Author Topic: Why Does Def Jam Hate the West Coast?  (Read 496 times)

Woodrow

Why Does Def Jam Hate the West Coast?
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:43:52 AM »

So what’s up with Def Jam? It seems like after Warren G, they haven’t shown the West any love. Yes I give them props for putting out WC’s Ghetto Heisman, but the whole “Track nine skips and is unlistenable” feature just didn’t sell me on that CD. It’s not the West Coast’s fault that CD didn’t sell like it should have; the blame lays squarely on Def Jam. WC has no responsibility for the mistake Def Jam made pressing the CD.
Strike One

Doing some research on this post, I found a tape with an Julio G show from August 2006. Julio had Russell Simmons on, and was talking about a new Def Jam artist named Dro (No ,not Young Dro). Russell premiered a Dro track called Ghetto Prayer and it was one of the tightest songs I’ve heard in a long time. No joke, this was quality. Ghetto prayer was introspective, lyrical, and all over an extremely expressive beat. I’ve included the audio below.

<a href="http://media.imeem.com/m/7q_BtKPv__/aus=false/" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://media.imeem.com/m/7q_BtKPv__/aus=false/</a>

I was extremely excited that Def Jam had decided to start supporting West Coast artists again, but aside from a feature on a movie soundtrack and a few MySpace videos, it seems like Def Jam didn’t help dude at all. I don’t know whose decision it was to throw Dro over a hyphy ass Rick Rock beat, and make a medium budget video to the song, but I wasn’t feeling it. Still, Dro had HUGE potential as you can tell from the track I posted.
Strike Two

To see read the rest of the article, hit up www.Lyay.net

RHustle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Why Does Def Jam Hate the West Coast?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 10:52:34 AM »
they seem to be supporting Hot Dollar but then again he is under Island Def Jam which is a subset of DJam

Woodrow

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 11:00:56 AM »
they seem to be supporting Hot Dollar but then again he is under Island Def Jam which is a subset of DJam
I have to admit, I forgot about Hot Dollar.

Still, look at the West Coast representation vs. other regions. It's not like we don't have the talent out here.

Fresco

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 11:02:41 AM »
Montell Jordan was signed on Def Jam until 2003, so I don't know where the hate for the west is... IMO it's just that in a mainstream point of view the westcoast is currently overshadowed by the East and the South (although that it might change soon), so they aren't putting out too much West Coast rappers

Woodrow

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:10:09 AM »
Montell Jordan was signed on Def Jam until 2003, so I don't know where the hate for the west is... IMO it's just that in a mainstream point of view the westcoast is currently overshadowed by the East and the South (although that it might change soon), so they aren't putting out too much West Coast rappers

Doesn't this prove my point?

2003 was 5 years ago.

The last Montell Jordan song I remember was the one with Master P in the late 90's.

Shango

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 12:11:33 PM »
somebody hook that Dro track up

Elano

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 12:41:28 PM »
Warren G > Twinz > Dove Shack -
Find me somebody from the west coast @ their level NOW  ::)

FOC

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Still Here Still Workin Still FMG/Blu Division/PMG
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »
You have to help yourself before the label does. If you dont make the label have to start supporting you then they wont.
Who I'm Working with right now: Glasses Malone, Ya Boy, XO, Topic, Crooked I, Juice, Black, Big Fase 100, B-Fly, Greedy, Mack Maine

www.myspace.com/focbeats

http://twitter.com/FMGFocus

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 03:40:57 PM »
why worry about def jam? shit fans scream they just on some east coast shit,yet want them to sign west coast cats hahahha, they did hook warren g up,damn he was the star of the lil movie they did the show, they never put out melo album tho and he had some heat yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 04:08:12 PM »
Fuck Def Jam. If Westcoast artists wanna bubble, they need to have the mindset that they will have to do it on their own. No ones gonna help you, especially not an Eastcoast label. Theres way too much money to be made, and way too much politics bein played. Even if a Westcoast artist blows up....and signs to Def Jam, who's he under? If Def Jam has two artists with the same potential, same skill, same quality of music....but one is from the West and one is from the East, who's gonna get the shine? Theres a lot of money out here, but also way too many egos. Everybody wants to be the star. They need to put that shit to the side, and build up the West again.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

MarshColin

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 04:51:31 PM »
Def Jam does not hate the west coast, the west coast hates itself. West coast artists can't support each other and the fans can't support the artists so it's like why would they want to market a product to that audience when they can grab a South artist or an East Coast artist and not have to worry about anything but their music? The west coast needs to change and I'm not talking about the music I'm talking about the whole attitude out here. That's no simple task and they don't want to take on that responsibility. When it all boils down to it, this is a business, and from a business standpoint, west coast artists are a huge gamble for a label like Def Jam to take on.

West coast music has grown tremendously in the last couple years though and I'd say it's a step in the right direction.

Ese Torsido

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 05:01:15 PM »
You're right, Coma. This situation holds even truer to the Chicano rap scene. For example, the South HATES the North because they have a bigger fanbase, they're always one step ahead of the game, and the black and brown conflict up there means shit - they all love one another. South is more raza orientated, expose a grim gangster tale, and they have a tradition of not wanting to work with other rappers other than those in their own neighborhood. San Diego and East L.A. is nothing but pure Darwinism.

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 06:07:03 PM »
dj felli fel power 106 dj on the west coast is also signed to island def jam

No Teflon

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »
LOL, West Coast has no Creativity...U serious? Compare shit like DMX, When he hit the scene hard, all his singles were straight Hood Bangers and he sold like 8 million copies each time... and COmapre that to Fuking West Coast, Specially from 1998-2003...Shit was horrible, Thousand of Death Row rejects all talking about the same washd up shit, Big Syke, Swoop G, Realest all them, Millions of west Coast MC's Having absolutely no creativity, one half is scared to make something Commercial, the other half cant make shit for shit.

WEst Coast has been known to be wack as fuck, East Coast has a much bigger mainstream appeal and talent, Many RNB acts supporting, They look on the west Coast as a Bum ass niggaz that are gonna talk about Gunz on every track.... Which they do....

East Coast is much softer, Faggoty, but thats the way it is, Fabulous, Jeezy all them Def Jam faggots, they all make club shit...but they are bigger....

Only Creative dude on the west was Snoop, Game is a phenomen, i dunno how he sold 966 000 in USA with One blood. Wouldnt get far was a very Good Smart Song...

I dont belive G malone,and all them new artists will blow up big....There is a complete lack of creatiivity and interest in their songs....

Mixtape Fan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 08:34:15 PM »
dj felli fel power 106 dj on the west coast is also signed to island def jam
:-\