Author Topic: Focus (Former Aftermath producer) speaks on Dr. Dre  (Read 1485 times)

Lunatic

Focus (Former Aftermath producer) speaks on Dr. Dre
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:19:04 PM »
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2947018/an_exclusive_interview_with_focus.html?cat=33

Though his name is sometimes overshadowed, his list of credits cannot be denied. Besides his years working alongside Dr. Dre, super-producer Focus... has also worked with Christina Aguilera, The Game, Busta Rhymes,

Jennifer Lopez and Marsha Ambrosius and has peacefully moved on from his Aftermath Entertainment days to pursue a musical path of his own.

Now releasing his own album called The Avant Garde Project, Focus... is experimenting with a sound outside of his famous Hip-Hop forte, a sound he hopes to be the ingredients to a future legacy of his own. And with a current song on Christina Aguilera's new album, Bionic, things seem to be working in his favor.

In this interview, Focus... talks exclusively about Dr. Dre, Busta Rhymes, The Game, Christina Aguilera, Teddy Riley, Micheal Jackson and more, and he even addresses Akon's statement on Lady Gaga versus Christina Aguilera.

The Avant Garde Project is available May 4th, 2010

Read Full Interview:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2947018/an_exclusive_interview_with_focus.html?cat=33
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Focus (Former Aftermath producer) speaks on Dr. Dre
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 06:38:40 PM »
I really think it's a stretch calling him a Super Producer, seriously I cant even think of one hit he's produced. Dukes got dope beats, but super producer is really just pushing it. Dre, Timbo, JD, Neptunes, Kanye are all super producers. They might not always make dope beats, but for a hit they've had their time of being the go to guys.

Lunch break about to finish so I'll read this interview tonight, shot bro

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »
most of his beats sound like they're missing something to take them to the next level

he's better than most but is still missing that X element
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Get It Off Ya Chest

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 07:02:06 PM »
that was actually a really cool interview. thanks for posting it :)

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 07:05:39 PM »
lol @ superproducer

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »
wait so Focus produced Get Stupid? That's cool to know. But I don't think it was really credited to Dr. Dre, I always assumed Mac Dre was just fucking around and threw Dre's name out there as a joke.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 08:06:33 PM »
Focus produced some dope shit on Bishop Lamont's "Confessional". 8)

Jaydc

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 08:12:21 PM »
most of his beats sound like they're missing something to take them to the next level

i disagree,I love his beats.Whats missing from tony yayo-live by the gun?Or stat quo-in california?or countless others..

Prof@ssor

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 08:29:33 PM »
Interesting subject.

I'm a great Focus fan myself, but i must admit he's very hit or miss. Thats the difference between producers like Focus  that people on the interwebz call better than Dre: they've never made a huge hit but at the same time made a lot of shit. Feel On It, Shine, Live by The Gun, Times Are Hard, All Falls Down etc...are certified classics beats....but after a while you hear him re-using the same drums and keys on many other songs.  :-X

Same with Dj Khalil, people ride his dick too much, lately a lot of material he's made is shit...but hell , these fans always force themselves to like it  >:(

Hate on Dre as much as you want, he rarely makes shitty tracks. Repetitive? Not creative? Boring? yes. But whack, NEVER.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 10:01:27 PM »

i disagree,I love his beats.Whats missing from tony yayo-live by the gun?Or stat quo-in california?or countless others..

I enjoy Focus's production.  He's clearly made plenty of dope beats but some of his tracks lack soul.   I don't know how to explain.  It's like I'm nodding my head along and I'm like this is dope but then it's done.  It needs more breakdowns and build ups.  If Focus went for a more anthemic sound with his beasts, I'd be feeling them more.  

Dj Khalil's production is so damn specific.  Man, I think the best of him you haven't heard yet.  His material with the new royals is fiyah.  

But, like Focus, with some of his production it doesn't lift off to the skies.  It's either somethign to do with the mixing or the arrangement.  

I prefer Dj Khalil over Focus.

edit:

but it's more like I prefer

the new royales > dj khalil solo > focus

http://www.myspace.com/chininjeti - check out the new roylaes track's

« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 10:04:01 PM by Action! »
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

TRG

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 11:43:32 PM »
Focus is dope, but i agree that some Focus productions are missing that extra something to make it "big" or whatever. and with the use of the same drums etc.

Khalil is dope as fuck.l

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 12:24:01 AM »
Interesting subject.

I'm a great Focus fan myself, but i must admit he's very hit or miss. Thats the difference between producers like Focus  that people on the interwebz call better than Dre: they've never made a huge hit but at the same time made a lot of shit. Feel On It, Shine, Live by The Gun, Times Are Hard, All Falls Down etc...are certified classics beats....but after a while you hear him re-using the same drums and keys on many other songs.  :-X

Same with Dj Khalil, people ride his dick too much, lately a lot of material he's made is shit...but hell , these fans always force themselves to like it  >:(

Hate on Dre as much as you want, he rarely makes shitty tracks. Repetitive? Not creative? Boring? yes. But whack, NEVER.

i think you meant to write simple, not boring

basefunk

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 12:41:41 AM »
Great interview, great producer, i can't hate on him, i did not know that he laced the beat for Tony Yayo's 'live by the gun'..............that beat was powerful

but i still think dj khalil is better than him

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 01:09:57 AM »
Great interview, great producer, i can't hate on him, i did not know that he laced the beat for Tony Yayo's 'live by the gun'..............that beat was powerful

but i still think dj khalil is better than him

Yup that beat is easily his best, dope on so many levels!

Him and Khalil got completely different styles, but yeah Khalil seems more innovative and his shit hits harded generally than Focus's. In saying that though, Focus' beat on the Slaughterhouse album >>>> Khalil's contributions

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 02:26:53 AM »
Focus is tha shit....makin my neighbors call the police when FEEL ON IT is in the system

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM