Poll

What y'all think?

Classic
Not

Author Topic: DMX - It's Dark & Hell Is Hot = Classic? Or Not?  (Read 500 times)

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
DMX - It's Dark & Hell Is Hot = Classic? Or Not?
« on: September 07, 2008, 09:30:23 PM »
My cousin and I had a discussion earlier tonight about X and his multiple run-ins with the law as of late. Anyway, my cousin thinks X's first album is a Certified Classic. I thought the album was a near-classic with a couple of skips, but not a Certified Classic. However, it is also his best album, IMO.

What y'all think?

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: DMX - It's Dark & Hell Is Hot = Classic? Or Not?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 11:09:59 PM »
man hard to say if its not classic its bordeline. But i feel that with the music that has been coming out in the last 5 years its easy to go back now and look at some of those great great records and say they were classic.

The fact remains tho that when that record came out Dmx was on top of the rap game for a while. everyone was bumping Dmx. I wasent i was bumping my westcoasts shit lol.

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 11:16:41 PM »
^^Yeah, I was bumping this album pretty hard when it first came out, no doubt. Maybe at the time I would've called it a classic, but now that I've worn it out 10 years later, I'd say it's damn close to it, but not quite. Still a damn good album though, regardless.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 01:18:00 AM »
It's definitely a classic. In '98 this was the album I listened to the most. I like every track on it, it has many classic songs and it impacted the industry tremendously. I see people claiming Get Rich Or Die Tryin' or The Marshall Mathers LP as classics well if those are then It's Dark And Hell Is Hot is certified. DMX was never considered a top tier lyricist but some of his verses on here were crazy ie. "Niggaz Done Started Somethin'" and the flow and charisma was unmatched at the time.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 01:24:44 AM »
I'd say it's a classic. Damn, this thread made me wanna bump it, gotta dust it off the shelf and rip it, lol

kemizt

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 01:35:23 AM »
Its was great debut album no doubt, flow on point and Swizz at his best
but classic maybe not, like Jd got my mind right said its bordeline

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 04:26:21 AM »
hard to call but i'd lean towards it being a classic. i think the problem with most of dmx's albums are that they are just too damn long.

Lucifuge

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 05:24:45 AM »
can someone upload that classic. i looseit my cd.
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

ABN

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 05:37:52 AM »
the material is damn near classic but i think you have to consider it a classic just because of the enormous impact it had on hip hop. this was when Puff,Mase,the Lox and even Jay-Z were running around in their shiney suits talking about how they were balling and a whole bunch of other fuckboy shit. X just came out and made it possible for hardcore rappers to move major units once again. and without X there certainly wouldn´t have been no market for cats like 50 Cent and the Lox(after they left Bad Boy). X may not be the best rapper of all time but he sure as hell is the rapper that´s made the biggest impact on hip hop as a whole since Pac and Big.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 05:38:47 AM »
the material is damn near classic but i think you have to consider it a classic just because of the enormous impact it had on hip hop. this was when Puff,Mase,the Lox and even Jay-Z were running around in their shiney suits talking about how they were balling and a whole bunch of other fuckboy shit. X just came out and made it possible for hardcore rappers to move major units once again. and without X there certainly wouldn´t have been no market for cats like 50 Cent and the Lox(after they left Bad Boy). X may not be the best rapper of all time but he sure as hell is the rapper that´s made the biggest impact on hip hop as a whole since Pac and Big.

Real talk

kemizt

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 05:46:40 AM »
It's been 10 years, and I've never heard anyone call it a classic. Therefore, a great album, but not a classic.

h2k4

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 11:06:21 AM »
I'd say it is a classic.  Some of the reasons were stated above.

everlast1986

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 11:36:19 AM »
DMX's first 2 albums are near classics. He definetly put out some of the best commercial hip hop during that time period.

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 01:29:22 PM »
DMX's first 2 albums are near classics. He definetly put out some of the best commercial hip hop during that time period.

commercial but still hard hip hop

Elano

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 02:25:21 PM »
It's definitely a classic.
without a fuckin doubt  8)

P.S. Flesh Of My Flesh Blood Of My Blood still a really DOPE record