Author Topic: AFC Playoffs  (Read 926 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: AFC Playoffs
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 07:49:24 AM »
The Patriots and Bengals have the same conference record (7-5), so the tie breaker is based on games against common opponents.  The Patriots record is 2-3 while the Bengals are 1-3. Same for the Jets and Ravens. Both have a conference record of 7-5, but their record against common opponents is Jets 4-0 and Ravens 1-4. Division records only matter if they are in the same division.

Ah. That's kind of stupid but whatever. I'm assuming head to head would trump everything.
It does. The Patriots and Bengals never played each other this season. Neither did the Jets and Ravens.

I know. I'm just saying it should be head to head, then division record, then conference, then same teams record. That makes more sense to me. Both Ne and Cinci are there because they won their divisions, so if they both have the same over all record then the first thing to divide who is better after head to head should be how they did with in their division.
The logic (and I agree with it) is that since they are not in the same division, their division record isn't really relevant. If they play in different divisions, then division record doesn't do too much to determine who has the better record since it is different teams they are playing.

And yet a 9-7 division champ would get home field advantage against a 12-4 Wildcard team even if the head to head, conference record, common opponent, and strength of victory all favor the Wildcard team. My point is division means something in the NFL most of the time. My personal belief is that if you don't have a top 6 Win?Loss record you don't make the playoffs. If that means certain divisions get shut out then so be it.
theres definately credence to that, some teams making the playoffs just becasue their devision is terrible, automatic 6 wins, and get in the playoffs with 6 wins, however, whats the point of divisions then, you might as well just have the nfc and afc clumped into two giant groups, but i think it would get too messy

The divisions would still exist to simplify scheduling and create rivalries, and a shut out of the playoffs wouldn't be as common as some might think but it would make certain division leaders try harder. Last year 8-8 won the AFC West while 11-5 was kept at home in the AFC East. A statement should have been made; you can't mount up a winning record. No playoffs for you. I'd be fine with division leader being the tie breaker over a wild card hopeful with the same record.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 08:44:07 AM »
JETS
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 04:23:27 PM »
I'm getting real sick of this Chargers talk. They aren't that good. It just so happens the rest of the AFC isn't either. I predict 1 and done for the Chargers. You heard it here first. They have some sketchy wins against nothing-special teams and some losses to some nothing-special teams.

Lunatic

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 04:27:49 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chargers win the AFC. No way one and done for them. Cincy/Baltimore/NE won't beat them. Definitely going to be a Colts-Chargers conf. final.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
Rivers would be your MVP if #18 wasn't in the league.

they are better then they have been the last few years; finally heathly & the last few years they have seem to put away the Colts.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 04:47:11 PM »
Rivers would be your MVP if #18 wasn't in the league.

they are better then they have been the last few years; finally heathly & the last few years they have seem to put away the Colts.

They can beat the Colts. But they can beat the Colts with Billy Volek. They did not beat the Ravens this year and lost to an over rated Steelers and Broncos. And a few of those wins againt the Giants and Cowboys were nothing special. If it's Colts/Chargers, SD will be favored. They can't mathematically be 1 and done against the Ravens because they can't see them unless it's the Conference Final. Here's my AFC playoff prediction and maybe it's wishful thinking. Jets and Ravens win next week. Colts beat the Ravens. Jets beat the Chargers. Colts beat the Jets.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 04:53:51 PM »
i agree until you get to Jets/Colts.

we clearly got their number. ;D 8)