Author Topic: AFC Playoffs  (Read 925 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
AFC Playoffs
« on: January 03, 2010, 08:49:58 PM »
NFL.com says

1. Colts
2. Chargers
3. Pats
4. Bengals
5. Jets
6. Ravens

I'm curious as to why NE is over Cinci and NYJ are over Bal. Both Cinci and Baltimore have better division records and there's no head to head matches. Why is the seeding in this order?

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: AFC Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 08:56:02 PM »
hmm, i dont get it either

Jaydc

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 08:57:39 PM »
Im kinda curious as well.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
At least I'm not alone. The reason I noticed is because the best bet for the Colts was to face the Ravens and Jets and I can't see the Jets beating the Chargers so I wanted Baltimore in the 5 seed. The Ravens I believe have the ability to shut down the Chargers and score on them. I see both Wildcards winning next week in the AFC. Unless Cinci was hiding something up there sleeve in an attempt to surprise the Jets next week I can't see them winning. And no Welker should be the difference in the Pats/Ravens game. I'd prefer Indy not seeing SD or NE at all. SD because they can walk right over that D line and NE because if they do happen to win that's Brady winning over Manning and I obviously don't even like the possibility of that. I'll take the ring on the finger over the strength of victory at this point.

And Dallas is the only team I worry about for Indy in the Superbowl, because of the size of their lines.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 09:19:02 PM »
The Patriots and Bengals have the same conference record (7-5), so the tie breaker is based on games against common opponents.  The Patriots record is 2-3 while the Bengals are 1-3. Same for the Jets and Ravens. Both have a conference record of 7-5, but their record against common opponents is Jets 4-0 and Ravens 1-4. Division records only matter if they are in the same division.

Jaydc

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 09:22:25 PM »
Thanks for the clarification

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 09:24:30 PM »
The Patriots and Bengals have the same conference record (7-5), so the tie breaker is based on games against common opponents.  The Patriots record is 2-3 while the Bengals are 1-3. Same for the Jets and Ravens. Both have a conference record of 7-5, but their record against common opponents is Jets 4-0 and Ravens 1-4. Division records only matter if they are in the same division.

Ah. That's kind of stupid but whatever. I'm assuming head to head would trump everything.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 09:36:45 PM »

Ah. That's kind of stupid but whatever. I'm assuming head to head would trump everything.
It does. The Patriots and Bengals never played each other this season. Neither did the Jets and Ravens.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 09:38:40 PM »
NFL.com says

1. Colts
2. Chargers
3. Pats
4. Bengals
5. Jets
6. Ravens

I'm curious as to why NE is over Cinci and NYJ are over Bal. Both Cinci and Baltimore have better division records and there's no head to head matches. Why is the seeding in this order?

It's because the Pats and Bengals won their divisions
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »

It does. The Patriots and Bengals never played each other this season. Neither did the Jets and Ravens.

I know. I'm just saying it should be head to head, then division record, then conference, then same teams record. That makes more sense to me. Both Ne and Cinci are there because they won their divisions, so if they both have the same over all record then the first thing to divide who is better after head to head should be how they did with in their division.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 10:13:51 PM »
NFL.com says

1. Colts
2. Chargers
3. Pats
4. Bengals
5. Jets
6. Ravens

It's because the Pats and Bengals won their divisions

I know. I was wondering why NE should be placed higher than Cinci. But Teddy explained it.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 10:25:35 PM »
The Patriots and Bengals have the same conference record (7-5), so the tie breaker is based on games against common opponents.  The Patriots record is 2-3 while the Bengals are 1-3. Same for the Jets and Ravens. Both have a conference record of 7-5, but their record against common opponents is Jets 4-0 and Ravens 1-4. Division records only matter if they are in the same division.

I know. I'm just saying it should be head to head, then division record, then conference, then same teams record. That makes more sense to me. Both Ne and Cinci are there because they won their divisions, so if they both have the same over all record then the first thing to divide who is better after head to head should be how they did with in their division.
The logic (and I agree with it) is that since they are not in the same division, their division record isn't really relevant. If they play in different divisions, then division record doesn't do too much to determine who has the better record since it is different teams they are playing.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 07:16:09 AM »
The Patriots and Bengals have the same conference record (7-5), so the tie breaker is based on games against common opponents.  The Patriots record is 2-3 while the Bengals are 1-3. Same for the Jets and Ravens. Both have a conference record of 7-5, but their record against common opponents is Jets 4-0 and Ravens 1-4. Division records only matter if they are in the same division.

The logic (and I agree with it) is that since they are not in the same division, their division record isn't really relevant. If they play in different divisions, then division record doesn't do too much to determine who has the better record since it is different teams they are playing.

And yet a 9-7 division champ would get home field advantage against a 12-4 Wildcard team even if the head to head, conference record, common opponent, and strength of victory all favor the Wildcard team. My point is division means something in the NFL most of the time. My personal belief is that if you don't have a top 6 Win?Loss record you don't make the playoffs. If that means certain divisions get shut out then so be it.

Jaydc

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 07:18:24 AM »
Every sport uses the same division rule,its never going to change.If they didnt follow it then divisions would be pointless.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 07:36:46 AM »

And yet a 9-7 division champ would get home field advantage against a 12-4 Wildcard team even if the head to head, conference record, common opponent, and strength of victory all favor the Wildcard team. My point is division means something in the NFL most of the time. My personal belief is that if you don't have a top 6 Win?Loss record you don't make the playoffs. If that means certain divisions get shut out then so be it.
theres definately credence to that, some teams making the playoffs just becasue their devision is terrible, automatic 6 wins, and get in the playoffs with 6 wins, however, whats the point of divisions then, you might as well just have the nfc and afc clumped into two giant groups, but i think it would get too messy