Author Topic: The Decade in Review part 1... 2000-2001... The End of the Bling Era  (Read 513 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
The story of Hip-Hop in the 2000's is one that is confusing and offers some extreme ups and downs. I think it's fair to say that Hip-Hop has seen it's lowest points since the era between September 13, 1996-March 9, 1997. But at the same time Hip-Hop has seen some of it's greatest achievements as it seemed at time Hip-Hop shaped the mainstream with movies like 8 Mile and number 1 hits from artist like Nas. I am going to take Hip-Hop and review it through this last decade. It is important to know that I maybe biased to the westcoast, so bare with me, but I will try to be as balanced as I can. Here is my review of the decade.

The End of the Bling Era:

When the 1990's ended, Hip-Hop has just reached a whole new level in production, Dre 2001. We were deep in the middle of the Bling Era, which was the era that followed the tragic deaths of 2Pac and Notorious B.I.G. and the end of the Gangsta Rap Era. In the Bling Era we were introduced to the concept of hiring the best producers and albums would then be single driven. Taking the lead in the Bling Era is none other than Jay-Z, who was everything the era symbolized. With each video, people check him out for the latest fashions that you must wear; large watches and designer cloths were a must, the lowriders of the early 90's were out and hot new fast cars were in. As record labels merged, money was being thrown around like crazy in Hip-Hop, and for marketing, everyone had their eyes set on the year 2000. It was the year it seemed people wanted to come there best.

Once November of 1999 hit, people were introduced to Dre 2001, and it was a clear message to everyone else, step your game up. The first up to bat was Common, as his more underground rap was not quite mainstream enough to have an impact. That would change, as the now late J Dilla would give Common a truly soulful beat that would help shape mid-west production for the rest of the decade, J Dilla gave Common "The Light". It was a signature song for an underrepresented region that never truly had a song of their own. The Mid-West always was a blend of sounds, and now with a touch of Eastcoast soul samples, they were starting to make it their own. Later that year J Dilla would be the main producer for Slum Village Fantastic, Vol. 2 and his new style would help inspire Kanye West and defined the Mid West sound for a whole decade. The soul based sound was not new to Hip-Hop, producers like Pete Rock and RZA have had their hand in making it popular. But after being put aside most of the Gangsta Era in favor of funk samples, and during the Bling Era in favor of danceable tracks, it was refreshing to see a soul comeback.

With Common in the Mid West doing his thing, 2 other Mid West artist were making a splash. Mister Marshal Mathers and Nelly both came out late spring of 2000, and both with different sounds. Produced mainly be up and coming producer Jay E, Nelly's Country Grammar brought country to Hip-Hop. It was new, as even Southern Hip-Hop focused on bass. Nelly gave his albums a country twang as he paid tribute to his home St. Louis. On the other side of the Mid West came a raw emcee out of Detroit. At the end of the 90's, we were introduced to Eminem, and we found an angry young man, who happened to be white. Well in 2000, we got a better look, and we found out his half psycho. Working with Dr. Dre and the Bass Brothers, Eminem produced what was truly a classic Hip-Hop record that left many people wondering what can this man possibly say next. Ranging from his beef with Insane Clown Posse to killing his wife Kim, to asking people to let him be the way he is, to dealing with obsessive fans, Marshall Mathers pulled no punches. Eminem sold 1.7 million copies in the first week, breaking Snoop Dogg's record for fastest selling album of all time.

The first month of the year Next Friday came out, and the soundtrack featured the reunion of NWA. In the spring on Ice Cube's album there was a song that featured an NWA reunion. The summer of 2000 saw one of the largest concerts tours in Hip-Hop history as Dr. Dre put on the Up in Smoke tour to promote the westcoast on a large scale. People came to see the reunion of Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, along with the reunion of NWA. NWA was the news of the summer in all westcoast boards. You could not escape it. It was part of what drove DubCC to be created. But along with the NWA reunion, people may have come for that, but they were introduced to a westcoast icon, Xzibit. I said for a while that Xzibit was the uncrowned king of the west. His album Restless might have been his 3rd, but it was his first in the mainstream and it was a huge success, eventually making sure he had steady employment. Between coaching football with The Rock and pimpin' out cars, Xzibit has made full use of his summer getting introduced to the nation.

He introduced the Bling Era formula, and no one did it better. Jay-Z ended his 2000 with an album that had productions from the Neptunes, Rockwilder, Just Blaze, Rick Rock and some new cat named Kanye West. With features from R. Kelly, Scarface, Snoop Dogg and his Roc Familia, Jay-Z put his stamp on the Bling Era. It was an album that truly defined the era, and Jay pulled out all the stops to make sure his Roc-A-Fella Records shine. Then came an album from Outkast, and Skankonia was everything we can ask from Outkast and more. It had the traditional experimental tracks we came to expect, but more hot radio tracks that we weren't sure they can produced. Outkast stepped to a whole new level with an album that put them with the elite groups in Hip-Hop history.

The year though was not without tragedy, early in February 2000 Latin great Big Pun died of a heart attack. He was only 28 years old.

The year 2001 started with controversy, and ended in the death of the Bling Era. In what was a slow year album release wise, was made up for in new worthy events and classic releases. In June 2001, after spending a year and a half in court, Puff Daddy was acquitted of gun charges, but rapper Shyne was not so lucky. The 23 year old rapper was sentence to 10 years in prison and this seemed to end his rap career. In early September, R&B princess Aaliyah died in a plane crash after shooting a music video. Then more tragedy hit the nation as a whole, on September 11th the World Trade Centers were hit by terrorist planes, killing over 3,000 people. It was on this date that maybe the most pure Hip-Hop classic since Illmatic was released, Jay-Z's Blueprint.

Blueprint was Jay-Z's finest moment, even though it was released on 9-11. Selling 425,000 copies in the first week, Jay-Z was on top of the world. With an album full of single ready tracks, Jay had one track that was meant to cement his place in history. The Takeover was Jay-Z's response to Mobb Deep and Nas, as he released venom at the two struggling acts. Using some faulty math, Jay-Z crushed Nas with an attack I honestly didn't see Nas coming back from. And his assault on Mobb Deep made me think their career was over. Jay-Z was on top of the world and there was no coming down. For the last 4 years he dominated Hip-Hop, he set the model of how the Bling Era was, he set the fashion, he made the hits and soundtrack of the era, and there was no way he was falling now. Enter Nas's response.

It was a track worthy of being up there with the great diss tracks. No Vaseline, Hit 'Em Up, Jack the Ripper, 2nd Round Knockout, and yes even the great Bridge is Ova just got company, Ether. It was a track so potent, it has become part of the Hip-Hop language for when an artist rips another. Nas released an album that no one expected, it was a post 9-11 album that feature tracks promoting peace, questioning his country, and killing the symbol of the Bling Era. Stillmatic was the Hip-Hop fans answer to what had been 5 years of darkness. It was raw, it had controversy with tracks questioning his country at a time when no one was questioning their country, and it had Ether, a straight and utter killing of Jay-Z and everything he stood for. Before the year ended, Jay-Z responded with a track called Super Ugly, a rushed track that did not answer the call. It was a factual account of sleeping with Nas's baby's momma. But a month before Super Ugly Nas talked about that in the Source magazine, so that killed all shock value for most fans. On Hot 97's poll, Nas won the battle on majority decision, and it with that the death of the Bling Era was official. What followed was the best year of the decade....

The Decade in Review part 2... 2002... A New Goldyn Era??
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:35:32 PM by M Dogg »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The Decade in Review part 1... 2000-2001... The End of the Bling Era
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »
No feedback?

Fraxxx

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 09:35:12 AM »
Very nice read. Waiting for the next part. 8)
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 01:17:47 PM »
Nice read. There was no golden era this decade, more like a sprinkle of gold flakes scattered across 10 years.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 01:20:13 PM »
God damn, that's a long read.
Have to print it out and read while I'm on the shitter :D

Just playing - will read when I have some off time.

kemizt

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 01:23:27 PM »
no mention of Supreme Clientele.. one of the very few classic albums released this decade?

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 01:30:34 PM »
Very thorough breakdown of 2001. Good work Dogg.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 01:30:49 PM »
no mention of Supreme Clientele.. one of the very few classic albums released this decade?

sorry, I was trying to fit in as much as possible in very little time.

Nice read. There was no golden era this decade, more like a sprinkle of gold flakes scattered across 10 years.

ssshhhhhh.... don't ruin part 2. I address that, but look at 2002 releases and tell me that wasn't a great year.

MediumL

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 02:58:10 PM »
props great read. Pretty difficult to mention every big name artist and classic album in depth but u did very well.  8)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 04:02:01 PM »
very good and entertaining read, would've been nice to see Reflection Eternal get some shine.  Released towards the end of 2000.  If Marshall Mathers, Xzibit, Common and Jay Z are the best of the year, Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek easily rounds out the top 5.

MistaNova

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 06:49:46 PM »
The year though was not without tragedy, early in February 2009 Latin great Big Pun died of a heart attack. He was only 28 years old.

I think you mean 2000, M Dogg.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 07:57:59 PM »
Wow somebody actually putting in some work... i'll read it when i get back home

Sofa_King_Awesome

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Five poppin' Six droppin'
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 08:13:48 PM »
The story of Hip-Hop in the 2000's is one that is confusing and offers some extreme ups and downs. I think it's fair to say that Hip-Hop has seen it's lowest points since the era between September 13, 1996-March 9, 1997. But at the same time Hip-Hop has seen some of it's greatest achievements as it seemed at time Hip-Hop shaped the mainstream with movies like 8 Mile and number 1 hits from artist like Nas. I am going to take Hip-Hop and review it through this last decade. It is important to know that I maybe biased to the westcoast, so bare with me, but I will try to be as balanced as I can. Here is my review of the decade.

The End of the Bling Era:

When the 1990's ended, Hip-Hop has just reached a whole new level in production, Dre 2001. We were deep in the middle of the Bling Era, which was the era that followed the tragic deaths of 2Pac and Notorious B.I.G. and the end of the Gangsta Rap Era. In the Bling Era we were introduced to the concept of hiring the best producers and albums would then be single driven. Taking the lead in the Bling Era is none other than Jay-Z, who was everything the era symbolized. With each video, people check him out for the latest fashions that you must wear; large watches and designer cloths were a must, the lowriders of the early 90's were out and hot new fast cars were in. As record labels merged, money was being thrown around like crazy in Hip-Hop, and for marketing, everyone had their eyes set on the year 2000. It was the year it seemed people wanted to come there best.

Once November of 1999 hit, people were introduced to Dre 2001, and it was a clear message to everyone else, step your game up. The first up to bat was Common, as his more underground rap was not quite mainstream enough to have an impact. That would change, as the now late J Dilla would give Common a truly soulful beat that would help shape mid-west production for the rest of the decade, J Dilla gave Common "The Light". It was a signature song for an underrepresented region that never truly had a song of their own. The Mid-West always was a blend of sounds, and now with a touch of Eastcoast soul samples, they were starting to make it their own. Later that year J Dilla would be the main producer for Slum Village Fantastic, Vol. 2 and his new style would help inspire Kanye West and defined the Mid West sound for a whole decade. The soul based sound was not new to Hip-Hop, producers like Pete Rock and RZA have had their hand in making it popular. But after being put aside most of the Gangsta Era in favor of funk samples, and during the Bling Era in favor of danceable tracks, it was refreshing to see a soul comeback.

With Common in the Mid West doing his thing, 2 other Mid West artist were making a splash. Mister Marshal Mathers and Nelly both came out late spring of 2000, and both with different sounds. Produced mainly be up and coming producer Jay E, Nelly's Country Grammar brought country to Hip-Hop. It was new, as even Southern Hip-Hop focused on bass. Nelly gave his albums a country twang as he paid tribute to his home St. Louis. On the other side of the Mid West came a raw emcee out of Detroit. At the end of the 90's, we were introduced to Eminem, and we found an angry young man, who happened to be white. Well in 2000, we got a better look, and we found out his half psycho. Working with Dr. Dre and the Bass Brothers, Eminem produced what was truly a classic Hip-Hop record that left many people wondering what can this man possibly say next. Ranging from his beef with Insane Clown Posse to killing his wife Kim, to asking people to let him be the way he is, to dealing with obsessive fans, Marshall Mathers pulled no punches. Eminem sold 1.7 million copies in the first week, breaking Snoop Dogg's record for fastest selling album of all time.

The first month of the year Next Friday came out, and the soundtrack featured the reunion of NWA. In the spring on Ice Cube's album there was a song that featured an NWA reunion. The summer of 2000 saw one of the largest concerts tours in Hip-Hop history as Dr. Dre put on the Up in Smoke tour to promote the westcoast on a large scale. People came to see the reunion of Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, along with the reunion of NWA. NWA was the news of the summer in all westcoast boards. You could not escape it. It was part of what drove DubCC to be created. But along with the NWA reunion, people may have come for that, but they were introduced to a westcoast icon, Xzibit. I said for a while that Xzibit was the uncrowned king of the west. His album Restless might have been his 3rd, but it was his first in the mainstream and it was a huge success, eventually making sure he had steady employment. Between coaching football with The Rock and pimpin' out cars, Xzibit has made full use of his summer getting introduced to the nation.

He introduced the Bling Era formula, and no one did it better. Jay-Z ended his 2000 with an album that had productions from the Neptunes, Rockwilder, Just Blaze, Rick Rock and some new cat named Kanye West. With features from R. Kelly, Scarface, Snoop Dogg and his Roc Familia, Jay-Z put his stamp on the Bling Era. It was an album that truly defined the era, and Jay pulled out all the stops to make sure his Roc-A-Fella Records shine. Then came an album from Outkast, and Skankonia was everything we can ask from Outkast and more. It had the traditional experimental tracks we came to expect, but more hot radio tracks that we weren't sure they can produced. Outkast stepped to a whole new level with an album that put them with the elite groups in Hip-Hop history.

The year though was not without tragedy, early in February 2009 Latin great Big Pun died of a heart attack. He was only 28 years old.

The year 2001 started with controversy, and ended in the death of the Bling Era. In what was a slow year album release wise, was made up for in new worthy events and classic releases. In June 2001, after spending a year and a half in court, Puff Daddy was acquitted of gun charges, but rapper Shyne was not so lucky. The 23 year old rapper was sentence to 10 years in prison and this seemed to end his rap career. In early September, R&B princess Aaliyah died in a plane crash after shooting a music video. Then more tragedy hit the nation as a whole, on September 11th the World Trade Centers were hit by terrorist planes, killing over 3,000 people. It was on this date that maybe the most pure Hip-Hop classic since Illmatic was released, Jay-Z's Blueprint.

Blueprint was Jay-Z's finest moment, even though it was released on 9-11. Selling 425,000 copies in the first week, Jay-Z was on top of the world. With an album full of single ready tracks, Jay had one track that was meant to cement his place in history. The Takeover was Jay-Z's response to Mobb Deep and Nas, as he released venom at the two struggling acts. Using some faulty math, Jay-Z crushed Nas with an attack I honestly didn't see Nas coming back from. And his assault on Mobb Deep made me think their career was over. Jay-Z was on top of the world and there was no coming down. For the last 4 years he dominated Hip-Hop, he set the model of how the Bling Era was, he set the fashion, he made the hits and soundtrack of the era, and there was no way he was falling now. Enter Nas's response.

It was a track worthy of being up there with the great diss tracks. No Vaseline, Hit 'Em Up, Jack the Ripper, 2nd Round Knockout, and yes even the great Bridge is Ova just got company, Ether. It was a track so potent, it has become part of the Hip-Hop language for when an artist rips another. Nas released an album that no one expected, it was a post 9-11 album that feature tracks promoting peace, questioning his country, and killing the symbol of the Bling Era. Stillmatic was the Hip-Hop fans answer to what had been 5 years of darkness. It was raw, it had controversy with tracks questioning his country at a time when no one was questioning their country, and it had Ether, a straight and utter killing of Jay-Z and everything he stood for. Before the year ended, Jay-Z responded with a track called Super Ugly, a rushed track that did not answer the call. It was a factual account of sleeping with Nas's baby's momma. But a month before Super Ugly Nas talked about that in the Source magazine, so that killed all shock value for most fans. On Hot 97's poll, Nas won the battle on majority decision, and it with that the death of the Bling Era was official. What followed was the best year of the decade....

The Decade in Review part 2... 2002... A New Goldyn Era??
are you people that dumb and slow...lol...
Tuff one...but quik is up there...put it on me is classic imo and on some detox shit...dj lethal>>dj quik....rza>>premo.....dre>>>quik....rza=dre....dre, rza, quik, dj lethal>>>>>timberland, rockwielder, EIMINEM, mannie fresh

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 11:45:13 PM »
bling era never ended

LodiDodi

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 08:50:40 AM »
Underrated album from 2001: Warren G - Return Of The Regulator.  West Coast classic in my opinion, blame Universal for poor promotion

Yo Sassy Ways feat. Snoop & Nate Dogg 

Somethin To Bounce To feat. Soopafly 

Streets of LBC