Author Topic: Dubcnn: Exclusive Interview With DJ KHALIL - Part 1 (Dre/Detox/Self Scientific)  (Read 1377 times)

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

kuruptDPG

Dubcnn: What's funny is that you see Dre getting criticized by the public a lot for taking so long to put something out. But all the artists and producers who work with him never have anything negative to say about him. What do you think that makes him so special to people working with him?

Honestly, he has nothing else to prove to anybody, as far as I'm concerned, after breaking superstar artists and creating several different movements and hit records. What else does he really have to prove? It kinda sucks that people even wanna doubt him like that, but that's Hip-Hop. That's the record business, it's all about what you've done lately

[/quote]

what did yall think of this question and response?

Digital Pimpin'

Props on the interview, can't wait for part 2. Khalil is the future.

OcToExtraordinaire

• Hookup Maestro
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Dubcnn: What's funny is that you see Dre getting criticized by the public a lot for taking so long to put something out. But all the artists and producers who work with him never have anything negative to say about him. What do you think that makes him so special to people working with him?

Honestly, he has nothing else to prove to anybody, as far as I'm concerned, after breaking superstar artists and creating several different movements and hit records. What else does he really have to prove? It kinda sucks that people even wanna doubt him like that, but that's Hip-Hop. That's the record business, it's all about what you've done lately
I think he's right. A lot of cats are mad @ dre. But, what did they accomplish? Instead of being a bunch of internet kids? Well, almost nothing. I call that disrespect.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 09:27:11 AM by OcToExtraordinaire »

Portugoal

I think he's right.

But why do 9 out of 10 Dre beats suck balls these days?

OcToExtraordinaire

• Hookup Maestro
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
But why do 9 out of 10 Dre beats suck balls these days?
I don't think so. Think about Relapse. Maybe I haven't heard the same thing as you, but still.

kuruptDPG

I think he's right. A lot of cats are mad @ dre. But, what did they accomplish? Instead of being a bunch of internet kids? Well, almost nothing. I call that disrespect.

i dont think its disrespecting him. look at focus, that guy left because the shit he was doing wasnt coming out, whjy work with someone when most likely you album aint coming out? whso fault is that? dre's or the artist?

OcToExtraordinaire

• Hookup Maestro
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
i dont think its disrespecting him. look at focus, that guy left because the shit he was doing wasnt coming out, whjy work with someone when most likely you album aint coming out? whso fault is that? dre's or the artist?
I understand both of em. Dre & Focus. Focus because when you're an artist, you NEED to put something out. When you're working on something, they're is always a part of you that says "You need to drop this bomb". On the other hand, I understand Dre too. Because if you're looking for perfection, it takes time to reach that level. If you wanna be a leader, you need to work harder than the 99% of followers out there. As I said, I completely understand both of em.

Nima - Dubcnn.com

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I understand both of em. Dre & Focus. Focus because when you're an artist, you NEED to put something out. When you're working on something, they're is always a part of you that says "You need to drop this bomb". On the other hand, I understand Dre too. Because if you're looking for perfection, it takes time to reach that level. If you wanna be a leader, you need to work harder than the 99% of followers out there. As I said, I completely understand both of em.

But Khalil's still releasing beats on alot of projects out there. I think Focus needs to blame himself some what for not shopping his beats more, and for not getting on projects that aren't affiliated with Aftermath...

Matty

Dre is still that dude. I don't think it's fair for anyone to even question if he's fallen off. He's still the same dude that brought us all that timeless music and he's still doing his thing. It's more to do with whether people are feeling his musical direction as of late.

Relapse for example. I really didn't enjoy that album musically. To me it was pretty flat, cold, not exciting in the least. Probably a minority position, but at the same time, the level of mixing skill on there was obviously light years ahead of most producers. It all sounded correct, I just didn't like the sounds much in the first place.

I'm optimistic Detox will be exciting if Dre brings back that funk/soul influence and there's plenty of warmth to go along with the super crisp mixing and drum sounds 8)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 05:39:33 AM by Matty »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
thanks Nima ;)

for what Nima was pointing out, it's a great question.
Khalil made some valid points too.

however, there's definitely some constructive cricicism from the public about Dre & Detox. i don't feel like quoting it time after time, but you can check my signature.

Dre is still that dude. I don't think it's fair for anyone to even question if he's fallen off. He's still the same dude that brought us all that timeless music and he's still doing his thing. It's more to do with whether people are feeling his musical direction as of late.

Relapse for example. I really didn't enjoy that album musically. To me it was pretty flat, cold, not exciting in the least. Probably a minority position, but at the same time, the level of mixing skill on there was obviously light years ahead of most producers. It all sounded correct, I just didn't like the sounds much in the first place.

I'm optimistic Detox will be exciting if Dre brings back that funk/soul influence and there's plenty of warmth to go along with the super crisp mixing and drum sounds 8)
no doubt, Dre is the king 8)
he's still evolving after all these years