Author Topic: My new favorite anti Laker argument  (Read 1067 times)

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
Re: My new favorite anti Laker argument
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 12:22:32 PM »
The grizzlies was an absolute clusterfuck by the NBA.Lets face it they were terrible and for good reason.Absurd handicaps on the franchise didnt allow them to pick 1st overall even though they had the worst record in basketball for a few years straight.So instead of being able to draft Tim duncan 1st overall,they got the 4th pick and got antonio daniels who was a bust.I mean if your trying to expand into a new market and the team is terrible you would think they would allow them to be able to draft the best players but no they these absurd rules that disallowed them from having the first pick

Yet the Lakers could draft Magic back when they already had Jabbar :D Or draft Jerry West back when they already had Elgin Baylor.

Shit is not fair!
The Lakers went 25–50 before drafting West with the 2nd pick, dipshit.

LOL stop getting provoked so easily.
How have they went before drafting Magic with the 1st pick? :D
Lakers have always had great management. They mastered trades for picks, and the Lakers have made the most of the late draft. Too bad other franchises don't run like the Lakers.

lol its not JUST about how they are run. The Spurs are run just as well...but agents will tell their clients to go to LA before San Antonio or anywhere really. The media exposure, celebrity atmosphere...etc makes it far more desireable for bigtime players. San Antonio has been amazing in the draft for the fact that they typically dont get picks anywhere in the first half of rounds (except Duncan). Its free agency where LA has the big advantage. Whats the last draft pick the Lakers have had that was really amazing? Kobe?
The Lakers didn't draft Kobe and they have had only one high draft pick (higher then #19th pick) in the last 15 years.

Lower round picks in the last 15: Fisher (#24), Devean George (#23), Walton (#32), and M. Gasol (#48).

I know they didnt draft him. I wasnt saying that they did. But they traded for him immediately. which is essentially the same thing as trading for the pick..and drafting him. Regardless my point was that it isnt the draft so much where they have done well. Its with free agency, etc.
Well if you look at their current roster, Artest is the only one of any significance that was picked up via free agency. Bryant, Gasol, Odom, and Brown were traded for. Fisher, Bynum, Walton, Farmar, and Vujacic were drafted.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 12:38:15 PM »
The grizzlies was an absolute clusterfuck by the NBA.Lets face it they were terrible and for good reason.Absurd handicaps on the franchise didnt allow them to pick 1st overall even though they had the worst record in basketball for a few years straight.So instead of being able to draft Tim duncan 1st overall,they got the 4th pick and got antonio daniels who was a bust.I mean if your trying to expand into a new market and the team is terrible you would think they would allow them to be able to draft the best players but no they these absurd rules that disallowed them from having the first pick

Yet the Lakers could draft Magic back when they already had Jabbar :D Or draft Jerry West back when they already had Elgin Baylor.

Shit is not fair!

Lakers have always had great management. They mastered trades for picks, and the Lakers have made the most of the late draft. Too bad other franchises don't run like the Lakers.

lol its not JUST about how they are run. The Spurs are run just as well...but agents will tell their clients to go to LA before San Antonio or anywhere really. The media exposure, celebrity atmosphere...etc makes it far more desireable for bigtime players. San Antonio has been amazing in the draft for the fact that they typically dont get picks anywhere in the first half of rounds (except Duncan). Its free agency where LA has the big advantage. Whats the last draft pick the Lakers have had that was really amazing? Kobe?
The Lakers didn't draft Kobe and they have had only one high draft pick (higher then #19th pick) in the last 15 years.

Lower round picks in the last 15: Fisher (#24), Devean George (#23), Walton (#32), and M. Gasol (#48).

I know they didnt draft him. I wasnt saying that they did. But they traded for him immediately. which is essentially the same thing as trading for the pick..and drafting him. Regardless my point was that it isnt the draft so much where they have done well. Its with free agency, etc.
Well if you look at their current roster, Artest is the only one of any significance that was picked up via free agency. Bryant, Gasol, Odom, and Brown were traded for. Fisher, Bynum, Walton, Farmar, and Vujacic were drafted.

thus the "etc".

And Im not only referring to this current Laker squad but Laker squads of the last decade. The current Laker squad hasnt gotten shit from the draft. Bynum is ok when he can stay on the floor. But he is too early in his career to even judge with the time he has missed. Shaquille O'neal, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, etc...all high profile free agents joining the Lakers. Im not sure why youre arguin with me, maybe you think Im dissin the lakers lol. Im just pointing out that the draft isnt where they have really made things happen like M-Dogg was sayin.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 12:45:16 PM »

Shit is not fair!

thus the "etc".

And Im not only referring to this current Laker squad but Laker squads of the last decade. The current Laker squad hasnt gotten shit from the draft. Bynum is ok when he can stay on the floor. But he is too early in his career to even judge with the time he has missed. Shaquille O'neal, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, etc...all high profile free agents joining the Lakers. Im not sure why youre arguin with me, maybe you think Im dissin the lakers lol. Im just pointing out that the draft isnt where they have really made things happen like M-Dogg was sayin.
Malone and Payton came to the Lakers so they can have a shot with a contender, not because of L.A.'s atmosphere. Shaq is the only won who did that recently.

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 01:03:20 PM »

Shit is not fair!

thus the "etc".

Malone and Payton came to the Lakers so they can have a shot with a contender, not because of L.A.'s atmosphere. Shaq is the only won who did that recently.

Youre arguing just to argue at this point.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »

Shit is not fair!

thus the "etc".

I think though the Lakers are much better at trades than free agency. They traded for Kobe, they traded for Gasol. The biggest free agents they have signed have been Shaq, Payton and Malone for a year, and Ron Artest. But LA is much better at trades to gain key players and drafting their role players.

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 08:52:49 PM »

Shit is not fair!

thus the "etc".

The biggest free agents they have signed have been Shaq, Payton and Malone for a year, and Ron Artest. But LA is much better at trades to gain key players and drafting their role players.

those are the best players you guys have had over the last decade not named Kobe tho man. You can say Gasol is better than Artest, but he is in no way better then any of those other players. Anyways, its irrelevant.  My point was only that the draft isnt where the Lakers excel. They got lucky in a trade for Gasol that worked out bigtime in their favor. And took a gamble on Kobe which did pay off obviously. But it wasnt a real genius decision...there was no point in keeping Divac at that point and the Hornets just happened to take him.  Kobe wasnt considered a sure thing as an all time great at that point, obviously. He was drafted 13th and traded for an aging Divac.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »
I don't think Kobe would have ended up on the Lakers if he wasn't a dick who denied to play for any other team... so you can't exactly give their "awesome management" any credit for this.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 06:09:34 PM »
Celtic fans have been posting on the LA Times lately that the Laker's first 5 title's don't count because they happened in Minneapolis. LOL. Growing up in California, we always counted those titles, and then when I moved to Minnesota, they don't count those titles to the T-Wolve. In Staples Center, they have a banner honoring those great Lakers team, in Minneapolis they have a statue of George Mikan but no banners honoring the Minneapolis Lakers, but no banners. So my conclusion is that the Lakers titles belong to the Lakers, and not Minneapolis.

17 titles to 15 titles.

of course they still count. They were still the Lakers. Now if they changed their name that might be a different story. Browns/Ravens comes to mind.
I heard from fellow ravens fans that the nfl somehow act like the colts were never in baltimore & won their 1st sb in indy & that never happened.  But its really stupid that some people still wanna act like the ravens are the old cleveland browns still, when the 1st ravens team was out, only 13 players was left from the 1995 clowns team.  Matt Stover was the last member of that team until he was released.  The current clowns team just sucks & don't draft good.  Nobody calls the Yankees the old baltimore orioles, & they were.  Might explain why there's mainly yankees fans at orioles games.  And nobody once called the current baltimore orioles the old st. louis browns, & they were. 

L.A. still won a SB with the raiders.