Author Topic: HD Dvd vs. Blu-Ray  (Read 371 times)

WC Iz Active

HD Dvd vs. Blu-Ray
« on: December 12, 2007, 04:27:03 PM »
Now that I finally have both set up, I have to say that I think they are both equally amazing.  I am very impressed with both, and I honestly dont see a difference in the two.  both are amazing.  Im surprised why some people think Blu-Ray is better in picture than HdDvd, both seem equal to me.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: HD Dvd vs. Blu-Ray
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 06:06:31 PM »
How is it set up? Type of tv and size?

WC Iz Active

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 06:14:10 PM »
42 inch toshiba hdtv.  Its a new model, I lucked out with the price.

my hd dvd player is toshiba and is hooked up to the hdtv through hdmi,  the blu-ray comes from the ps3 and is also connected to the tv through hdmi. 

Matty

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 09:47:47 PM »
im happy with my set-up after a LOT of research. panasonic 32 inch hdtv which is labelled as HD Ready - native res 1366 x 768 (it can play a 1080p source though, just downscales slightly). however this screen is best lcd ive seen hands down for sd material so normal dvds look awesome and even my wii looks decent. xbox 360 looks incredible and as far as HD video files - i download them. HD DVD and Blu-ray rips look awesome - PC is hooked up to the HDTV via VGA (sure digital video is nice but the difference is marginal and HDTV's generally only do HD resolutions through HDMI, as opposed to PC resolutions as well over VGA)...sound is covered too, everything is wired up either digitally or analogue into a nice pc sound set-up (analogue is needed for pc games and wii games cause they dont do digital 5.1)...

I'm happy to download HD Rips while the formats fight it out and have the best of both worlds ;] with over a terabyte of hard drive space and bandwidth to spare why the hell not? 8)

I'll invest in an actual player and some hard copies of HD movies when it all comes down in price and there's some good multi-format players and/or burners to buy...

Sparegeez

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 10:04:44 PM »
They are the same, except blue ray can hole up to like 80 gigs or somethiing like that, which in most cases will never even be fully used.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
They are the same, except blue ray can hole up to like 80 gigs or somethiing like that, which in most cases will never even be fully used.

wow 80 gigs? yeah why would you need all that space on a movie. you could probably have the godfather trilogy on there in SUPER HD with 500.1 sound with room to spare for all of my movies on my ipod.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Matty

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 12:55:39 AM »
How much data can you fit on a Blu-ray disc?

A single-layer disc can hold 25GB.
A dual-layer disc can hold 50GB.

To ensure that the Blu-ray Disc format is easily extendable (future-proof) it also includes support for multi-layer discs, which should allow the storage capacity to be increased to 100GB-200GB (25GB per layer) in the future simply by adding more layers to the discs.

How much video can you fit on a Blu-ray disc?

Over 9 hours of high-definition (HD) video on a 50GB disc.
About 23 hours of standard-definition (SD) video on a 50GB disc.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 12:39:02 PM »
^ so, "goodbye box sets", in other words.

Matty

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 01:55:26 PM »
i was reading about the next hd format being researched and put together for the future, 'ultra high definition' something like 16 times the resolution of 1080p and so realistic that people have felt motion sickness when watching moving images due to the reality of it. oh and 22.2 point surround sound to go with it, crazy!

apparently the next-gen media could be some protein layered disc or something but still being read by optics....should be interesting...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 01:55:47 PM »
Shoulda' made this a poll...

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 02:20:21 PM »
i was reading about the next hd format being researched and put together for the future, 'ultra high definition' something like 16 times the resolution of 1080p and so realistic that people have felt motion sickness when watching moving images due to the reality of it. oh and 22.2 point surround sound to go with it, crazy!

apparently the next-gen media could be some protein layered disc or something but still being read by optics....should be interesting...

so should i even fuckin buy a new 1080p  tv then ?

WC Iz Active

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 02:56:34 PM »
^^god yes!   1080p is the future, it wont even be fullly utilized for another several years,  1080p is the future.  I dont know what that dude was talking about that ultra shit but if thats true you are looking at 20 something years down the road.  get a 1080p  its the future
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 02:58:54 PM by SpIcE = SwAg »

E-L-P

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 21 & Over
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 05:15:35 PM »
Word? I have an 32" LCD HD Panasonic. I wanted to wait out the format "war" between HD & Blu-ray before I bought one. So, I bouth an upconverting 1080p Phillips DVD player. It looks pretty good. Probably not anywhere near Blu-ray or HD though.
My Future Wife:

Matty

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 11:08:54 PM »
yeah sorry your looking at 10-20 years down the line for that ultra shit so its all good for now, its interesting though....

i'd say be weary of buying a full 1080p set even now. there's not a huge different between 720p and 1080p on a quality set, both resolutions look truly HD. the problem i find with the 1080p sets is because the higher native resolution they have more problems upscaling normal content - its unlikely anything standard definition is gonna look anywhere near as good as on a set which has a slightly lower native resolution and some decent video processors. after studying everything on the market, if you want a consumer grade lcd tv, Panasonic are definitely the way to go. One of their 'HD ready' sets with a native res 1368x768 will give hands down the best performance considering both SD and HD material. Downside if any is that you cant get native 1080p for 1080p sources. However it can play in 1080p with a bit of downscaling and the picture is so good on 720p that I'd say its easily worth it just so all your SD stuff is watchable on a big screen.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/lcd-tv/tx-32lmd70/index.htm

and to the dude above me, get some real HD action by plugging in a VGA cable and downloading some HD rips from the web 8) don't have to worry about the format war for now...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 11:15:37 PM by Matty »

E-L-P

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 21 & Over
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 08:44:47 AM »
MyTV is very similar to that one. Where would I stream HD shit from?
My Future Wife: