Author Topic: Jay-Z - Blueprint 2 : The Officially Certified Cliche Review  (Read 264 times)

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
Jay-Z - Blueprint 2 : The Officially Certified Cliche Review
« on: November 08, 2002, 09:17:27 AM »
Track Listing:

Gift Disc:

1. A Dream ft. Faith & Biggie - prod: Kanye West
2. Hovi Baby - prod: Just Blaze
3. The Watcher Pt 2 ft. Dr Dre, Truth Hurts & Rakim - prod: Dre
4. 03 Bonnie And Clyde ft. Beyonce - prod: Kanye West
5. Excuse Me Miss - prod: Neptunes
6. What They Gonna Do ft. Sean Paul - prod: Timbaland
7. All Around The World ft. Latoiya Williams - prod: No I.D.
8. Poppin Tags ft. Big Boi, Killer Mike & Twista - prod: Kanye West
9. **** All Night - prod: Neptunes
10. The Bounce - prod: Timbaland
11. I Did It My Way - prod: Jimmy Kendrix & Big Chuck

Curse Disc:

1. Diamond Is Forever - prod: Ron Meester & Big Chuck
2. Guns & Roses ft. Lenny Kravitz - prod: Heavy D
3. U Don't Know Remix ft. M.O.P. - prod: Just Blaze
4. Meet The Parents - prod: Just Blaze
5. Some How Some Way ft. Beanie & Scarface - prod: Just Blaze
6. Some People Hate - prod: Kanye West
7. Blueprint 2 - prod: Charlemagne
8. *****z Please ft. Young Chris - prod: Neptunes
9. 2 Many Hoes - prod: Timbaland
10. As One ft. Bleek, Free, Young Gunz, Peedi, Spark, Rells - prod: Just Blaze
11. A Ballad For The Fallen Soldier - prod: Neptunes
12. Show U How - prod: Just Blaze
13. *****es & Sisters - prod: Just Blaze
14. What They Gonna Do II - prod: Digga

Here we go... I know y'all been waiting for *my* opinion  

"A Dream" ... i was REALLY skeptical about this... but its really well done... i love the production and Faith really fits on here. Good start to the LP....

"Hovi Baby" I like parts of this beat a lot... it feels like it'll grow on me... he did this song dope live on SNL. he's two for two.

"The Watcher Pt. 2" been waiting for this basically since Rakim signed to Aftermath... and Jay came really well on it... i was impressed. Dre sounds good... why is Truth Hurts on here? she doesnt add a single thing to the song... Rakim... well...  :o about sums it up. instantly one of my favorite songs of the year.

"03 Bonnie & Clyde" hated it when i heard it, still hate it... everyone getting on the "im gonna get some rub from Tupac" wagon is getting annoying...

"Excuse Me Miss" im actually feeling this track... i like the beat... its nothing amazing... but its solid... nice laid back joint

"What They Gonna Do" why do rappers feel the need to toss on some bounce style beats? god i hate this stuff... this isn't horrible... but jay's flow is REALLY annoying.... and the hook is so irritating.

"All Around The World" mmmm No I.D...... this **** is nice! loving this beat... Note to Common: wtf did you ditch this guy? assclown

"Poppin Tags" dont like the drums at all.. but thats how it is. the rest of the beat is okay... the vocal sample/singing or whatever is aight... the guests make this track nice, otherwise its just there.

"**** All Night" *sniff sniff* i smell a generic neptunes joint. its not bad as much as it is just like 100 other songs.

"The Bounce" well... since my opinion on bounce tracks is generally zzzzz... this gets a zzzzzzzzzzz

"I Did It My Way" its wierd hearing Frank sped up. "the real hood, not the rap hood" lol! once the song actually starts its solid...

on first listen i really disliked this disc... on further listening its solid, with a few standout joints and a few ass joints. gets a 4/5.

"Diamond Is Forever" not digging this song at all really... the hook makes me angry, not in a good way.

"Guns & Roses" interesting collab... Heavy D!... Lenny is dope on the track... overall im digging it... nice beat from Heavy....

"U Dont Know" sped up vocal sample #213252... and i dont like M.O.P. at all... objectively the beat is okay... and its not as bad as i expected... but still without 2 discs this is on the cutting room floor somewhere.

"Meet The Parents" good track... like the story element. nice beat that is dope but subtle...

"Some How Some Way" sped up vocal sample #213253 ... track is really lacklustre to me....

"Some People Hate" ... beat is good once it gets going... Jay sounds solid on it... not amazing but good

"Blueprint 2" frankly im suprised he's still persuing this... considering how bad he got eaten last year. that austin powers **** is disturbing... the beat is really well done though. i always find it funny when Jay-Z tries to go at Nas for contradictions in rhyme when he's at least as bad if not worse... seriously once you start crying on the radio how the **** am i going to take a comeback seriously?

"***** Please" this **** is under produced as hell... with annoying neptunes signature ****.... boooooooooooring

"2 Many Hoes" don't like the beat much. this song is filler.

"As One" .... way to cram a bunch of mediocre MCs on one joint Jigga.... zzzzzzzz

"A Ballad For The Fallen Soldiers" ... why does this remind me of a tupac joint? similar title or something? anyways... its okay, nothing to write home about but better than the last few crappy joints.

"Show You How" not feeling this at all.... could've been done much better... beat seems lazily done.

"*****es & Sisters" dope production... Jigga sounds nice... he needs to stick to the high energy tracks more often than not... i find him getting lazier on those slow joints. this is dope

"What They Gonna Do Part 2" why's this even hear? trash....

disc 2 gets about a 3/5

okay...

dope joints: 5
good joints: 7
zzzz joints: 8
trash tracks: 5

overall i give it a 3.5/5, on the strength of the dope tracks... but man is there some wack **** here... this is why doubles rarely work.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2002, 10:07:04 AM by Cliche »
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

teecee

Re:Jay-Z - Blueprint 2 : The Officially Certified Cliche Review
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2002, 10:13:59 AM »
Being that me and CLiche are BACKPACKERS (just ask King Suge, he'll tell you), i gotta agree with this review.  Jigga has some INCREDIBLE SONGS on this one, and if you take those ones you got a better album that the first Blueprint.  But, i cant believe some of the fucking crap on here as well!  Oh well, Biggie had a acouple shitty songs on his double as well, but there are a few too mny on this one for my liking.  

Not a great cd, although it has some great songs.  I'd say its like 3.5/5, although we all know it could be better.  

Oh ya, as much as i hate the idea and the fact he jacked Pac, i actually like Bonniwe and CLyde 03 now!  Of course, songs like that get played out in a month anyway.........

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 01:43:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure that they sampled the Paul Anka version of "My Way" not the Sinatra version.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2002, 02:05:37 PM »
Sounds like a usual double cd it should be 1 cd.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Mr.Pac-Man

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2002, 05:08:55 PM »

^^exactly!!!!

King-Suge

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 1000 plus posts under my belt..Its GOOD to be King
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2002, 03:05:45 PM »

But the thing is everybody would have different ideas of what should have made the final cut.
I only gave you the crown, so I could shoot it off your fucking head-Suge

Refer to me as your highness or dont refer at all

The King is Eddie Winslow/Youre a modern day Urkel/Ill throw you in the pool and hide your pink snorkel.