Author Topic: One day classic hip hop will have it's place like classic rock  (Read 476 times)

herpes

One day classic hip hop will have it's place like classic rock
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
Maybe cuz I'm drunk but I was just thinking about this.  Everyone can say oh well the only people that care about that shit are on the internet, but everyone and there mother has the internet now a days.  That got me thinking, we still talk about classic albums from the 90's like they came out yesterday.  In a few years the Chronic will be 20 years old.  My favorite album Illmatic is 15 years old now.  But we still talk about these classic albums like they came out yesterday.  It just feels like yesterday that Pac and Big died.  I was listening to the Infamous a couple days ago and it still sounds fresh and new but its 14-15 years old.  Does this shit ever fuck with anyone else, like damn time flies.

Hey Ma

Re: One day classic hip hop will have it's place like classic rock
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:46:48 PM »
First of all, there's a couple things we gotta establish:

1) What are you drinking?

2) What are you listening to?

herpes

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 11:48:16 PM »

I'm drinkin OJ and Vodka.  And I've been listening to random shit all night, as I type this I'm listening to Van Halen - Panama lol.

Hey Ma

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 11:59:27 PM »

I'm drinkin OJ and Vodka.  And I've been listening to random shit all night, as I type this I'm listening to Van Halen - Panama lol.

Panama. Nice. It's good to listen to random music genres while drinking. Anyways, the thing is, plenty of people listen to classic hip hop, it's just that the fanatics congregate on the internet. Our generation and the generation before that grew up in the 80's, for the most part didn't turn into burnouts like the classic rock generation, so we don't feel the need to school younger people on "real hip hop' EVERYWHERE WE GO, like the stoners of the seventies. The appreciation for classic hip hop is huge, you just have to find an outlet for it, which is hard because the generation x and 80's teens aren't really an outspoken group like the classic rock crowd, nor is there a huge internet base a la the high school kids of now, who think TI is the greatest shit ever. We (80's+90's hip hop heads) are out there, just harder to spot.

btw i've been sipping as well. jameson with coors light to chase, and blue diamond smokehouse almonds to chase that.

Gfunk

• 'G'
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 12:11:33 AM »
They should have a classic hip hop radio station like they do with Classic rock (in my country they have heaps of classic rock stations but no classic rap...). I listen to Old School hip hop from 80's and 90's about 95% of the time then some new stuff about 5%.

But yeah i hope people will start to recognise it is the greatest ever like they did with rock.
Code: [Select]
http://www.last.fm/user/Gfunk-

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 06:49:43 PM »
Niggas will be talkin' like 'Yo you heard this new shit'?, whatever song it may be and I don't know whether to be embarrassed or not, becuz I don't know it. And than they ask what I'm listening to, and they'll be like, damn that's old, or 'this was my jam', and I always think, it's not old if its what you listen to, it's alive and recent if that's what you like.

I mean, truthfully, Das EFX is more relevant to me than fuckin' Lil' Wayne.

Just the other day somebody was playin' 'C.R.E.A.M.' on they phone and a few older niggas was like 'This used to be that joint at one time, back in the day' and I'm thinkin', nigga, it still is.

kevin t

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 03:43:29 AM »
Niggas will be talkin' like 'Yo you heard this new shit'?, whatever song it may be and I don't know whether to be embarrassed or not, becuz I don't know it. And than they ask what I'm listening to, and they'll be like, damn that's old, or 'this was my jam', and I always think, it's not old if its what you listen to, it's alive and recent if that's what you like.

Just the other day somebody was playin' 'C.R.E.A.M.' on they phone and a few older niggas was like 'This used to be that joint at one time, back in the day' and I'm thinkin', nigga, it still is.
yeah i see what your saying there with classics like C.R.E.A.M, sometimes i say it myself though...yeah that was a good song, but it always will be. It just gets pushed back to the back of the brain, but always remains.....but like you i seriously get more enjoyment listening to Whodini, Kurtis Blow and these fuckin old school cats than lil wayne, he is not even on my rap radar. Oh yeah Vodka/Cranberry is the shit, goes down like water

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 11:32:48 AM »

its crazy eh? I'll put on some Statik Selektah in my car and my buddies will be like " yo abbott man, you just love the oldschool shit eh?" and i'll be like " muthafucka this shit came out 2 years ago! How is it oldschool?"

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 11:51:14 AM »
its crazy eh? I'll put on some Statik Selektah in my car and my buddies will be like " yo abbott man, you just love the oldschool shit eh?" and i'll be like " muthafucka this shit came out 2 years ago! How is it oldschool?"

Ha, LMFAO!

herpes

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 11:59:22 AM »
. Oh yeah Vodka/Cranberry is the shit, goes down like water

Thats why I don't like it, shit goes down to easy.  And I had a bad experience b/c of it.  I just remember downing grey goose and cranberry juice at a club and waking up in the projects lol.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 12:23:03 PM »
I'm sure there will be a place for it in 10 to 15 years time but I'm not sure it was quite big enough mainstream wise to garner the same attention classic rock does now. The songs featured on classic rock radio stations were among the biggest pop songs of their day in popularity and there were so many of them. Rap had a successful 90s sure I don't think it there enough monster hits to sustain the same level of air play that classic rock gets.

Sure there are going to be plenty of hip hop radio stations but to have a radio station that is exclusive to 90s Rap, and hove one in each major market of the country, I just don't see that happening.

herpes

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 12:34:08 PM »
I'm sure there will be a place for it in 10 to 15 years time but I'm not sure it was quite big enough mainstream wise to garner the same attention classic rock does now. The songs featured on classic rock radio stations were among the biggest pop songs of their day in popularity and there were so many of them. Rap had a successful 90s sure I don't think it there enough monster hits to sustain the same level of air play that classic rock gets.

Sure there are going to be plenty of hip hop radio stations but to have a radio station that is exclusive to 90s Rap, and hove one in each major market of the country, I just don't see that happening.

It will never be as big as classic rock but in bigger markets like NY and LA it will get shown the love it deserves b/c it the market in those area are big enough to sustain it's success.  And how many tracks do they really gotta play ?  Classic rock stations are no better than top 40 stations now.  They play the same 20 tracks all week and sprinkle in some of the gayer hits of the time.  Just like top 40 pop stations do now lol.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 05:19:39 PM »

It will never be as big as classic rock but in bigger markets like NY and LA it will get shown the love it deserves b/c it the market in those area are big enough to sustain it's success.  And how many tracks do they really gotta play ?  Classic rock stations are no better than top 40 stations now.  They play the same 20 tracks all week and sprinkle in some of the gayer hits of the time.  Just like top 40 pop stations do now lol.
yea classic rock stations anoy me, and i listen every day during work casue i got no other choice, i do a lot of sports tralk as well, but anywho, they play 85% of the time the same songs over and over, they got like 8 zep songs, 8 beatles song, 4 pink floyd songs, 4 doors songs, etc. etc. etc. they take these amazing artists and they cut them down to their signles, they also dont play other cool bands of the time that werent that big, they only play like 2 kinks song, or like 2 dylan songs, its really anoying, plus i hate the range of classic rock, some stations have it to like late 80s even early 90s, radio is fuckin gay, but about rap, i dont get why there are no stations now that dont play top 40 rap, like it doesnt make sense, even like 10 years ago i remeber listening to rap stations and hgearing current singles and like stuff from 5 years ago, now they just recycle the same new artist bullshit over and over, its unlistenable

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 05:43:14 PM »

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »