Author Topic: Is Jawalrus Russel the biggest bust in Nfl history?  (Read 1071 times)

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

Re: Is Jawalrus Russel the biggest bust in Nfl history?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 11:11:57 AM »
I kept reading Russell was working out, had a dietitian, was down to 240, was ready to do, leaner and meaner, and now is really 290. Okay, I've had faith in the guy, but it's time to pack up our losses, cut him and trade for a decent vet and draft Colt McCoy. When we drafted him, I was excited, but I had this feeling maybe we should have drafted Calvin Johnson and then taken Troy Smith later in the draft. Oh well, easy to say now.

Calvin Johnson was considered the most talented player in that draft...and there was TALK that the Raiders would go after him. But most analysts were mocking that idea...saying that it wouldnt make sense cus we NEEDED a QB far more then a WR,and should take Russell.  The draft can be pretty hit or miss sometimes. You wanna see them go after McCoy? Interesting. When would they pick him up? Cus if they DO pull the trigger on this trade and take McNabb they would more then likely lose their 39th pick.  Taking McCoy with our #1 pick is WAY too early....but he wont fall to the third round for us to get him their. I dont really like the idea of trading for McNabb unless we can get him to sign an extension...and I dont see that happening. So for me, Id rather see us keep our second round pick...try to make that trade for Rosenfels (which will be far cheaper then McNabb) OR take the 5th round tender on Troy Smith and get him in there. Then they can still draft McCoy in the second round if they want (assuming he is there at #39), and have him sit this first year. Cus I dont think he'd be ready to come in and run an offense immediately.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 12:36:14 PM »
I kept reading Russell was working out, had a dietitian, was down to 240, was ready to do, leaner and meaner, and now is really 290. Okay, I've had faith in the guy, but it's time to pack up our losses, cut him and trade for a decent vet and draft Colt McCoy. When we drafted him, I was excited, but I had this feeling maybe we should have drafted Calvin Johnson and then taken Troy Smith later in the draft. Oh well, easy to say now.

Calvin Johnson was considered the most talented player in that draft...and there was TALK that the Raiders would go after him. But most analysts were mocking that idea...saying that it wouldnt make sense cus we NEEDED a QB far more then a WR,and should take Russell.  The draft can be pretty hit or miss sometimes. You wanna see them go after McCoy? Interesting. When would they pick him up? Cus if they DO pull the trigger on this trade and take McNabb they would more then likely lose their 39th pick.  Taking McCoy with our #1 pick is WAY too early....but he wont fall to the third round for us to get him their. I dont really like the idea of trading for McNabb unless we can get him to sign an extension...and I dont see that happening. So for me, Id rather see us keep our second round pick...try to make that trade for Rosenfels (which will be far cheaper then McNabb) OR take the 5th round tender on Troy Smith and get him in there. Then they can still draft McCoy in the second round if they want (assuming he is there at #39), and have him sit this first year. Cus I dont think he'd be ready to come in and run an offense immediately.

You might be right. I do remember the scouts laughing at Calvin Johnson, but even then I had second thoughts on Russell, but once he was drafted I was on board 100% because he was a Raider. Now, it's easy to say, well maybe that idea would have been better, that's the benefit of seeing it 4 years laters. Their were 2 concerns about Russell then, he was too young (he is barely 25 now) and for some reason he won one bowl game and out of no where his a better pick that Brady Quinn, who was the number 1 QB all the way up until that game. But every scout had Russell as that can't miss QB. So it's easier to say now.

I still like McCoy, I agree though his not ready right now. I think the Raiders need a veteran QB. I loved Dante Culpepper coming to the Raiders when they drafted Russell, but he was found to be too injured prone. The only way I trade for McNabb is IF, and I mean IF you want to keep Russell. Who knows, maybe this QB class isn't as strong as the previous years, you get McNabb and hold off until next year. I have no idea, but Russell coming in 290 pounds is highly disappointing. I've even heard rumors he hates being in Oakland and will basically keep this up as long as his in Oakland. Personally, you knew you were going to be in Oakland, have some damn pride in your career and yourself and get to doing what you do. But who knows?

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »

You might be right. I do remember the scouts laughing at Calvin Johnson, but even then I had second thoughts on Russell, but once he was drafted I was on board 100% because he was a Raider. Now, it's easy to say, well maybe that idea would have been better, that's the benefit of seeing it 4 years laters. Their were 2 concerns about Russell then, he was too young (he is barely 25 now) and for some reason he won one bowl game and out of no where his a better pick that Brady Quinn, who was the number 1 QB all the way up until that game. But every scout had Russell as that can't miss QB. So it's easier to say now.

I still like McCoy, I agree though his not ready right now. I think the Raiders need a veteran QB. I loved Dante Culpepper coming to the Raiders when they drafted Russell, but he was found to be too injured prone. The only way I trade for McNabb is IF, and I mean IF you want to keep Russell. Who knows, maybe this QB class isn't as strong as the previous years, you get McNabb and hold off until next year. I have no idea, but Russell coming in 290 pounds is highly disappointing. I've even heard rumors he hates being in Oakland and will basically keep this up as long as his in Oakland. Personally, you knew you were going to be in Oakland, have some damn pride in your career and yourself and get to doing what you do. But who knows?

Yeah. McNabb would be great....for THIS upcoming year lol. But face it...we arent looking to win a Superbowl this year. Just try to contend for a playoff spot.  Its not worth losing TOO much just for one year of contention....unless McNabb will extend his contract with us. Then giving up a 2nd round pick would defintely be worth it.  But Id be all for going after Rosenfels...or like I said, even Troy Smith. Giving up very little to get either. The fact that the Eagles just traded away Sheldon Brown could mean Asomugha is a possibility again in the McNabb talks. Which could be terrible.

Man, Ive even heard rumors that Al is in love with CJ Spiller. lol. If he goes and takes Spiller with our #1 pick...Im killin Al.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

the ghost

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 01:23:11 PM »
Ryan Leaf makes Jamarcus look like fucking Joe Montana.

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 01:33:21 PM »
Ryan Leaf makes Jamarcus look like fucking Joe Montana.

I dunno man. Im a die hard Raider fan....and JaMarcus is pretty fuckin bad.  Ive always defended him as a Raider fan. Really, it was the worst possible situation for him to fall into. A QB that is still pretty raw and needs some polishing...landing in a franchise that is in turmoil at the time.  The coaching staff is a revolving door, no consistency.  A very polished QB coming out of a college would have struggled there. With that being said...last year.....wow.  He was missing on the simplest patterns. Simple out routes...shit...even HB screens he was missing on. Dude needs a TON of work.

westsiderider323

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »
al davis needs to fuckin roll over and die already raiders r goin no where it him in charge

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 02:54:42 PM »
al davis needs to fuckin roll over and die already raiders r goin no where it him in charge

and then his son will take over... :-X

westsiderider323

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 03:09:26 PM »

either he will follow in his footsteps or realize that his daddy is a dumbass

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 03:13:50 PM »

either he will follow in his footsteps or realize that his daddy is a dumbass

They just need to hire a GM to run the team...Al needs to just supply the money...and let go.  Once he does that...the team will be fine.  Or yeah....die...

Jaydc

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 04:20:14 PM »
I dont see mcnabb going to the raiders,Im pretty sure hes stated hes not willing to go there.And who can blame him.I think a great fit for mcnabb would be the 49ers,they need a QB now,they have a solid team but all their young QBs have been failures more or less.If he went to the 49ers they would instantly win that division now that warner is retired.

As far as the raiders,even if mcnabb went there it would be a mistake.The raiders needs so much more then a qb to even be competive.They need help pretty much every aspect of their game.Problem is they need a complete overhaul from owner to gm to coaches to players.As is,I cant see this team making the playoffs for the next ten seasons.

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2010, 04:44:20 PM »
I dont see mcnabb going to the raiders,Im pretty sure hes stated hes not willing to go there.And who can blame him.I think a great fit for mcnabb would be the 49ers,they need a QB now,they have a solid team but all their young QBs have been failures more or less.If he went to the 49ers they would instantly win that division now that warner is retired.

As far as the raiders,even if mcnabb went there it would be a mistake.The raiders needs so much more then a qb to even be competive.They need help pretty much every aspect of their game.Problem is they need a complete overhaul from owner to gm to coaches to players.As is,I cant see this team making the playoffs for the next ten seasons.

every aspect? Did u even watch them last year? Their defense is pretty good. Their running game is very solid. When Gradkowski played last year...they were actually a decent team. They beat Pittsburg, Cincy, and Denver with him.  Its mainly Russell.  Its been shown that adding a good veteran QB to a team typically adds about 6 points/game to the offense and 2-3 wins/season. Having McNabb would put us at a point of fighting for a wildcard.  The only reason McNabb wouldnt be worth it...is cus he only has one year left on his contract. If we couldnt get him to resign it would be a waste.

Jaydc

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »
I didnt watch every game,I watched bits and pieces the only full game I watched was them being raped by the jets 38-0.

But just looking at the stats and personnell they have.They were the worst team in the league against the run,teams literally run at will against them and that I remember seeing.Their O and D line ares atrocious.They have a bonafie star corner,but he only plays on one side of the field,and why would anyone throw against him when they just line their number one receiver up on the other side of the field and throw there.Or they just run the ball down the raiders throats all game.The defense is a mess,and their offense is a mess as well.they have no qb,no good running game,a mediocre receiver core.Just glancing at the stats their rated near the bottom of the league in almost ever defensive category,same as offense.This team could get mcnabb and still fnishs 5-11.They are that bad.

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »
I didnt watch every game,I watched bits and pieces the only full game I watched was them being raped by the jets 38-0.

But just looking at the stats and personnell they have.They were the worst team in the league against the run,teams literally run at will against them and that I remember seeing.Their O and D line ares atrocious.They have a bonafie star corner,but he only plays on one side of the field,and why would anyone throw against him when they just line their number one receiver up on the other side of the field and throw there.Or they just run the ball down the raiders throats all game.The defense is a mess,and their offense is a mess as well.they have no qb,no good running game,a mediocre receiver core.Just glancing at the stats their rated near the bottom of the league in almost ever defensive category,same as offense.This team could get mcnabb and still fnishs 5-11.They are that bad.

If you watch them, their defense actually isnt that bad. Their problem is that JaMarcus's play made the offense so inept...that the defense spent a ton of time on the field. The would get worn down throughout the game...thus teams would start to just pound the ball. Asomugha is pretty much always going to stick the number 1 receiver on the other team. You cant just line your number one up on the other side of the field...cus Asomugha will still stick him on that side.  He isnt restricted to just one side of the field.  With the right QB, the entire team will improve. The defense wont be on the field so much, the running game will have room to operate. As it is now...they usually run the ball very well for the first quarter or so. Then the defenses stack the line cus JaMarcus wasnt a threat to throw the ball and connect. When Gradkowski came in...he was a bit more of a threat and defenses had to respect him more...they couldnt SIMPLY crowd the line and stop the run. Imagine what a defense would do with McNabb back there...and a running game as good as the Raiders. Even ESPN was saying how this would be a better running game then what McNabb was used to having. The fit would be very good. The problem would only be whether they could keep him long enough to make giving up a 2nd round pick worth it.

You should watch em more man. Their areas for improvement are O-line...maybe D-line...and QB.  At WR they need help...but they are mostly young. Chaz Shillens will be a good player...and Louis Murphy is only in his second year...he will be good. Zach Miller is an All Pro tight end. You cant say anything about their running game...cus it is SOLID. They just need a QB that can make defenses respect the pass and not simply key in on the running game.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 06:08:23 PM »
why you blame him...the team is a bust..lol
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 06:21:57 PM »
why you blame him...the team is a bust..lol

have u been payin attention man? Do you guys have any idea how big of an impact a QB playing THAT poorly can have on the ENTIRE team?  There is a reason why franchise QB's are so sought after. If you think the entire team is bad...u really need to step yah football knowledge up. Look how they played last year with just a QB like Gradkowski throwin the ball...and he's basically nothing more then a qualified back up. It was night and day with him instead of Russell. JaMarcus isnt the reason they have been bad during this whole stretch...but please believe he killed us last year.  And they have a lot of talent being wasted cus the QB play wasnt allowing the offense to stay on the field for more then 3 plays at a time.