Author Topic: The Wrestler - trailer & review  (Read 945 times)

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
The Wrestler - trailer & review
« on: November 22, 2008, 01:21:38 AM »
http://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2008/1121/368438.shtml

Thanks to Dan N. for sending in this report from a screening of the upcoming film, The Wrestler:

On Monday Nov. 17th I went to a screening of The Wrestler in Georgetown, DC. The Director Darren Aronofsky and Marisa Tomei were present as well for a Q&A after the movie. I just wanted to pass along that I felt the movie was very well done. Showing the behind the scenes life of a past his prime wrestler who is struggling with his failures in the real world was all to real when thinking of guys such as Scott Hall or Jake Roberts.

It also shows the inside of the business of wrestlers preparing for matches, discussing their spots, and how close they are in the small indy shows. Anyone who is a fan of not just wrestling but the business should really see this movie. Also anyone who may be looking into starting a wrestling career should view this movie and see what life can be like during and after when you decide this business is what you truly want to do.

Lastly I'd like to pass along that during the Q&A Aronofsky stated that at an earlier showing Roddy Piper was in the crowd and thanked him for making a movie that showed the true life of many wrestlers. He also said Piper came up and hugged actor Mickey Rourke while crying because of this movie and his performance.

P.S. Tomei is topless in this movie if that gets more viewers to see the movie in December.

The pre-release buzz is really strong for this movie and the just-released trailer is solid. You can view the trailer below:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XGnO1oQk2_w&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xcfcfcf&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XGnO1oQk2_w&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xcfcfcf&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Sikotic™

Re: The Wrestler - trailer & review
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 01:42:15 AM »
All of Darren Arenofski's (sp?) movies are amazing. Requiem For A Dream and The Fountian are my favorites. I'm sure this will be good.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:22:23 AM »
mehh looks kinda like shit if you aks me

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »
All of Darren Arenofski's (sp?) movies are amazing. Requiem For A Dream and The Fountian are my favorites. I'm sure this will be good.
true, this looks a lil sappy for me tho

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 12:43:43 PM »

What the hell, it looks like shit? Seriously? It looks like a great movie.

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 01:40:07 PM »

What the hell, it looks like shit? Seriously? It looks like a great movie.

I dont know it loks kinda sappy like previous homie said. I like wrestling or at east i did in the 80s 90s and early 2000s but im not feeling this movie realy. Maybe because im fed up with bad wwwe product who knows

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 01:46:58 PM »
I'm sure it will have little to do with wrestling, the way Raging Bull is to boxing.  From the few reviews I've read, they  say that at points it seems it will get melodramatic but it doesn't really reach that point. 

stillinrehab

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 12:06:37 AM »
Im sure itll be good... Glad its not one of those WWE made movies those are  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 04:53:23 PM »
I hope it treats Wrestling properly. I had read that Arnofsky had done a lot of research on the business but I still worry that it'll get it way wrong.

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 07:47:58 PM »
I'm sure it will have little to do with wrestling, the way Raging Bull is to boxing.  From the few reviews I've read, they  say that at points it seems it will get melodramatic but it doesn't really reach that point. 

Raging bull was wicked

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 07:35:21 PM »
this movie was DOPE!!!

i thought it captured the indy scene really well..especially the old timers who still go around trying to make a buck. 

but dont take my word for it...
THE WRESTLER DVD SCREENER LINKS (Rapidshare/Megaupload/Megashares/Filefactory/depoisitfiles)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 07:37:05 PM by The Wykid Won »

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Citizen-Y

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 03:05:15 PM »
Have you screened the movie for members of the wrestling community?

About 10 days ago me and Mickey did a BAFTA screening, and I had heard that Rowdy Roddy Piper was in the audience. We had never met. And at the end, the first question was 'Have any wrestlers seen it?' And I said, 'I actually hear Rowdy Roddy Piper is here. Is that true? Piper, you here?' And the back left corner, this huge silhouette steps up. And he goes, 'What you guys did...' And there's a really long pause. 'I don't know where you did your research...' And there's an even longer beat. I'm thinking, 'This is the beginning of a Q&A, this is a disaster!' Then he broke down, and he said Mickey could not have done a better job. 'It's not my story, but it is my story, and no one else has ever told it.'

G-Funk

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »
I heard it was supposed to be good. I'm not gonna be seein it in theater tho, I'll maybe get a copy somewhere.

herpes

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 11:47:22 AM »
Great movie and if you're a wrestling fan or were a wrestling fan at one point it is a must see.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 03:52:56 PM »
Amazing film. Just saw it. I got a give a lot of respect to Arnofsky for his take on the business, and to Rourke for his amazing portrayal.

Not really a  spoiler but..

....it had the most perfect and fitting ending for a film about wrestling I can think of.