Author Topic: marvin out of Indy. no longer a colt....  (Read 340 times)

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
marvin out of Indy. no longer a colt....
« on: February 23, 2009, 08:39:17 PM »
.....the fuck?

INDIANAPOLIS -- Marvin Harrison refused to take a pay cut. The Indianapolis Colts couldn't afford to keep him without one.

On Monday, the two sides reached agreement on one thing: Harrison will be a free agent.

Agent Tom Condon told The Associated Press that Indianapolis has agreed to release the franchise's all-time leading receiver, although an official announcement is not expected until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Marvin Harrison, WR
Indianapolis Colts

Career Statistics
Receptions: 1,102
Yards: 14,580
Touchdowns: 128
Colts president Bill Polian told reporters Sunday at the NFL Scouting Combine that the team was trying to rework Harrison's deal to lower the wide receiver's salary-cap number from approximately $13.4 million, the highest number of any wideout in the NFL.

But after the two sides couldn't agree on a restructured contract, Harrison asked the Colts to release him, a league source told NFL Network's Adam Schefter on Sunday.

"Basically, we were not able to come to any kind of agreement, it was not contentious and the Colts have agreed to release him," Condon said in a phone interview.

Team officials declined comment and a message was left by The Associated Press at the office of team owner Jim Irsay.

It's not a surprising move because the Colts would save about $6 million, based on Harrison's base salary. They would still be charged for prorated bonuses from the $66 million deal he signed in December 2004.

The Colts found it too expensive for a 36-year-old receiver coming off one of the least productive seasons of his career.

Harrison ranks second in NFL history with 1,102 receptions, and the move will disappoint many Colts fans, who embraced Harrison as a favorite. They referred to Harrison, Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James as "The Triplets," and Harrison was one of the franchise's most identifiable player in the last decade.

His penchant for toe-tapping catches along the sideline and incredible grabs in the middle of the field helped the Colts build one of the league's most successful franchises in this decade.

But longtime teammates understood why Harrison wanted to become a free agent.

"I think whatever Marvin chooses to do for himself, he has to do," center Jeff Saturday said Sunday night. "I love Marvin as a friend and as a teammate."

Indianapolis took Harrison in the first round of the 1996 draft and when Manning arrived two years later, the tandem began a record-setting journey.

They combined for more completions, yardage and touchdowns than any duo in league history.

Harrison made eight Pro Bowls, won a Super Bowl ring, and his 14,580 yards rank fourth on the NFL's career list. He is No. 5 all-time with 128 TD catches and holds all major single-season and career receiving marks for the Colts.

Over the past two seasons, though, Harrison hasn't been up to his usual standards.

He missed all but five games in 2007 because of injuries, underwent offseason knee surgery and then caught 60 passes in 2008 -- far less than half of his NFL record 143 in 2002.

Philadelphia police also believe one of Harrison's guns was used in an April shooting in his hometown. No charges were filed against Harrison, and the man who made the accusation was convicted on a misdemeanor charge of lying to police.

On the field, Manning has looked more frequently for three-time Pro Bowl selection Reggie Wayne and Anthony Gonzalez, a first-round pick in 2007.

Yet coaches and Polian insisted Harrison's skills had not deteriorated.

"What I saw is a guy who is as quick as he's been, with the same hands, and he has the ability he's always had," new coach Jim Caldwell said Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine.

And Polian insisted he still wanted Harrison back in his familiar No. 88 jersey.

"Hopefully, we'll find a way to work through that (the contract)," Polian said Sunday. "I don't know if we will, but we hope to."

They couldn't.

Now Harrison will look for work elsewhere. Some have speculated that he would like to play with his hometown Eagles and former college teammate Donovan McNabb.

The Colts will have a vastly different look next season.

Former coach Tony Dungy retired in January and was replaced by Caldwell. Caldwell has hired new defensive and special teams coordinators and three of the four longest-tenured players on the roster are heading to free agency, which opens Friday.

Saturday said Sunday night he intended to test the market despite getting an offer from the Colts late last week. Punter Hunter Smith's agent, Thomas Mills, said last week Indy would not try to re-sign Smith before free agency began.

And now Harrison will join them on the open market.

Information from the Associated Press was included in this report

i'm pretty sure the raider sign him.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: marvin out of Indy. no longer a colt....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:58:56 PM »
sadly, he'd be the best WR there

thisoneguy360

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Didn't see this shit coming...I guess everything has to end someday.

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 10:36:49 PM »
Marvin didn't wanna take a pay cut which is the only way he would stay with the Geldings.  And the Raiders....NEGRO PLEASE!  Just like good coaches, good players ain't gonna wanna go there unless there is a new owner.  It would be great if he goes to either purple team cause they need another WR.  It looks like he'll go to the hometown Eagles >:( .  Cause McNabb needs offensive help.  Come to think of it, Marvin would be the best fit.  Pull a gun on these idiotic INGRATE Eagles fans that keeps unappreciating McNabb ;D.  I wish he could be free cause they don't appreciate him >:(

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 10:44:33 PM »
Marvin ain't going anywhere for big money. The Colts know that and that's why they didn't re-sign to set up a trade. And for small money Marvin will not have a better year next year than he'll have in Indy. So unless some team stupidly pays him big cash I could easily see him re-signing with Indy.

I do like the idea of him being in Philly. But I don't think he's worth the money he thinks he should get. There's a bunch of teams he'd be a great asset to but there's no way he'll just jump on a new team and get better numbers than he'll get with his 11 year buddy Manning.

Now what I really want to see is Ray Lewis get dropped by Baltimore and signing with Indy. He's been in Baltimore so long it's about time he wears a real Baltimore jersey.

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:06:07 PM »
Just because they still look like Baltimore cause they refuse 2 change their uniforms doesn't mean they're Baltimore anymore.  Even the Baltimore Colts greats don't even acknowledge the ones in Indy.  Thankfully B.more won a SB b4 Peyton won one.  I'm not from Maryland & i'm glad.  Besides, for some dumb reason Ray wants to be a Jet or go to yesterdays news Dallas Cowboys ???

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 07:44:44 AM »
Just because they still look like Baltimore cause they refuse 2 change their uniforms doesn't mean they're Baltimore anymore.  Even the Baltimore Colts greats don't even acknowledge the ones in Indy.  Thankfully B.more won a SB b4 Peyton won one.  I'm not from Maryland & i'm glad.  Besides, for some dumb reason Ray wants to be a Jet or go to yesterdays news Dallas Cowboys ???

Johnny U acknowledged Peyton and that's all that matters. I just want Ray there because I think it'll put a couple more rings on Manning's hand.

P.S. Stealing the Browns and moving them to Baltimore is no worse than moving the Colts to Indy. Name change or not.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 07:53:09 AM »
bring him to the JEtssss
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 02:35:55 PM »

Johnny U acknowledged Peyton and that's all that matters. I just want Ray there because I think it'll put a couple more rings on Manning's hand.

P.S. Stealing the Browns and moving them to Baltimore is no worse than moving the Colts to Indy. Name change or not.
No Unitas didn't.  And i'm from the west coast & know this.  Baltimore had no choice.  They did deserve an expansion team cause of what happened to them.  That's what they preferred...an expansion team.  But the NFL chose Jacksonville over them.  Even though Jax is between 2 NFL cities anyway, Atlanta & T.Bay.  I felt the 2 expansion teams shoulda been Baltimore & Carolina.  But fools for so many years[not just sports] don't know the meaning of deserve & don't deserve.  And most people in B.more hated the Skins anyway, most of them pull for the Steelers over them.  If you think about it, B.more does well in attendance more than Jax now.  At least Modell had enough class to leave the name & history behind unlike Irsay who had the nerve 2 ask for $50 million for the Colts name & history back. 
  Couldn't they think of a name that has to do with Indiana?  New name, more $$ in merchandise.  Not picking on Cleveland but they shoulda built a new stadium for their no.1 team 1st.  Before the least popular teams, if all the local teams need new stadiums.  Jim Brown even said Modell had to move.  And 3 years is nothing compared to 12-13 years of no football.  The Indians were finally winning & the Buckeyes finally beat Michigan in that period.  The way the Clowns played with Belichick there, they shoulda been thankful that team left.  They deserve better.  Have a team that could whup the Steelers constantly & not the other way around.  And win the SB.  I'd like to see them do well.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 03:02:54 PM »
Haha. I doubt any team is going to pay him $13 million a year.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 05:18:38 PM »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 05:43:35 PM »

No Unitas didn't.  And i'm from the west coast & know this.  Baltimore had no choice.  They did deserve an expansion team cause of what happened to them.  That's what they preferred...an expansion team.  But the NFL chose Jacksonville over them.  Even though Jax is between 2 NFL cities anyway, Atlanta & T.Bay.  I felt the 2 expansion teams shoulda been Baltimore & Carolina.  But fools for so many years[not just sports] don't know the meaning of deserve & don't deserve.  And most people in B.more hated the Skins anyway, most of them pull for the Steelers over them.  If you think about it, B.more does well in attendance more than Jax now.  At least Modell had enough class to leave the name & history behind unlike Irsay who had the nerve 2 ask for $50 million for the Colts name & history back. 
  Couldn't they think of a name that has to do with Indiana?  New name, more $$ in merchandise.  Not picking on Cleveland but they shoulda built a new stadium for their no.1 team 1st.  Before the least popular teams, if all the local teams need new stadiums.  Jim Brown even said Modell had to move.  And 3 years is nothing compared to 12-13 years of no football.  The Indians were finally winning & the Buckeyes finally beat Michigan in that period.  The way the Clowns played with Belichick there, they shoulda been thankful that team left.  They deserve better.  Have a team that could whup the Steelers constantly & not the other way around.  And win the SB.  I'd like to see them do well.

So Johnny U thought Peyton was an undeserving QB?

The point is this; Baltimore took the Browns. Indy took the Colts because Indy's owners wanted them out of Batimore. Rosenbloom wanted to get out years before it happened, and Irsay finally made the deal with Indy. Teams move all the time and they keep the name a lot of the time too; The Dodgers, the Rams, the Raiders, The Patriots (though they didn't move far), The Giants (San Fran), The Braves, The Red Skins. Should I keep going?

Lunatic

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 06:32:35 PM »
I've got a very good feeling of him ending up in Tennessee. We have a knack to go after Colts players not drafting WR's
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 06:42:42 PM »
I've got a very good feeling of him ending up in Tennessee. We have a knack to go after Colts players not drafting WR's

I'll trade you Marvin for Haynesworth.

Lunatic

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 06:48:53 PM »

I'll trade you Marvin for Haynesworth.
No  ;D

I figured he was gone but the 2 sides apparently had a "very productive" meeting recently
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com