Author Topic: Knoc-Turn'Al: Knoc's Ville, Future/Past Projects [New Interview]  (Read 713 times)

Lunatic

http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/1989/54/

The 2nd edition of "The Knoc Files" turned into a little longer than expected so instead of just dropping it in the news section, we have a full blown new Knoc-turn'al interview here on www.raptalk.net.

Download his classic BattleCat produced "It's All About the Doe" track below, as well as getting an official word on upcoming projects such as "Knoc's Ville", "The Book of Knoc" and more.

For our early decade west coast fans, Knoc-turn'al also goes into quite a bit of detail regarding what was to be his debut album, "Knoc's Landin"

Enjoy...

Read Full Interview Here:
http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/1989/54/
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Lunatic

Re: Knoc-Turn'Al: Knoc's Ville, Future/Past Projects [New Interview]
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 02:36:45 PM »
Raptalk.Net: I’m recording now.

Knoc-turn’al: One thing I’m trying to tell you is that BattleCat song “It’s all about the Doe” – people don’t realize that I started my whole album [Knoc’s Landin’] with BattleCat.

Download "It's All About the Doe" (prod. by BattleCat) here:
http://limelinx.com/files/de50603871ebe6f8803e26930489c8de

Raptalk.Net: The “Knoc’s Landin” album was started out with all BattleCat?

Knoc-turn’al: The whole album was started at The Sound Castle with BattleCat. That’s the way I was tuning my album everyday. When I started that album off, I started the whole album with BattleCat. But I knew I was gonna’ finish the album off with Dr. Dre. I knew I was gonna’ have the west coast support behind me. But I had to make sure I started it in the right direction. I was always a fan of Domino’s music; you know you can dig back in the crates, “Sweet Potato Pie” and all of that other stuff. BattleCat did all of that, he’s the one that produced all of that. By me having a sound where I’m what I call a jingle maker; “all I really know is your hoe wants to be me with me”, where I do jingles. The thing was for me to start the album off with a jingle expert.

Raptalk.Net: And that was BattleCat in your opinion.

Knoc-turn’al: In my opinion, that was BattleCat of course. He’s the one who brought that whole feel to the game. And of course I’m from Long Beach and Domino is from Long Beach. It is what it is. People have to give a taste of their roots. I understand what that is. That song”It’s all about the Doe” – “fondle it and feel on it, hate to let it go”, that shit was a great time in my life. I was at Sound Castle and not to brag, but that studio cost a lot of everyday. And I had to stay there like a lab rat because I had a deadline. It wasn’t a fly by night thing; I had to get it done. I had so much time to get it done and BattleCat was one of those studio rats that stayed in the studio with me. Everybody else would be taking breaks and BattleCat was right there working on another beat while I’m recording (laughs).

Raptalk.Net: Do you have any crazy ass stories from working on that album with BattleCat?

Knoc-turn’al: There was a time when these people tried to run in up on there; I thought they were trying to lay somebody down or something. It didn’t work out so well for them.

Raptalk.Net: Do you still remember or have the original track listing of Knoc’s Landin? The actual was-to-be retail version?

Knoc-turn’al: I have that somewhere; I don’t have it with me right there. I do know that Chyna Girl, Slip Capone, Timebomb and Yykes were all supposed to be on it. That was supposed to be the album. Building up L.A. Confidential was supposed to be on the album. Then people started going to jail or losing their work ethic. The only one that never lost their work ethic in my opinion was Slip Capone, even though I love S-Dog because was a good producer; people started getting frustrated and not doing what they needed to do for the team. They left the label which I can not be mad at them about because I eventually did the same thing. What I do know is that Slip Capone is one of the realest motherfuckers I have ever met. His work ethic is impeccable. You don’t have to crack a whip or anything, all you gotta’ do is put dude in front of a microphone. I started channeling my energy through Slip Capone. I learned a lot from Slip. He’s a good dude. He was already on before I was on when he was with Tha Dogg Pound. He was helping Kurupt; that’s Slip Capone right there and he does what he do.

Raptalk.Net: Do you still talk to Slip?

Knoc-turn’al: Yeah, I just talked to him the other day. We were just catching up. I told him he needs to get back on the road with me and of course he was telling me ok. He’s not going to tell me no. if he called me right now and told me I needed to get on a song, he’s not gonna’ tell me no. we’re grown ups in this rap game. It’s not a situation where somebody has to see about the money; fuck the money because the money doesn’t mean shit. The relationships are what mean everything.

Raptalk.Net: What about Hittman?

Knoc-turn’al: Hittman is cool. He’s as arrogant as he wants to be, but he’s cool. That’s a good dude (laughs). He never crossed me or said anything stupid to me. We were going to be the Method Man and Redman for the west coast. I don’t know who was supposed to be who but we were both lyrical. That didn’t work out but it’s all good. One thing for sure is, he will always be Hittman. Whose gonna’ be Knoc-turn’al? Just like who else is gonna be Hittman? A lot of them out there are trying to be Knoc-turn’al, but nobody else can be Knoc-turn’al. A lot of people would love to call them Hittman but who does the world know as Hittman? The person on “2001.”

Raptalk.Net: When was the last time you spoke to Hittman?

Knoc-turn’al: Not in a while. I know he wanted me to do a song. And I want him to do a song. We were trying to link up. Then I had the whole situation with my phone but it’s all good. I lost my numbers. If you know somebody who has his number or his connection, let me know. I need to call him. We’d probably do a song that people on the west coast want to hear. That would be dope. We could even just release it through the digital world. It wouldn’t even have to be anything we’re trying to put out. We can do that. That would probably be something that people would actually want to hear. And of course you know www.raptalk.net would have it first.

Raptalk.Net: No doubt about that. And is there anything else you want to say about the “It’s all about the Doe” track?

Knoc-turn’al: I really did that song because I had just got a lot of cheese thrown at me. I was sitting at the studio and BattleCat just had a lot of cheese thrown at him too from Domino. We were sitting in the studio and of course BattleCat went on to do work with Snoop & Dre. The good thing about that “It’s all about the Doe” song is the first song me and BattleCat felt like we really connected on. After that, it was a go. We did about 20 songs together after that. I still have some in the hidden files but that song right there is when we felt it was a perfect beat and I did some perfect lyrics on his beat. People don’t understand that the producer will get mad at you if you fuck up his good beat (laughs). If you fuck up a producer’s good beat, he’ll be pissed.

Raptalk.Net: After the two of you connected on that track, is that when the two of you decided he would start off the whole Knoc’s Landin album?

Knoc-turn’al: Yeah, and we were gonna’ have Dre bat clean up. Warren G was also gonna’ bat clean up and give us some touch ups. Nate Dogg and Xzibit were gonna’ give some touch ups to. It was a whole situation where it would have been easy. Too $hort was also on there which he ended up being on the EP with Xzibit, Warren & Nate Dogg. We had to re-do some shit. The way that “Str8 West Coast” was, that song was all me of course. But we had to switch it up. It was only 3:30 seconds, radio friendly. But by the time it ended, it was a lot longer than that because I put a lot more people on it. Just like how “Cash Sniffin’ Noses” was produced by Buddha, that song was only me at first until my shit got bootlegged. I’m not mad at the bootleggers; I just have to stay ahead of them.

Raptalk.Net: The original “Str8 West Coast” came out on “The Wash Soundtrack”, and then on the EP with a remixed version with Xzibit, Warren G, Nate Dogg & Shade Sheist.

Knoc-turn’al: No, the original “Str8 West Coast” was on Knoc’s Landin.

Raptalk.Net: But it also came out on “The Wash” before the EP.

Knoc-turn’al: We had a different mix for it though. I understand it was on “The Wash”, but we had done another version of it. I did a bunch of different versions. Just like if you look at my song “The Way I Am”, we have a version with E-40 & WC, a Snoop Dogg remix, the original version with just me and an L.A. Confidential remix. I was remixing my ass off trying to get my shit out because Sylvia Rhone was willing to work with me. “The Way I Am” the song has like 5 remixes of that.

Raptalk.Net: The original, the one with Snoop, the one with E-40 & WC, and the one with Slip Capone, Timebomb and some other dudes from L.A.C.

Knoc-turn’al: Yep, exactly. That’s what I’m saying. If were talking about remixes, I was the remix king trying to get my shit out. if I liked the song, I would get anybody on it. If they sounded good, we’d used it.

Raptalk.Net: How would you say your upcoming projects will compare to the old material?

Knoc-turn’al: I would say the upcoming project is better in one right; “The Book of Knoc” is exactly what it is; it’s still up in making. But “Knoc’s Ville” is an introduction to a new style. There are a lot of people that say the west coast only has one style. I’m trying to do Hyphy metal and all kinds of stuff. I know how to sing folklore. I know music. If you know music, you don’t just know one type of music. I know music. A, B, C, D, E, F, G, is not the alphabet to me; harps, slash and in betweens. When people understand that, they understand lyrics. Music is the soul of how people’s moods are. You listen to whatever you feel inside. If you want to hear happy songs, you turn on “happy feelings.” You want to hear something angry, turn on Dr. Dre (laughs). He has plenty of angry music for you; believe me. He has classic music though; don’t get me wrong. He’s in a class of his own. He has a way of making you feel vocals are nothing. In other words if you hear me talking, just because I say it do you have a problem with it? That’s what classic about Dr. Dre. He gives you the world cut and dry.

Raptalk.Net: “The Book of Knoc” is somewhat of a new style, and “Knoc’s Ville” is the introduction to that?

Knoc-turn’al: Exactly. I would say “Knoc’s Ville” is the introduction and will let you know that I’m still me. What you’re supposed to hear from “Knoc’s Ville” and these upcoming projects, I’m still me. I want to do a “Knoc’s Life” album too.  I’m always gonna’ be me. Just continue to listen and understand that music is in me; it’s an art form. It’s not just one word. I won’t sit hear and just be a rapper; I’m gonna’ sit here and be what I decide to be.

Raptalk.Net: We’re gonna’ end this shortly. But there are a lot of people concerned about the status of the “Knoc’s Ville” project since no release date is in place. Without giving too much away, we do have an announcement on the “Knoc’s Ville” project.

Knoc-turn’al: The “Knoc’s Ville”, people are waiting on it just like there waiting on “The Book of Knoc.” On “Knoc’s Ville”, we do have a current project in the works through the grace of God and through you of course; and your partners and labels in the right places. That’s a stamp and its official.

Raptalk.Net: They can know that “Knoc’s Ville” will get a release date with an announcement very shortly.

Knoc-turn’al: Yeah. I’m in the batters cage about to swing (laughs). They say I fell off; watch this though. It’s fun to me. The entertainment business is a roller coaster ride with ups and downs. You’re only great as your latest hit.

Raptalk.Net: They should watch out for the next hit then….(sings) “Buy me a Rose!”

Knoc-turn’al: “Buy Me a Rose” is something well entertainers will even say to me – ok, alright              Knoc-turn’al you asshole (laughs). Ok asshole, you did that. People get on my ass and other people say oh he’s just a drunk but the fun part about it is, I continue to be me. All you could ask for is to be yourself. When you look in the mirror, if you don’t see yourself then you need to change and become yourself. Keep being you.

Raptalk.Net: We’re gonna’ end it on that note right there. Knoc-turn’al as always is on www.raptalk.net. Do you have any last words before I stop this recording?

Knoc-turn’al: Yeah, go fuck yourself Lunatic (laughs).

Okka

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 02:46:42 PM »
Thanks for the interview homie. +1

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 04:55:45 PM »
Thank U for reading!

Okka

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »
Thank U for reading!

Yeah, go fuck yourself Lunatic :D

Is Knoc gonna be workin' with Battlecat on the "Book Of Knoc", that's a collabo i would like to see.

Blood$

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 05:18:30 PM »
+1 for the track posted, didn't have that one

dope new interview, good to up on Knoc

Lunatic

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 05:19:56 PM »
Okka: LOL! Not sure, but it's not impossible. As Knoc said, he got more BattleCat tracks. Maybe he'll throw one on the album.

How High: Your welcome!

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 06:39:20 PM »
+1 Luna, good shit

Lunatic

Matty

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 08:41:37 PM »
dodges that release date shit like a true politician!

only playing ;D good to hear from knoc. he obviously got some shit which we'd appreciate hearing when it eventually comes out.

Lunatic

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 08:50:55 PM »
dodges that release date shit like a true politician!

only playing ;D good to hear from knoc. he obviously got some shit which we'd appreciate hearing when it eventually comes out.
Nah he ain't dodging a release date, there isn't one..but as you read him say, an agreement is being worked out  ;)

Muhfukka

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 09:37:08 PM »
I’m trying to do Hyphy metal and all kinds of stuff. I know how to sing folklore. I know music
hahahaha

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 06:16:20 AM »
yeah thanks for the interview.

Raptalk.Net: When was the last time you spoke to Hittman?

Knoc-turn’al: Not in a while. I know he wanted me to do a song. And I want him to do a song. We were trying to link up. Then I had the whole situation with my phone but it’s all good. I lost my numbers. If you know somebody who has his number or his connection, let me know. I need to call him. We’d probably do a song that people on the west coast want to hear. That would be dope. We could even just release it through the digital world. It wouldn’t even have to be anything we’re trying to put out. We can do that. That would probably be something that people would actually want to hear. And of course you know www.raptalk.net would have it first.
it's not a secret that hittman has a myspace page

Okka

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 06:54:34 AM »
A new Knoc-Turn'Al and Hittman collabo would be tight too, all tracks they did together was good.

Adriano

• Dream Team
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 08:05:09 AM »

dope

+1

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network