Author Topic: Joell Ortiz Confirms Release From Dr. Dre's Aftermath  (Read 598 times)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Joell Ortiz Confirms Release From Dr. Dre's Aftermath
« on: January 31, 2008, 09:04:01 AM »

It's official. Joell Ortiz has been official released from Aftermath Entertainment, and has been for some time now.

The rapper recently sat down with Hot 97 gossip queen, Miss Info, to clear the air and confirmed the rumors of him being a free agent, following a recent interview with labelmate Bishop Lamont who revealed the news during a recent interview with HoodHype.com.

"This is old to me. Me talking about it now feels funny, because this is old. It's just new to everybody else because somebody spoke on something that they didn't know about," Ortiz told Miss Info.

The New York rapper said he hadn't spoken out about being released because he had a thought out plan of how he wanted to present it -- that plan was to reveal it in the music video for his street banger "Ups & Downs" in which a release form from Aftermath is shown at the end.

Before he could do so, the news leaked and now he's come out to speak about. But despite his plans being spoiled, he's moving on, which is the reason why he asked for a release from his contract in the first place.

"I'm not currently on that label," the rapper said. "I can't afford to wait. That would be the most selfish thing for me to do -- to sit there and wait for someone else to call my life. I got a million people depending on me to come out. People wanna hear Joell Ortiz.

"I would of been cheating myself to sit there and wait. I have momentum now. I gotta move with the cheese. I don't know when my window of opportunity is gonna open again. I gotta take advantage of it now," Ortiz continued.

According to Joell, with the recording of Dre's Detox and Eminem working on a new solo release, there wasn't immediate plans to drop his solo debut. But, he didn't leave with nothing.

In fact, Joell says his relationship with the super producer remains intact. He revealed he's still working with Dre, will have Dr. Dre beats on his next album, and is currently in the mist of a bidding war.

Things seem to be good for the Puerto Rican MC.

"As of right now, I'm still doing business with Dr. Dre and stuff like that," revealed Ortiz. "... I got money in my bank account. I'm working with Dr. Dre. I'm a free agent with a mixtape that's about to come out... that's ridiculous.

"You wouldn't believe who's calling me. I got a bidding war going on without trying to create one. I'm feeling good," he exclaimed.

http://www.ballerstatus.com/article/news/2008/01/3988/

Cheese

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Joell Ortiz Confirms Release From Dr. Dre's Aftermath
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:23:42 AM »
People wanna hear Joell Ortiz.

ehm, I doubt that

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:34:08 AM »
good stuff. can't wait for the tape/next album 8)

good to see someone stand up for themselves and say fuck waiting over there.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:38:08 AM »
oh well, i guess it's the best thing Joell could do, since he wouldn't be able to release an album on aftermath/interscope (before 2010) anyway.

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 10:23:31 AM »
glad he bounced but has still kept a working relationship with Dr. Dre. i am looking forward to the next mixtape and album.

Robert did you hear The Brick?

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 11:46:43 AM »
In fact, Joell says his relationship with the super producer remains intact. He revealed he's still working with Dre, will have Dr. Dre beats on his next album, and is currently in the mist of a bidding war.

That should be midst. These hip hop sites need to step their journalism game up.

Aftermath is just a joke of a label, now, too. It's like they're too scared to release anything that isn't guaranteed to go triple plat.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:50:16 AM by R1ZE »

TRG

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 02:07:17 PM »
ahhwell, lookin forward to the mixtape

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 02:16:01 PM »
Why did Aftermath sign him?  Dude's got talent.  Aftermath is where you go to get your hopes up and then never drop an album.
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 04:09:56 PM »
^^usually again in your whole career....aftermath is a gift if you like the 1% of cats who succeeded there but if you dont usually you dissapear....its good to know ortiz got an album out on koch though so his name is already out there abit so like he still has a chance of making albums and trying to create a buzz for himself....aftermath really.....well theres really nothing to say about aftermath that isnt negative right now so no point being negative and just leave it at that

prince

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 04:17:32 PM »
the brick album was great.

i think it is good how he has a working releationship with dr.dre.

being signed to aftermath in this case has helped his career.

looking forward to the mixtape and the big album!!

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 06:07:04 PM »
ahhwell, lookin forward to the mixtape

D~Nice

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 06:09:36 PM »
Aftermath and Jimmy is fucking up.   >:(

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 06:20:51 PM »

Jimmy knos about the dubcc hate club lol, he cant think straight lol.

D~Nice

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 06:25:45 PM »

Jimmy knos about the dubcc hate club lol, he cant think straight lol.

I might need to join this movement. Interscope is becoming a fucking joke.

Matty

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 06:30:55 PM »
hopefully he blows up big now! maybe not that likely but would be hella funny to see interscope look that stupid unless he just comes out on one of their outfits anyway....pity aftermath cant just put out more releases though, even on more limited budgets, its not like they aint got easy access to producers (see latest bishop mixtape). expansion in sales is obviously a non factor at that label...