Author Topic: Did DJ Quick co-produce either version of California Love?  (Read 1254 times)

D Breezy

Re: Did DJ Quick co-produce either version of California Love?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 05:08:53 PM »
the only connection he had to "California Love" was appearing in the Remix Video

i think quik helped mix all eyez on me if im not mistaken, that would be the only thing quik had 2 do with cali love. thats not even quiks style
Southern Cali Producer D Breezy

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqxEePe3NSCrYlYZrXzm0Pg
IG - @d_breezysounds
iTunes - https://music.apple.com/us/album/what-it-means/1591041892
Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/album/7cmg61kWV0NUZ3IqcuczoC

What It Means out now!! feat. Tash, Kokane, T.Kidd, Propain, Joel Q, Bo Roc, LBC Crew, and more

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 12:42:26 AM »
Quik helping Dre mix the song, that's awkward

Chad

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 08:41:44 AM »
suge said laylaw and some other guy did the track, and Dre heard it, and bought it off them

Do we have any reason to believe Suge on that one?

I mean, I guess it's possible that Laylaw had a cali love demo, Dre bought it, and then him Barney and Butch beefed it up into a monster.

Sidenote: who is Laylaw? I see him listed as a producer for Livin Like Hustlers, which was a classic of course... what else did he produce though?

Stay tuned....  :)
Resume: BBC / HipHopDX / TMZ / Billboard / XXL / LA Weekly / AFH // Ice Cube. MC Ren . Sir Jinx . DOC . Too Short . Fredwreck . DJ Jazzy Jeff

www.chadkiser.com
Twitter:  @chadmkiser
IG:  chadmkiser

jory

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 02:29:07 PM »
suge said laylaw and some other guy did the track, and Dre heard it, and bought it off them

If anyone did any co production on the track, then i would guess that Barney rubble did, since he is credited with Keyboard work. Although the song is just a loop of a Joe Cocker record

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=133097&id=100000154060406#!/profile.php?id=100000154060406

^^^^ laylaws facebook. scroll down to october 29th 2009. he posted a video of cali love remix 'Thought You Knew,... - FROM THE UPCOMING "LAWHOUSE GREATEST HITS" BOX SET...'
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 02:38:41 PM by jory »

jory

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 02:37:08 PM »
also cali love remix was posted on laylaws facebook on the 23rd of october with 'California Knons How To Party,... - FROM THE UPCOMING "LAWHOUSE GREATEST HITS" BOX SET...'

and on the 5th of october 'California Keeps It's Rockin' - FROM THE UPCOMING "LAWHOUSE GREATEST HITS" BOX SET...'

and the 1st of october 'Don't Get It Twisted - FROM THE UPCOMING "LAWHOUSE GREATEST HITS" BOX SET...'

and 14th of sept 'Myself & D-Maq did the remix for California Love on the day of the million man march,... FROM THE UPCOMING "LAWHOUSE GREATEST HITS" BOX SET...'

he also posted michel'le songs that i think dre got credited with.

maybe suge wasnt talking shit this time

Unforgivable by Sean John

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 04:01:04 PM »

Do we have any reason to believe Suge on that one?

I mean, I guess it's possible that Laylaw had a cali love demo, Dre bought it, and then him Barney and Butch beefed it up into a monster.

Sidenote: who is Laylaw? I see him listed as a producer for Livin Like Hustlers, which was a classic of course... what else did he produce though?

Stay tuned....  :)

so are you trying to say you have the demo of the song.... or that you know someone with it? lol.

i mean... i think this could be another example of a song where Dre bought a demo and then beefed it up into a monster. Isn't that the course that Natural Born Killaz and Keep Their Heads Ringing took? I mean, hell, Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones were sent demos during the Thriller sessions, and some of them were accepted and then fleshed out into classics (i.e. Human Nature). This isn't a new thing in music, and really shouldn't be used to discredit Dre.

Like compare the Human Nature demo to the final version (if you can find the demo). It's clear that Michael and Qunicy did as much work as the dude who wrote the OG demo (sorry forgot his name). So I'm sure plenty of songs take this path.

Wait here's another example. You go from Ain't No Fun OG (demo by Foesum), then supposedly there was another demo by Warren G and co., then there is the final version by Dre which is a classic.

V2DHeart

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »
As far as I'm aware he didn't, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out he had his hand in the production, especially of the remix.  Could be him on the talkbox?
:o 

As for this post, where did you hear said "rumors"? This smells of an attempt to start a rumor through a question to me. I apologize if that ain't the case but I've never heard of Quik producing anything for Dre before he he started Aftermath and even then, it was credited.

lol my bad if i did. I was on youtube last night and in one interview Suge was like "dre didn't produce california love'. but i would NOT take that seriously at all.

then a quick google search gave me two random threads from other boards where ppl were associating quik with the song.

This sounds NOTHING like a sneed production.

you know.. since it was written by J-Flexx... and it has Barney Rubble on the keys... it was probably created by that whole camp, so I'm gonna roll the dice and say its POSSIBLE there was a demo version with Flexx on the vocals and Barney Rubble on the beat. And then Dre and Pac turned it into the monster that it is now. For what it's worth, it reminds me of Barney's other productions (granted I have only heard like 7 (?) of his beats). But stylistically I could see him having an input in it.

J.Flexx wrote 3 of Dr Dre's verses for the original that was planned for his Chronic 2 album due for the summer of 96. Sneed did have minor keys on the original. Not the bass line, but the one note key that comes into play every so often, and the minor construction of the track. The rest, I assume (IMO) was done by J.flexx's production team. Dre was more or less forced into handing it over by Suge, but on better terms than the "You Can't See Me" track
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 08:47:48 PM »
how many different versions of this song have leaked?
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

G-Funk

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 12:39:12 AM »
how many different versions of this song have leaked?

there was a version that sounded pretty similar to the California Love (Remix). It's called "The Root of All Evil (Outro)" off WIDEawake's 'Snoop Dogg - Lost Sessions Vol. 1'
sounds like it was a leftover from Doggystyle.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 02:59:39 AM »
^different sound, same sample i assume

Matty

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 03:01:42 AM »
i posted up the Zapp & Roger remake the other day - both the OG and Remix beats are featured on it 8)

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=246601.0

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 10:48:14 AM »
As far as I'm aware he didn't, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out he had his hand in the production, especially of the remix.  Could be him on the talkbox?

As for this post, where did you hear said "rumors"? This smells of an attempt to start a rumor through a question to me. I apologize if that ain't the case but I've never heard of Quik producing anything for Dre before he he started Aftermath and even then, it was credited.

lol my bad if i did. I was on youtube last night and in one interview Suge was like "dre didn't produce california love'. but i would NOT take that seriously at all.

then a quick google search gave me two random threads from other boards where ppl were associating quik with the song.

you know.. since it was written by J-Flexx... and it has Barney Rubble on the keys... it was probably created by that whole camp, so I'm gonna roll the dice and say its POSSIBLE there was a demo version with Flexx on the vocals and Barney Rubble on the beat. And then Dre and Pac turned it into the monster that it is now. For what it's worth, it reminds me of Barney's other productions (granted I have only heard like 7 (?) of his beats). But stylistically I could see him having an input in it.

J.Flexx wrote 3 of Dr Dre's verses for the original that was planned for his Chronic 2 album due for the summer of 96. Sneed did have minor keys on the original. Not the bass line, but the one note key that comes into play every so often, and the minor construction of the track. The rest, I assume (IMO) was done by J.flexx's production team. Dre was more or less forced into handing it over by Suge, but on better terms than the "You Can't See Me" track

With Flexx's production team being Dre, and Barney Rubble?

Damn, you seem to have the inside scoop. Was there a demo version done by Laylaw?

jory

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 02:14:59 PM »

Damn, you seem to have the inside scoop. Was there a demo version done by Laylaw?

quote from laylaws facebook from the 14th of sept last year
'Myself & D-Maq did the remix for California Love on the day of the million man march,... FROM THE UPCOMING "LAWHOUSE GREATEST HITS" BOX SET...'

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »

quote from laylaws facebook from the 14th of sept last year
'Myself & D-Maq did the remix for California Love on the day of the million man march,... FROM THE UPCOMING "LAWHOUSE GREATEST HITS" BOX SET...'

on one hand i don't have any reason to believe that.... he might just be looking for attention and sales.... but if that is true it's really shady if Dre stole it. but maybe he bought it from laylaw... idk. but i somehow doubt that dre would release a song without at least touching it himself. 

Idk man hip-hop is a shady business..... idk if we'll ever really know who did what, so we should prob just let this go and enjoy the music.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 03:13:56 PM »
Can an artist/producer REALLY put out material if they aren't the ones legally credited to it?