Author Topic: Why Does Def Jam Hate the West Coast?  (Read 497 times)

Mixtape Fan

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Why Does Def Jam Hate the West Coast?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 08:35:16 PM »
Def Jam does not hate the west coast, the west coast hates itself. West coast artists can't support each other and the fans can't support the artists so it's like why would they want to market a product to that audience when they can grab a South artist or an East Coast artist and not have to worry about anything but their music? The west coast needs to change and I'm not talking about the music I'm talking about the whole attitude out here. That's no simple task and they don't want to take on that responsibility. When it all boils down to it, this is a business, and from a business standpoint, west coast artists are a huge gamble for a label like Def Jam to take on.

West coast music has grown tremendously in the last couple years though and I'd say it's a step in the right direction.

Woodrow

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 02:13:12 PM »
Def Jam does not hate the west coast, the west coast hates itself. West coast artists can't support each other and the fans can't support the artists so it's like why would they want to market a product to that audience when they can grab a South artist or an East Coast artist and not have to worry about anything but their music? The west coast needs to change and I'm not talking about the music I'm talking about the whole attitude out here. That's no simple task and they don't want to take on that responsibility. When it all boils down to it, this is a business, and from a business standpoint, west coast artists are a huge gamble for a label like Def Jam to take on.

West coast music has grown tremendously in the last couple years though and I'd say it's a step in the right direction.

The West Coast hates itself and can't support each other? Thats a straw man argument. There is going to be beef anywhere, I don't see it being any worse out here than any other region. Have you been listening to any new music lately? Just to name a few:

Hot Dollar ft Jay Rock
Young Hootie Ft. Kila Krock, Problem, G. Malone
Roccett Feat Spider Loc
Snoop Ft Western Union
Ya Boy Ft. Eastwood
G. Malone Ft. Mistah Fab
Federation Ft Daz
Mack 10 Ft Butch Cassidy
Quik Ft Kurupt
Bloc Boyz ft. Glasses Malone
Warren G Ft Bishop Lamont
Terrace Martin ft. damn near everybody

I could go on and on, but a lack of collaboration isn't a problem.

Woodrow

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 02:17:04 PM »
If Westcoast artists wanna bubble, they need to have the mindset that they will have to do it on their own.

I agree 100% I guess the way I see it, The West Coast is ALREADY bubbling on its own, and the major label support hasn't materialized. That's where I call bullshit.

Jungleboy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • From P-Funk to G-Funk
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 02:33:35 PM »
To be real. We need another Record Company like Death Row Records. Fuck Aftermath. They dont support West Coast musicians!

Another huge record label like Death Row would bring the west back!! Look, if some of the westcoast rappers unite under one label, they would get the attention of universal or warner.

Doggystyle records is wack. Snoop doesnt know about buisness. He hasnt got buisness skills.

Quote from: Soopafly DPGC about his hands
I don't live for the man, but I do study him so I can hope my pimp hands one day become as strong as his. When i first started listening to him, my hands were only strong enough to crush a beetle.  Now that i've studied him for 15 years, my hands are strong enough to crush a dog.

Outrageous Distribution

• 'G'
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 02:34:47 PM »
def jam is NY based. Plain and simple we move different. Dub C signed there back in the day his shit went copper so did Jayo his shit went foil. They dont know how to promote Westcoast artist!!!

The Ultimate Pianist

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 02:49:38 PM »
You have to help yourself before the label does. If you dont make the label have to start supporting you then they wont.

agreed.

Woodrow

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 03:05:58 PM »
You have to help yourself before the label does. If you dont make the label have to start supporting you then they wont.

agreed.
So Young Hootie, Ya Boy, Bangloose, Block Boyz, Crooked I, and all these other artists not signed to a major aren't putting in work?

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 04:55:55 PM »
but how come every time yall cats in "these"threads post artist it's usually the same type of artist? come on it's like that's all we can put out,so of course shit gonna get hella stale, you got that cat blu who is gett'n hella love worldwide on the under, you got pac div, bubbling on the low,xl middleton shit is crazy,el prez album is crazy, shit if you gonna put a major west coast label out,branch out to cover to WHOLE FUCC'N THING,NOT JUST THE GANGSTA SHIT,CAUSE IF YOU DO THAT IT SEEMS LIKE YOU ARE JUST PUT'N OUT THE SAME TYPE OF ARTIST,EVEN THO THEY MAY BE A LIL DIFFERENT FROM EACH OTHER. HELL one of the hardest albums to come out from the west was that evidence album!!! yet we sweep it under a rug cause the muthafucca ain't out there sag'n his pants and having that typical "THUG STORY BACCGROUND"; THAT MUTHAFUCCA'S OUT HERE ACT LIKE THEY NEED CONFIRMED BEFORE THEY CAN SUPPORT A FUCC'N ARTIST. stop running from the truth. and the same goes to the so called underground mix shit up, let me see a fucc'n mc eiht f. pac div joint, a brotha lynch f. evidence, kurupt and messy marv f. sir mix alot, fucc doing all that typical shit all the time. and who gives a shit about def jam yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Ese Torsido

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 05:09:13 PM »
To be real. We need another Record Company like Death Row Records. Fuck Aftermath. They dont support West Coast musicians!

What about Koch Records?

Jungleboy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • From P-Funk to G-Funk
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 08:07:53 AM »

What about Koch Records?

Koch Records just distribute the albums. They dont promote this like Death Row Records

Quote from: Soopafly DPGC about his hands
I don't live for the man, but I do study him so I can hope my pimp hands one day become as strong as his. When i first started listening to him, my hands were only strong enough to crush a beetle.  Now that i've studied him for 15 years, my hands are strong enough to crush a dog.

SGV

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2008, 08:46:03 AM »
Def Jam doesn't hate the West. They've had very little success with the West Coast in general. Warrens first joint went Triple Plat, his next album Gold. SCCs All Day Everyday went Gold. What did Jayo sell? Dub C? They are an East Coast label, period. Always have been. Always will be. If it wasn't for Scarface Def Jam South def wouldve never took off, nor would it have gained its respect. Having a name like Scarface attached makes it easier to bring in talent.

Im sure if a Too Short or someone of that stature went to Def Jan to head up Def West, things would be different. Short would have more knowledge on how to promote a rapper out here than some kid from Long Island sitting in his Manhattan office. But that's just a thought. Def Jam has not been that successful with the West and that's a fact.

And yes, the West does NEED to support better. Woodrow posted up a list of artits who work together. But think about how small that list is when you look at lets say DJ Khaleds album.

Rick Ross, Trick Daddy, T.I., Flo Rida, Plies, Pitbull, Brisco, Lil Wayne, Birdman, Young Jeezy...

That's love. That's just a minimal list of the Southerners who rep on his albums. The West Coast artists need to start working together across the board. Not just a handful of artists...

Lazar

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2008, 09:06:01 AM »
Def Jam doesn't hate the West. They've had very little success with the West Coast in general. Warrens first joint went Triple Plat, his next album Gold. SCCs All Day Everyday went Gold. What did Jayo sell? Dub C? They are an East Coast label, period. Always have been. Always will be. If it wasn't for Scarface Def Jam South def wouldve never took off, nor would it have gained its respect. Having a name like Scarface attached makes it easier to bring in talent.

Im sure if a Too Short or someone of that stature went to Def Jan to head up Def West, things would be different. Short would have more knowledge on how to promote a rapper out here than some kid from Long Island sitting in his Manhattan office. But that's just a thought. Def Jam has not been that successful with the West and that's a fact.

And yes, the West does NEED to support better. Woodrow posted up a list of artits who work together. But think about how small that list is when you look at lets say DJ Khaleds album.

Rick Ross, Trick Daddy, T.I., Flo Rida, Plies, Pitbull, Brisco, Lil Wayne, Birdman, Young Jeezy...

That's love. That's just a minimal list of the Southerners who rep on his albums. The West Coast artists need to start working together across the board. Not just a handful of artists...

Real talk