Author Topic: Kobe on playing in Europe- "I'd go".  (Read 1215 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Kobe on playing in Europe- "I'd go".
« on: August 08, 2008, 12:11:13 PM »
I highly doubt it'd happen, but it'd be a damn shame if it did...

Kobe to Italy?

Posted by Marc J. Spears, Globe Staff August 8, 2008 12:37 AM

BEIJING – If Italy comes knocking with big money next summer, the NBA could lose its biggest star in Kobe Bryant.

When asked by The Boston Globe about a report that LeBron James would strongly consider playing in Europe for $50 million for one season when he becomes a free agent in two years, Bryant said he would take a similar deal by a pro team in Italy if offered when he becomes a free agent next summer. Such would be a devestating loss for the NBA since the Los Angeles Lakers star was the NBA’s Most Valuable Player last season and considered its most popular player. The Associated Press originally reported that Bryant could have interest in playing professionally in Europe.

“I’d go. I’d probably go,” said Bryant, during a USA Basketball press conference on Friday morning. “Like Milan or something like that, where I grew up or something like that… Peace out.”

Bryant continued: “Do you know any reasonable person that would turn down 50 (million dollars)?”

Bryant spent a large part of his childhood growing up in Italy while his father, Joe, played professional basketball there and speaks fluent Italian. In 1999, the 10-time NBA All-Star also acquired a 50 percent ownership of the Olimpia Milano of the Italian Professional Basketball League.

“Because I grew up in Italy it has more significance to me because I’m more familiar with it, I’ve been there and I still have friends there,” said Bryant, a three-time NBA champion. “I’m thinking about buying a house out there. It would be nothing to me to be able to do that.”

ESPN.com reported that a person close to James said Tuesday that the Cavaliers' superstar would strongly consider playing overseas if he was offered a salary of "around $50 million a year." ESPN also reported that Russia CSKA Moscow and Greece Olympiacos have already contacted James, but nothing has been discussed monetarily. Considering the Euro versus the American dollar and that European teams have no salary cap, a contract paying $50 million American wouldn’t be out the realm of possibility.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Kobe on playing in Europe- "I'd go".
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:23:34 PM »
he's only saying it so teams in the NBA offer him big money...just a threat, wont happen.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 12:25:59 PM »
he's only saying it so teams in the NBA offer him big money...just a threat, wont happen.

He's gunna get a max NBA contract regardless, so no...

the.SET

• 'G'
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:35:34 PM »
The NBA is not what it once was. It was once a huge privilege to play in the NBA, and although it still is, its not as much as it was say 15-20 year ago. For a star to leave the league to go overseas to play si not as big as say it would have been back then. If Kobe would leave the league to go 'home' to play, it would be huge news abe a big blow to the league, but the NBA would recover. Now lets say someone like Larry Bird left the league to play in Europe, the league would have been in critical condition. Times have changed so much that things like this are no as unpredictable as they once were. Just my opinion.
avidSOUND.com: Where Aspiring Musicians Can Be HEARD!

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 12:46:45 PM »
wow.. imagine Europe Vs NBA money wise... they'd throw more money at kobe than lebron for sure id say about 70 mill for a season for kobe? could happen

elmizzy

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 01:28:48 PM »
Lebron was bluffing. If anyone would go, it's "definitely" Kobe because of his background in Italy.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 01:58:06 PM »
I see him doing this maybe after a year of retirement (just cuz he's unbelievably competitive) but theres no way he's leaving the Lakers for Italy.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 02:08:45 PM »
you'd like to think that... then you realize this is a buisness $$$$$

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 03:14:10 PM »
I see him doing this maybe after a year of retirement (just cuz he's unbelievably competitive) but theres no way he's leaving the Lakers for Italy.

thats a possiblity, but word...he ain't goin nowhere.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 05:53:18 PM »
Lakers will give Kobe a max extension...no way he's leaving the Lakers for Europe. He'll do it when he turns 40.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 07:06:18 PM »
go to europe kobe

LOL
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 08:04:40 PM »
gay.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 10:04:51 PM »
I think once he sets his legacy in the NBA, you could see him in Europe. Instead of holding on too long, I could see Kobe in Europe at the age of 34-35, until he decides to quit playing.

Elano

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 10:33:34 PM »
just read again what he said and DON'T CRY  :laugh:

smegma

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
He's got enough money. I'd understand if he'd go back to where he grew up.