Author Topic: One day classic hip hop will have it's place like classic rock  (Read 478 times)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: One day classic hip hop will have it's place like classic rock
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 05:56:45 PM »
haha thats why im not wastin time wit his posts
im not even gon waste time readin his posts anymore
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 06:11:55 PM »
If there was a classic hiphop station in the detroit area, i wouldn't be listening to cd's still in the ride. I'd be happy if it covered the grounds of 87 to 97, no restrictions to any coast. Just turn that shit up and roll  8)
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

herpes

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 06:20:57 PM »
I'm sure there will be a place for it in 10 to 15 years time but I'm not sure it was quite big enough mainstream wise to garner the same attention classic rock does now. The songs featured on classic rock radio stations were among the biggest pop songs of their day in popularity and there were so many of them. Rap had a successful 90s sure I don't think it there enough monster hits to sustain the same level of air play that classic rock gets.

Sure there are going to be plenty of hip hop radio stations but to have a radio station that is exclusive to 90s Rap, and hove one in each major market of the country, I just don't see that happening.

It will never be as big as classic rock but in bigger markets like NY and LA it will get shown the love it deserves b/c it the market in those area are big enough to sustain it's success.  And how many tracks do they really gotta play ?  Classic rock stations are no better than top 40 stations now.  They play the same 20 tracks all week and sprinkle in some of the gayer hits of the time.  Just like top 40 pop stations do now lol.
yea classic rock stations anoy me, and i listen every day during work casue i got no other choice, i do a lot of sports tralk as well, but anywho, they play 85% of the time the same songs over and over, they got like 8 zep songs, 8 beatles song, 4 pink floyd songs, 4 doors songs, etc. etc. etc. they take these amazing artists and they cut them down to their signles, they also dont play other cool bands of the time that werent that big, they only play like 2 kinks song, or like 2 dylan songs, its really anoying, plus i hate the range of classic rock, some stations have it to like late 80s even early 90s, radio is fuckin gay, but about rap, i dont get why there are no stations now that dont play top 40 rap, like it doesnt make sense, even like 10 years ago i remeber listening to rap stations and hgearing current singles and like stuff from 5 years ago, now they just recycle the same new artist bullshit over and over, its unlistenable

Thats how 104.3 in NY is.  I went a few months stuck listening to the radio b/c the CD player in my car went.  Hot 97 is a fucking joke so I was listening to classic rock and 85% of the station was Zeppelin and Pink Floyd

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 10:39:08 PM »
I'm sure there will be a place for it in 10 to 15 years time but I'm not sure it was quite big enough mainstream wise to garner the same attention classic rock does now. The songs featured on classic rock radio stations were among the biggest pop songs of their day in popularity and there were so many of them. Rap had a successful 90s sure I don't think it there enough monster hits to sustain the same level of air play that classic rock gets.

Sure there are going to be plenty of hip hop radio stations but to have a radio station that is exclusive to 90s Rap, and hove one in each major market of the country, I just don't see that happening.

It will never be as big as classic rock but in bigger markets like NY and LA it will get shown the love it deserves b/c it the market in those area are big enough to sustain it's success.  And how many tracks do they really gotta play ?  Classic rock stations are no better than top 40 stations now.  They play the same 20 tracks all week and sprinkle in some of the gayer hits of the time.  Just like top 40 pop stations do now lol.

I agree with everything there. New York and LA can sustain just about any kind of radio station with the size of their markets. Shit I bet if you searched the AM dial in NYC you could find an all-polka radio station. I just can't ever see places like Memphis, Houston, San Fran, Boston, etc, etc, etc. ever being able to sustain classic rap.

Yes, Classic Rock stations aren't anything more than 1966 to 1980 Top 40 Rock. I never said the stations were any good.

herpes

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 11:16:40 PM »

I agree with everything there. New York and LA can sustain just about any kind of radio station with the size of their markets. Shit I bet if you searched the AM dial in NYC you could find an all-polka radio station. I just can't ever see places like Memphis, Houston, San Fran, Boston, etc, etc, etc. ever being able to sustain classic rap.

Yes, Classic Rock stations aren't anything more than 1966 to 1980 Top 40 Rock. I never said the stations were any good.

Nah, no polka that I know about but a AM radio station plays doo wop lol

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 01:03:42 AM »
Niggas will be talkin' like 'Yo you heard this new shit'?, whatever song it may be and I don't know whether to be embarrassed or not, becuz I don't know it. And than they ask what I'm listening to, and they'll be like, damn that's old, or 'this was my jam', and I always think, it's not old if its what you listen to, it's alive and recent if that's what you like.

I mean, truthfully, Das EFX is more relevant to me than fuckin' Lil' Wayne.

Just the other day somebody was playin' 'C.R.E.A.M.' on they phone and a few older niggas was like 'This used to be that joint at one time, back in the day' and I'm thinkin', nigga, it still is.

Good post.  Dope music is timeless.

kevin t

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 03:49:19 AM »
. Oh yeah Vodka/Cranberry is the shit, goes down like water

Thats why I don't like it, shit goes down to easy.  And I had a bad experience b/c of it.  I just remember downing grey goose and cranberry juice at a club and waking up in the projects lol.
lmao...there's nothing funnier than waking up in random places after a big night.....as long as you didn't wake up with a sore ass it's all good.
ive got an old school playlist in the ipod and it gets a lot of play 82 - 96 era so many classics... some you just totally forget about

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hey Ma

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 04:21:59 AM »
Niggas will be talkin' like 'Yo you heard this new shit'?, whatever song it may be and I don't know whether to be embarrassed or not, becuz I don't know it. And than they ask what I'm listening to, and they'll be like, damn that's old, or 'this was my jam', and I always think, it's not old if its what you listen to, it's alive and recent if that's what you like.

Just the other day somebody was playin' 'C.R.E.A.M.' on they phone and a few older niggas was like 'This used to be that joint at one time, back in the day' and I'm thinkin', nigga, it still is.

Dude that was really well put. I'm gonna use that from now on, sorry to jack your philosophy.

Tay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Bay Area Representative
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 02:46:03 PM »
This is one of the better topics I've seen brought up at the Dub, and I think it will eventually settle it's place. I think the disco era and all the electronic stuff that dominated the 80's is what really set apart the classic rock era, because a lot of people seriously hated the new music coming out. Mainstream rap has saturated the market, but I don't know that many people who listen to the radio, except for maybe at work. I know there's a few satellite stations that play the classic hip-hop, and KDAY in LA had a period where all they played was the late 80's to mid 90's stuff, and I think it will eventually get to that point. It would be nice to be able to turn on the radio and hear a bunch of quality tracks in a row at all times, instead of maybe once a week for an hour when they do their "throwback" sessions.
I got a bird's eye view

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 02:55:48 PM »

Dude that was really well put. I'm gonna use that from now on, sorry to jack your philosophy.
word,Shit was on point QT,couldnt have said it better. oh and props to everyone with a fondness for Vodka in this thread.

also,anyone else get the urge to strangle the person that utters "baby got back" or "humpty dance" when "classic" hip-hop comes up?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 02:59:25 PM by ^ReLentLess^ »

Tay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Bay Area Representative
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »
^^"Baby Got Back", yes!!! "Humpty Dance" is ill though, and Shock G still gets way too little recognition for all the great music he put out. Even more annoying, how many shows/movies have you seen goofy white people dancing to "Baby Got Back", it might have been funny the 1st time it was done, but it definitely isn't now.
I got a bird's eye view

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
^^"Baby Got Back", yes!!! "Humpty Dance" is ill though, and Shock G still gets way too little recognition for all the great music he put out. Even more annoying, how many shows/movies have you seen goofy white people dancing to "Baby Got Back", it might have been funny the 1st time it was done, but it definitely isn't now.
true shock g is dope...but my message to these people is simple:  if the extent of your hip-hop knowledge is novelty rap like tone-loc and "whoomp there it is" then for your own safety please stfu....

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 03:38:33 PM »
Propz and madd respect to the real niggas in this bitch.