayne and T.I. are the hottest emcees. Etc. etc. Is he wrong? No. Maybe to ignorant people he is, but in no way can we say he's wrong. It's what he knows. It's what he grew up on. It's hot to him, just like some of you think Kurupt is a super ill emcee. You grew up listening to him and you don't care what others say.

So to people who are fans of 90s music, people who grew up listening to 90s music, which is the majority of DUBCC, they will agree. But go to some of these little youngsters who didn't grow up on Snoop Dogg being the illest West Coast emcee, that thrown, to them belongs to Game. Go to some of these youngsters who have no clue who Scarface and the Geto Boys is, but they know about Lil Wayne and T.I. It goes on...

Yeah but in the 80's they made points. In the 90's they took them points and dug deep into 'em (lyrically). Now they just freelancing. Now points don't need to be made, cuz we gettin' the money and women now. Aight, shit's all cool, but ain't nobody respectin' them artists back than neither. And they went against alot of the culture that Hip Hop was made on.

And I ain't tryin' to knock what you say becuz you right but in the bold, all that ain't the truth. The music may bring be back memories and be 'good' or whatever the words you wanna use, but that doesn't mean the lyrical content was better.

When The Hot Boys was on fire, I loved that shit, so of course that Cash Money Era is fire to me, I grew up on it, but no way in hell are they 'better', lyrically than the music coming thru in the 90's. You feel me?

And yes I'm using the words lyrically, becuz common sense, that's what the thread starter is askin'. ;D

funkkid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 03:30:58 PM »
ain't no question about it hell yes rap was better in the 90's

SGV

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2007, 04:17:35 PM »

Yeah but in the 80's they made points. In the 90's they took them points and dug deep into 'em (lyrically). Now they just freelancing. Now points don't need to be made, cuz we gettin' the money and women now. Aight, shit's all cool, but ain't nobody respectin' them artists back than neither. And they went against alot of the culture that Hip Hop was made on.

And I ain't tryin' to knock what you say becuz you right but in the bold, all that ain't the truth. The music may bring be back memories and be 'good' or whatever the words you wanna use, but that doesn't mean the lyrical content was better.

When The Hot Boys was on fire, I loved that shit, so of course that Cash Money Era is fire to me, I grew up on it, but no way in hell are they 'better', lyrically than the music coming thru in the 90's. You feel me?

And yes I'm using the words lyrically, becuz common sense, that's what the thread starter is askin'. ;D

You fall in the category of "People who are fans of 90s music" though. That's what I'm saying. Of course a fan of something is going to side with it. Truth be told, there's a lot of good lyricists out there right now. Pitbull, Lil Wayne, T.I., Chamillionaire, Little Brother, Papoose, Joell Ortiz, Saigon, Ya Boy, Omar Cruz etc. etc. The only reason people are so disgruntled with todays music is because it's mainly party music. If you grew up on or are a fan of 90s music, you're into Street anthems. You're into gutter beats. Dark. Gritty music. You're not into this happy-go-lucky-lets-do-a-dance music. Thats not what you listened to growing up and that's not what appeals to you... We get it.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2007, 05:29:22 PM »
It's not even a question.  The vast majority of mainstream Hip Hop nowadays is disposable fad pop.  In my opinion its most directly tied to the media and record label conglomerates that absorbed and destroyed all of the great labels.  They turned the art of Hip Hop into an assembly line product.

Piffmeister2008

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2007, 05:26:32 AM »

so is it better to make a point in your music? Maybe that's what you consider to be better, but it can't be generalized over the entire society. That's why it's almost impossible to say what music is better.