Author Topic: WIDEawake Drops The Ball Again... Death Row Comics?  (Read 1123 times)

EFFeX

WIDEawake Drops The Ball Again... Death Row Comics?
« on: June 25, 2009, 10:06:25 AM »
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/06/24/death-row-records-back-from-the-dead-and-making-comics/

Death Row Records: Back From The Dead And… Making Comics?
Published by Brian Warmoth on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 9:39 am.

Tupac ShakurTupac Shakur lived on in the hearts of many after he was shot dead in 1996. Now, the roads might be paved for him to live on in new graphic novels as well. Eminem and Public Enemy are appearing in comics these days, and 50 Cent is looking to them for inspiration, so it might not be so surprising that Death Row Records, bought during bankruptcy in January for $18 million, could become a comics publisher as part of its new multimedia ambitions.

“Our goal is to continually breathe new life into Death Row,” WIDEawake Entertainment Group founder Lara Lavi told Billboard.com.

WIDEawake, who now owns Death Row, plans to launch a new brand extension called Hustle City that will produce books, animated webisodes, games, and even a feature film using the legendary hip-hop label’s properties. At the top of their list is a graphic novel that will include a CD insert of story-related music.

Death Row’s catalog contains more than 10,000 tracks by recording mega-stars including Tupac, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and Tha Dogg Pound, and Warren G. Just what kind of story material Hustle City will mash up with those tunes remains to be seen, but anything from an “Adventures of the Dogg Pound” comic to a graphic novel history of Dre and Suge Knight’s violence-plagued business venture that changed the face of rap and hip-hop seems like it could be a candidate for comics.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:09:40 AM by EFFeX »

DTG Entertainment

Re: WIDEAwake Drops The Ball Again... Death Row Comics?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 10:08:54 AM »
UGH!!!!!  :'(

EFFeX

Re: WIDEawake Drops The Ball Again... Death Row Comics?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 10:10:04 AM »
Great way to handle the catalog Lara!

Keep up the great work!

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 10:10:26 AM »
Great way to handle the catalog Lara!

Keep up the great work!

LOL!

JohnnyL

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:08:28 AM »
While I don't feel this is a terrible idea, or for that matter a completely new one ( I still remember Kokane's proposed comic book introduced in the liner notes for "Funk Upon a Rhyme," ), I think that anything like this should take a back seat to the music itself being released. 

Giesuz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Veterano
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 11:16:01 AM »
i'm just interested in the bonus music lol

JohnnyL

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 11:19:24 AM »
i'm just interested in the bonus music lol

lol....Yeah, in a way that is pretty funny.  I can just see it now.  There will be a line of Death Row collectors waiting outside "Borders" for Death Row comic books. 

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 11:26:48 AM »
While I don't feel this is a terrible idea

^^Are you serious?

Mark my words people are gonna wish this whole Wideawake thing never would have happened.

~Loyalty Is Everything~

EFFeX

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 11:31:34 AM »
It just seems like it's the wrong focus. They should be working on mastering the unreleased music and putting together authentic musical projects. Instead they are almost making Death Row into a parody of itself. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they know what they are doing, but I'm starting to get pretty worried.

I can just see it now...

Get your own Death Row action figure in each Happy Meal from McDonalds.

JohnnyL

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
While I don't feel this is a terrible idea

^^Are you serious?

Mark my words people are gonna wish this whole Wideawake thing never would have happened.

Yes, I'm serious.  While I don't see why an idea like this would be given priority over just releasing the albums or a video collection, I don't think the idea itself is necessarily terrible.
   Kokane had an idea to use comics.  Eminem has currently appeared in Marvel's Punisher comics.  Apparently there are similar plans for 50 Cent.  The insert to Snoop Dogg's "Doggystyle" album contains a comic (As did his "Last Meal" album). Eazy-E's "Impact of a Legend" cd/dvd set also contained a comic book.  Outside of rap music, Rob Zombie has used comic books and a comics motif, for years.
   I'm not saying the way they will handle this idea will necessarily be good.  I'm increasingly skeptical of Wideawake's handling of the Death Row brand.  I'm just saying, there might be something to the idea.
  Like you I'm skeptical about all of these plans.  So far, all they've managed to do is release a three track cd sampler and a pretty shoddy website that allows for no fan feedback or interaction.  I think some of there plans sound good, but I won't be convinced of anything until I see it.  I'll be happy if they prove me wrong, but ultimately, it comes down to whether or not they're going to drop the albums.  That's what everyone wants.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:42:06 AM by JohnnyL »

Zeus

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 11:50:10 AM »
where does it say they are putting the music on the shelf to focus on comics?
Best west coast board on the net, sign up

http://WWW.BASEMENT24.PROBOARDS.COM/

JohnnyL

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 11:58:28 AM »
where does it say they are putting the music on the shelf to focus on comics?

It doesn't.  I think people are jumping the gun on this, a bit.  While I think with regards to the comics, there's probably only a few ways they could do it right, and unlimited ways they could fuck it up, I'm still going to try to reserve judgement.  On one hand, I give them credit for thinking outside the box, but I will remain skeptical until they actually come up with a timetable that sticks for releasing the albums. 
 If they can manage to get the September release to stick for "The Chronic: Relit," that will go a long way in convincing me.  Also, they really do need to come up with a better
website.  I don't think they even update the current one on any regular basis.  That's the one thing the old Death Row management, for all their faults, always had right.

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
It just seems like it's the wrong focus. They should be working on mastering the unreleased music and putting together authentic musical projects. Instead they are almost making Death Row into a parody of itself. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they know what they are doing, but I'm starting to get pretty worried.

I can just see it now...

Man, I want 2Pac, Suge, and Sam Sneed action figures - so I can reenact the Sam Sneed beat down of 1996.

JohnnyL

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 12:01:15 PM »

I can just see it now...

Man, I want 2Pac, Suge, and Sam Sneed action figures - so I can reenact the Sam Sneed beat down of 1996.

lmao

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 12:11:57 PM »

I can just see it now...

lmao

When I was little, I had a Batman mansion. I think they should start Death Row play sets for Can Am and the Wilshire offices.