Author Topic: Best clutch player? 82games.com  (Read 389 times)

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

Re: Best clutch player? 82games.com
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 02:46:37 PM »
But bottom line, down by 2, final shot, who do you want taking it? Exactly.

What do u mean by "taking it"? As in, "who do you want with the ball in his hands"? Kobe can create a shot for himself as well as anyone in the league, but I dont always want the guy with the ball in his hands at the end of the game to be the one always taking the shot.  I want the guy who wont turn it over, wont force a stupid shot, and gets his team the BEST POSSIBLE shot whether its him who takes it...or somebody else.
I mean shooting the ball.

A dominant big man. They have better shooting percentages.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 02:48:59 PM »

What do u mean by "taking it"? As in, "who do you want with the ball in his hands"? Kobe can create a shot for himself as well as anyone in the league, but I dont always want the guy with the ball in his hands at the end of the game to be the one always taking the shot.  I want the guy who wont turn it over, wont force a stupid shot, and gets his team the BEST POSSIBLE shot whether its him who takes it...or somebody else.

Let me guess: Tim Duncan? ;) Okay, how about down by 3?

teecee

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 02:51:03 PM »
82games.com uses a very narrow definition of clutch plays. There is more to being a clutch performer then just making the final shot. How about performances in the last 2 minutes? 3 minutes? It can be just as crucial as what leads up to that final play. Then again it is pretty hard to factor in all those variables into sortable stats. As far a Kobe goes, I've felt that over the past couple years, he's fallen a little short of his reputation. This is almost always done by forcing shots he shouldn't take or playing outside of the offense (see game 3 of last years playoffs against the Jazz). Other times he plays hot in the 4th quarter and never looks back. But bottom line, down by 2, final shot, who do you want taking it? Exactly.

WEll, if anyone wants a more accurate depiction of who is really clutch, check this, also fro 82games.com.  And yes, I know stats don't mean everything, and in the case they don't support your boy, they mean nothing, but this is still interesting to b-ball junkies.

Sortable NBA Player "Clutch" Stats
For these stats "Clutch" is defined as:

4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points   

2007-2008 NBA Season Stats
Last update: 4/17/2008
Click on a column header to sort by that stat

Production per 48 Minutes of Clutch Time
 Team  Plr Gm      Min +/- +/- Fga Fg%     3pA 3p% Fta Ft%    Pts Ast'd Reb Ast T/o Blk Stl
 CLE  James 51  215  141  +31 36.1 .475 12.3 .309 22.5 79% 56.0 23% 9.6 8.2 3.6 2.2 2.9
 LAL  Bryant 39  136  31  +11 33.8 .448 4.6 .385 23.3 84% 51.8 23% 8.1 6.0 4.2 0.7 0.4
 DAL  Nowitzki 40  131  45  +17 30.5 .422 8.8 .333 19.9 87% 46.0 45% 13.6 4.4 1.8 1.8 0.7
 SAS  Ginobili 35  127  49  +18 20.3 .574 9.4 .440 16.9 93% 43.3 38% 7.2 10.5 2.6 0.4 3.0
 CHI  Gordon 31  118  -52  -21 28.2 .377 9.8 .458 18.0 90% 42.0 61% 2.9 2.9 4.1 0.0 1.2
 SEA  Durant 35  135  -15  -5 23.4 .470 5.3 .667 18.4 88% 41.8 61% 5.7 2.8 4.3 2.1 1.8
 MIL  Redd 41  146  -34  -11 26.6 .395 10.8 .273 21.3 83% 41.6 31% 5.9 3.6 3.9 0.0 0.7
 PHO  Nash 40  139  36  +12 21.0 .508 10.3 .533 15.2 88% 40.3 16% 4.8 12.8 6.2 0.0 0.7
 PHO  Stoudemire 36  140  33  +11 22.6 .500 1.0 .000 20.9 81% 39.8 75% 14.4 1.0 2.4 1.0 2.4
 GSW  Jackson 39  140  58  +20 19.5 .474 15.7 .457 16.4 85% 39.7 85% 5.8 2.7 2.4 0.7 0.7
 NOH  Paul 30  131  30  +11 24.5 .478 5.5 .400 15.7 83% 38.8 15% 6.2 10.6 2.6 0.0 2.9

This is for last year, but it shows you that Kobne and Lebron were far and away the best ture "clutch" players last year.   Basically, what this all means is Kobe isn't quite as good as some people think in the clutch, and Lebron is better than people think.

But I agree if I needed one shot to win it, I would still go with Kobe.  But he isn't on a Jordan-like level or anything. 

once again though, I think FG% is as important if not more important then actualy points.  If you have a game with 5 minutes left, game is tied. One player goes 4-4, scores 10 points. Another player goes 5-8, scores 12 points. Who is performing better in the clutch?  Assuming neither player is turning the ball over, id take the guy who scored one less point but didnt miss a field goal over the guy who took 8 of his teams shots and only made 5, but scored 2 more points. Chances are the guy who went 4-4 created points for someone else on his team.

Well, it goes Ginobli, Nash, Paul, Stoudemire, Lebron then.    Assists-Ginobli again, with Paul and Lebron up there..   REbounds- Nowitzki, Stpudemire, Lebron

What about plus-minus in clutch time.  Lebron and Stoudemire were through the roof.  A certain individual was not.   

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 03:39:17 PM »

your best shot at winning in that situation would be putting the ball in Kobe's hands. if you think otherwise, you're stupider than i thought (which is almost not possible).

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »
mj doesnt have incredible clutch stats according to 82games...LOL. lebron>mj!!!

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 04:26:59 PM »

Let me guess: Tim Duncan? ;) Okay, how about down by 3?

Robert Horry.  ;D

you saw the Phoenix series last year, "Duncan for three!!!" lol

Dont get me wrong man, Kobe is a great clutch performer...no doubt. There's no arguing that. But I DO think it can be argued who is the best clutch performer in the league. Players have to play to their strengths, even in clutch time. Steve Nash is a great floor General. He's great at leading his team and finding the best shot available for his team no matter who takes it. That doesnt mean in the clutch, he should turn into a score first point guard in order to be considered clutch.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 04:29:25 PM »

your best shot at winning in that situation would be putting the ball in Kobe's hands. if you think otherwise, you're stupider than i thought (which is almost not possible).

definetely. A Kobe fade-away three with three defenders in his face > kicking it out to wide open Fisher for a 15 foot jumper.

Youre a genius Scittles...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 06:50:29 PM »

definetely. A Kobe fade-away three with three defenders in his face > kicking it out to wide open Fisher for a 15 foot jumper.

do you even watch Kobe play? if fisher is available for an open 15 footer, Kobe WILL get it to him...that's why u want the ball in kobe's hands. step it up.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 12:21:38 AM »

My friend from Chicago told me once, when I just assumed MJ will make clutch shots, that MJ was not the clutch player we all thought. He was like, nah, he'll miss a lot. Like Kobe, lately his getting hot again in the clutch, but last year and earlier this year it just seemed too forced.

Stats are stats, and what we see, and what the numbers show are two different things but numbers don't lie. I will say this, most clutch Laker I ever saw was Nick Van Exel during the 94-95 season. It seemed like every shot he took was a comeback from behind win, but yet the Lakers only won like 48 games that year, so not every game winner actually won the game. So it is what it is. Player like Kobe and MJ though get their reputations in the clutch for one reason, they want the ball in their hands. They want the game to be in their hards, and with that risk comes the rewards.

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 02:42:04 AM »
Kobe by far. Top 5 clutch players in NBA history, no order

Michael Jordan
Kobe Bryant
Reggie Miller
Larry Bird
Jerry West

^^^The perfect 5 when it comes to CLUTCH, aint messing with that 5

DIP DIP SET SET

Rick McCrank

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 04:46:32 AM »
don't forget James Worthy, guy had great numbers, from fall to summer

my pops told me he was tha shit

here are some stats for Big Game James, very impressive

Hall of Fame ('03)
3-Time NBA Champion ('85,'87,'88)
NBA Finals MVP ('88)
7-Time All-Star

-   21.1 PPG    54% FG    (143 Career Playoff Games)

-   22.2 PPG    53% FG    (34 NBA Finals Games)

-   21.5 PPG    62% FG    (1985 Playoffs)

-   23.7 PPG    56% FG    (1985 Finals)

-   23.6 PPG    59% FG    (1987 Playoffs)

-   20.7 PPG    52% FG    (1987 Finals)

-   21.1 PPG    52% FG    (1988 Playoffs)

-   28 PTS       9 REB       (Game 6, 1988 Finals)

-   36 PTS       16 REB     10 AST      (Game 7, 1988 Finals)

-   20.0 PPG    49% FG    (1988 Finals)

-   24.8 PPG    57% FG    (1989 Playoffs)

-   25.5 PPG    48% FG    (1989 Finals)

-   17.6 PPG    52% FG    (Career)

-   13.4 PPG    58% FG    (Rookie Season, 77 Games)

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 11:04:03 AM »

Did you see yesterday's game? ;D

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 11:12:07 AM »

Did you see yesterday's game? ;D

exactly my point! Kobe didnt get the ball to Fisher though lol  Scittles point was that Kobe taking the last shot is your best option. My argument is that thats not always true. Last night, perfect example.  Consider who Im arguing with tho man. Its NIK...cmon. Its like me telling a religious nut to prove theres a God and having him turn around and saying "yes there is, because God is the best!".  Similar situation lol

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 11:14:15 AM »

My friend from Chicago told me once

throwing that in there doesnt make the point more valid lol.  If I tell you that my friend from LA says that Kobe is a fake, whiny little bitch with no real leadership skills....does that make the point any more valid then when the rest of the world says it?  ;)

Rick McCrank

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 05:00:53 PM »
Consider who Im arguing with tho man. Its NIK...cmon. Its like me telling a religious nut to prove theres a God and having him turn around and saying "yes there is, because God is the best!".  Similar situation lol

and yet you still give it your all

you and NIK both lose