Author Topic: Dubcnn Exclusive: Stat Quo on Eminem, Dr. Dre, Jimmy Iovine, Bishop Lamont!!!  (Read 2401 times)

jonathandubcnn

So many hip-hop fans are familiar with Stat Quo’s Shady/Aftermath history, and the controversy surrounding his overly-delayed project. To a label surrounded by the elite giants—the three-headed monster known as Eminem, Dr. Dre and 50 Cent—Stat came, he saw, and he seemingly failed to conquer. He sat frustrated for years waiting for his music to be brought to the world, to no avail.

Now, speaking from the heart about Eminem, Dr. Dre, Jimmy Iovine and everything far and in between, a humble (but true and transparent) Stat Quo opens up to share his side of the story with Jonathan Hay and Chad Kiser for this Dubcnn exclusive.

Without sacrificing his respect for those involved, Stat speaks candidly about his journey seeking the emancipation of his art, in what turned out to be an undoubtedly controversial conversation. And seeing how this interview took place in California, we thought it only appropriate to include his song “In California” produced by Focus. Don’t miss this. Also, make sure you pick up his newly released street album Smokin’ Mirrors.

Exclusive Stat Quo Interview

Be sure to hit me up on MySpace with your ideas, thoughts and suggestions and, as always, leave your feedback in our forums.

Matty

props great interview! stat is a bit more smart and savvy than your average rapper, keeping it real, none of that phony crap. more dudes like him deserve to blow up.

Adriano

• Dream Team
  • Muthafuckin' Don!

props jonny

8)

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Stat Quo is ill.  When he was talking about Bishop he was referring to Grow Up, right? 

I hope Stat and Bishop hook up again to do a track.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Jimmy H.

Yeah, he was talking about Grow Up. I wish the label had gotten behind that one because I think that was an excellent record.

Makaveli's Food & Liquor

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Great interview, its nice to actually hear an honest breakdown of the bullshit that goes on at aftermath and its a shame to hear that Dres the main one whos flopping all these album releases for the most part and jimmy to a lesser extent, i guess Dre has a right to be like that when you look at what hes accomplished but still think about how much dope shit we're never gonna hear :(

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
Great interview, its nice to actually hear an honest breakdown of the bullshit that goes on at aftermath and its a shame to hear that Dres the main one whos flopping all these album releases for the most part and jimmy to a lesser extent, i guess Dre has a right to be like that when you look at what hes accomplished but still think about how much dope shit we're never gonna hear :(

It's pretty messed up..Trying to maintain and ensure continuity of a certain art may be a huge burden at times... :-\
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

kuruptDPG

dope interview cheers

Jimmy H.

It's good to hear Stat break it down because generally speaking, Jimmy tends to be the fall guy whenever people get mad at that Interscope situation. It is a bit of a tough situation because Dre is the one label head who is the most removed from being an "artist" in terms of creating new talent. With Snoop and 50, there is a lot more of a necessity for them to have a prominent featured role in the spotlight when they introduce an artist where Dre kind of knows how to establish his fingerprints on the project without making it all about him. He tends to know how to sell a new artist to Dre fans while at the same time, making them able to create an entire fanbase of their own. This is a valuable tool for creating new stars but it's more or less to the point where Dre has done so much that just putting out another album isn't enough. It has to be some "Oh my God! Most incredible shit I've ever heard" stuff or else, it turns into "He has fallen the fuck off!". Stat brought up a great example with that Busta Rhymes album. People really sleep on that fucking album.

jonathandubcnn

We appreciate the feedback... It was a great experience for Chad and I to talk to the very humble Stat Quo  8) Also, Chad and I are working on a lot of cool and exclusive stuff for Dubcnn, and the West Coast music scene in general!!! 

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
  where Dre kind of knows how to establish his fingerprints on the project without making it all about him. He tends to know how to sell a new artist to Dre fans while at the same time, making them able to create an entire fanbase of their own. This is a valuable tool for creating new stars but it's more or less to the point where Dre has done so much that just putting out another album isn't enough. It has to be some "Oh my God! Most incredible shit I've ever heard" stuff or else, it turns into "He has fallen the fuck off!". Stat brought up a great example with that Busta Rhymes album. People really sleep on that fucking album.

Exactly!!!

Which tallies up with my post as well!!
I can't eve imagine the pressure on Dre..
Good Post Jimmy H
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
LMAO @ Bishop's bitch ass leaking that Grow Up track, I knew Dre wouldn't put that out
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

GangstaBoogy

Yeah, he was talking about Grow Up. I wish the label had gotten behind that one because I think that was an excellent record.

That record just wasn't for him. I still feel that Bishop should've given Dre that record. "Grow Up" would've been that perfect first single for Dre to slap the world with.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell

That record just wasn't for him. I still feel that Bishop should've given Dre that record. "Grow Up" would've been that perfect first single for Dre to slap the world with.

Does not sound like Dre liked it that much. You never know.

Triple OG Rapsodie

Not really? Great record, but not a club single you know what I mean? No rapper can blow up off a song like that in today's market, even if it was pushed by the label. Even 50 had in da club.