Author Topic: why is eminem not big?  (Read 550 times)

snopafly

• Muthafuckin' OG
why is eminem not big?
« on: December 29, 2007, 04:43:25 AM »
 :)

Okay have been reading different topics about haw vack and em cant do huge numbers and so on... I agree i am realy not a huge eminem fan, but i still think marchall mathers lp and "the slim shady lp" is classic albums.. The last em lp "encore" was some crap and he chanced his voice to some anoing shit...

Hawever when his next album album drops he will still do better numbers than 50 cent, why couse he can reach out to a bigger audiance(white people) . anyway i think hiphop needs a eminem lp..

Eminem Presents the Re-Up: very bad lp but still look at the numbers it have sold more than 50 cents- curtis lp.

maby alot of people dont agree with me, but this is my thought..

Elevz

Re: why is eminem not big?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 08:03:18 AM »
Just about everyone agrees about the status of Eminem's first big full length releases. I don't think you'll find a lot of people who expect Eminem to sell less than 50 Cent. Is 50 the current standard for successful rap music though?

However, when it comes to hip-hop needing another Eminem LP; I strongly disagree with that. Hip-Hop culture is morally just about as dead as can be. That goes a lot deeper than just the quality of the music declining; it's a matter of the whole culture crumbling. Just some good music isn't going to change a lot about that, and the problems are more deeply rooted than hip-hop culture alone.
There are currently no pillars for popular culture to lean on. There are no defined role models, and even though kids look up to a lot of stars in a major way, these stars do little or nothing outside of the music. They're just being cool, but they provide the youth with no guidelines. Nothing to be inspired by, but a bunch of negroes doing drugs, preaching a thugged out lifestyle, glorifying materialism and immorality.

Remember all of that has been going on for a while now. With every new step in the marketing schemes of music becoming more brainless, the new stars had less outspoken peers to idolize. KRS-One and Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five are forgotten by today's stars; they just look up to Biggie and Pac. A new generation will remodel themselves after 50 Cent (if they're not already). Through all of this, the kids who grew up during these phases of hip-hop had less and less to look up to. The result isn't only in hiphop music sounding uninspired, but in hiphop culture on a whole being in a coma. Do you really think that if Eminem dropped another classic, that would change anything? Remember that, regardless of his emceeing qualities, Eminem has been a shocker since the beginning.

Hip-Hop culture needs nothing but some new teachers standing up. Guidance and inspiration, that's what it takes. Problem is, anyone with the potential to do just that, probably has turned his back on the culture already. Hip-Hop is a sinking ship, thoroughly rotten. Until a new phase in hip-hop arrives, it's best to acknowledge the value of artists like Nas. Such controversy has a purpose.

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 11:11:05 AM »
^^ agree with everything except the Nas part......

in addition, em's last release (encore) turned a lot of people off.

most hip hop MCs have a very short shelf life, and they're only really popular if they're in the spotlight. em isn't in the spotlight right now so no one is really paying any attention. that's just how it goes until he makes some news.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 12:31:08 PM »
I don't care about Eminem anylonger

kemizt

AndrE16686

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 05:45:56 AM »
Just about everyone agrees about the status of Eminem's first big full length releases. I don't think you'll find a lot of people who expect Eminem to sell less than 50 Cent. Is 50 the current standard for successful rap music though?

However, when it comes to hip-hop needing another Eminem LP; I strongly disagree with that. Hip-Hop culture is morally just about as dead as can be. That goes a lot deeper than just the quality of the music declining; it's a matter of the whole culture crumbling. Just some good music isn't going to change a lot about that, and the problems are more deeply rooted than hip-hop culture alone.
There are currently no pillars for popular culture to lean on. There are no defined role models, and even though kids look up to a lot of stars in a major way, these stars do little or nothing outside of the music. They're just being cool, but they provide the youth with no guidelines. Nothing to be inspired by, but a bunch of negroes doing drugs, preaching a thugged out lifestyle, glorifying materialism and immorality.

Remember all of that has been going on for a while now. With every new step in the marketing schemes of music becoming more brainless, the new stars had less outspoken peers to idolize. KRS-One and Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five are forgotten by today's stars; they just look up to Biggie and Pac. A new generation will remodel themselves after 50 Cent (if they're not already). Through all of this, the kids who grew up during these phases of hip-hop had less and less to look up to. The result isn't only in hiphop music sounding uninspired, but in hiphop culture on a whole being in a coma. Do you really think that if Eminem dropped another classic, that would change anything? Remember that, regardless of his emceeing qualities, Eminem has been a shocker since the beginning.

Hip-Hop culture needs nothing but some new teachers standing up. Guidance and inspiration, that's what it takes. Problem is, anyone with the potential to do just that, probably has turned his back on the culture already. Hip-Hop is a sinking ship, thoroughly rotten. Until a new phase in hip-hop arrives, it's best to acknowledge the value of artists like Nas. Such controversy has a purpose.

Word, 1123. You always come with the insight. My love for hip-hop has never been stronger, there is real hiphop that keeps coming out (I aint even talking about NaS, Hip-Hop Is Dead disappointed me, kinda sub par). Im more talking about:
Cilvaringz, Killah Priest, Immortal Technique, Ghost, Rza, DJ Muggs Productions, R.A, GZA, Sick Jacken, etc, etc,etc to mention just a fraction. The real artists have really been stepping up...The difference is that the real "heads" ( people with a refined taste in hip-hop) know where to check for that realness, however for the uninitiated people who are only down for 50 Cent and the full frontal labotomy music they have no idea. I like this stage in hip-hop, I see it retreating back to the catacombs where it may ovulate and get in touch with what was the essence and contemplate on the "realness" Its bigger than hip-hop, its realness. Let the masses have their crappy music, real hip-hop will just go secret society styles, skull and bones style.

Im 21, my older brothers who are in their 30s now grew up on Wu, KRS, Geto Boys, NWA, Cypress, 2Pac, Biggie etc you can say they lived through the golden years, however, to them it was just ignorant fun with nothing deep about the music, hip-hop isnt necessary the portal, people find their own way, regardless of hip-hop, the difference is that when I listen to music, for me its a spiritual thing, other times its just music, great sound, for some people hip-hop is never a deep or intellectual thing, its just music, regardless if the hip-hop is preaching Wisdom. Its all about how you regard it, for those that do, they are the initiated, for those that aren't (we hope) they seek somewhere other than hip-hop if they never find it in here.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 07:57:07 AM »
eminem is a legend PERIOD

thisoneguy360

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 09:49:02 AM »
Eminem was the shit for a while until that Encore bullshit came out, there were a few good songs on it though

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 10:46:12 AM »
Eminem was the shit for a while until that Encore bullshit came out, there were a few good songs on it though

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 11:24:51 PM »
I dunno, dogg, you gotta ask Kim about that.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Crockett

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Smile Boys Were About To Retire
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 07:59:59 PM »
hes style just got childish.....

Narrator

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 08:45:31 PM »
he will still do better numbers than 50 cent, why couse he can reach out to a bigger audiance(white people) .

Are you saying that crackers don't buy 50's shit?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 08:48:46 PM »
he will still do better numbers than 50 cent, why couse he can reach out to a bigger audiance(white people) .

id say white dudes buy more of 50's shit, cuz most white people prolly be hatin on eminem cuz he's what they wanna be.

Crockett

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Smile Boys Were About To Retire
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 09:31:35 PM »

id say white dudes buy more of 50's shit, cuz most white people prolly be hatin on eminem cuz he's what they wanna be.

50 is white
lol

d-nice

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »
Eminem is a perfect example of a artist that got a taste of the pop/mainstream money and fame and switched up his style. Yeah dissing N-Sync and Moby was funny but he made too many "Without Me" songs for my liking. Encore was so watered down and half assed by Em it makes you wonder if he REALLY has the hunger to want to drop another classic lp.

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 04:14:44 AM »

Word, 1123. You always come with the insight. My love for hip-hop has never been stronger, there is real hiphop that keeps coming out (I aint even talking about NaS, Hip-Hop Is Dead disappointed me, kinda sub par). Im more talking about:
Cilvaringz, Killah Priest, Immortal Technique, Ghost, Rza, DJ Muggs Productions, R.A, GZA, Sick Jacken, etc, etc,etc to mention just a fraction. The real artists have really been stepping up...The difference is that the real "heads" ( people with a refined taste in hip-hop) know where to check for that realness, however for the uninitiated people who are only down for 50 Cent and the full frontal labotomy music they have no idea. I like this stage in hip-hop, I see it retreating back to the catacombs where it may ovulate and get in touch with what was the essence and contemplate on the "realness" Its bigger than hip-hop, its realness. Let the masses have their crappy music, real hip-hop will just go secret society styles, skull and bones style.

Im 21, my older brothers who are in their 30s now grew up on Wu, KRS, Geto Boys, NWA, Cypress, 2Pac, Biggie etc you can say they lived through the golden years, however, to them it was just ignorant fun with nothing deep about the music, hip-hop isnt necessary the portal, people find their own way, regardless of hip-hop, the difference is that when I listen to music, for me its a spiritual thing, other times its just music, great sound, for some people hip-hop is never a deep or intellectual thing, its just music, regardless if the hip-hop is preaching Wisdom. Its all about how you regard it, for those that do, they are the initiated, for those that aren't (we hope) they seek somewhere other than hip-hop if they never find it in here.

True, true.

As for Eminem - he was up there with the greats. But then he fucked it up himself by releasing Encore and other half-assed stuff. You could hear it so clearly he wasn't inspired to do those records, with only the occasional song here and there with the "old" Eminem lifting his head. Once dude got through tellling his life story there was nothing left.

I don't think Hip-Hop needs a new Eminem album (or any single artist's album for that matter - it's an overall change that needs to happen), but if he were to drop something decent, it would sure as hell be welcome. I'm just not sure he has it in him - his most recent stuff has been that much of a disappointment. I'll be happy if he proves me wrong though.