Author Topic: Ken Griffey Jr. Retires  (Read 475 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Ken Griffey Jr. Retires
« on: June 02, 2010, 05:00:15 PM »
SEATTLE -- Seattle Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu says Ken Griffey Jr. is retiring.

Wakamatsu made the announcement before Wednesday night's game against Minnesota. Griffey's retirement is effective immediately.

The 40-year-old Griffey was one of baseball's greatest players before injuries began to take their toll. The perennial All-Star outfielder ranks fifth on the career home run list with 630.

Griffey was hitting only .184 this season and recently went a week without playing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5244661

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Ken Griffey Jr. Retires
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »
the cleanest one of them all.

injuries stopped him from probably passing the mark Barry Bonds set.

one of my favorites & sure fire first ballot. 8)

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:33:26 PM »

yeah i feel  that

plus the ken griffey game for N64 was the shiiiiiiiit!!!

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »
bout time right....he wasnt doin anythin anyway right?
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:49:30 PM »
a few years too late, imo...regardless, one of the best.  "what could have been....."

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 07:51:07 PM »
still denyin it and manager co-signed his denial

and wasnt he sleeping when the Ms needed him to pinch hit?  or is he still denying that? 
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

theremedy360

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 09:02:30 PM »
Damn, I remember being a little kid going to the Kingdome watching Griffey play. I was in 5th grade when they traded him and couldn't believe it. Even though he was far removed from his prime when he came back I'm still glad he came back and helped loosen up the locker room. One of the greatest of all time and the man who saved baseball in the Northwest. Even though it's good he's retiring it's still sad to see one of my childhood heroes hang it up.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 09:04:16 PM by TheRemedy360 (back from the dead) »

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 09:48:44 PM »

yeah i feel  that

I still have that game, I should hook my n64 and play it lol.

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 10:58:56 PM »

yeah i feel  that

I still have that game, I should hook my n64 and play it lol.

i would sit there do trades it was so fun

Geesta

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 04:40:08 AM »
he was my favorite player when i played minors in like 3rd grade

but after 99 i forgot all about the dude

baseball was never one of my favorite sports to watch but Griffey always made it fun to watch and play
he was one of my favorites growing up

atleast his records legit also...

Ken Griffey Jr > your favorite baseball player (except maybe Mo Vaughn)

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 10:44:10 AM »
Easily one of the all time greatest players. The first half of his career before the injuries started, you could have easily made the case of him being one of the top 3 or 4 players ever. I dont think in my lifetime Ive seen a more all around great player then him (again, before the injuries). Without the injuries he would have surpassed Aarons HR record. He missed what...over 2 seasons worth of games due to injury. He should been on the HGH too lol. Playing in Seattle fucked his legs. At least now he wont get bashed for taking naps...
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 12:29:21 PM »
my only problem is what how do you just say injuries fucked him; but that's his fault for getting them.

a part of the game is being healthy; i would speculate myself & say he would of broken all types of records & shit.

but i can't give him credit like it was a no-brainer that he would of done it.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 12:44:12 PM »
my only problem is what how do you just say injuries fucked him; but that's his fault for getting them.

a part of the game is being healthy; i would speculate myself & say he would of broken all types of records & shit.

but you can still give him credit for he did on the field.  Staying healthy is part of the game sure. He WAS unfortunate to be a ridiculously athletic player who played hard....on concrete in Seattle. Im sure that did something to his legs causing all of those injuries later in his career. You cant use his injuries for the record books...but you can still recognize how amazing he was the first 12 years or so before the injuries really kicked in. I cant see an argument for a better player during that time. Only Bonds is close, but he wasnt the all around player that Griffey was. And then theres the roids. During that time, it was tough to find any holes in Griffeys game. Its like Bo Jackson, yeah he isnt in the record books as far as overall numbers. But you can still imagine what he WOULD have done to them. He was RIDICULOUS and regarded by many as the greatest athlete of all time.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

theremedy360

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 12:52:55 PM »

Fair point, but a lot of the injuries were due to him attempting amazing plays on the field, one of the aspects of his game that made him so special, can't deny that he could have done a better job at taking less risks to add longevity to his career though.

Easily one of the all time greatest players. The first half of his career before the injuries started, you could have easily made the case of him being one of the top 3 or 4 players ever. I dont think in my lifetime Ive seen a more all around great player then him (again, before the injuries). Without the injuries he would have surpassed Aarons HR record. He missed what...over 2 seasons worth of games due to injury. He should been on the HGH too lol. Playing in Seattle fucked his legs. At least now he wont get bashed for taking naps...

Actually, the majority of his injuries in Seattle were in his upper body. Although he did miss a significant amount of time dealing with some of them he'd still come back and put up unbelievable numbers. The leg injuries didn't really start happening frequently until he was on Cincinnati, there was a real decline in his body in those injury plagued years.

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 01:00:16 PM »

Fair point, but a lot of the injuries were due to him attempting amazing plays on the field, one of the aspects of his game that made him so special, can't deny that he could have done a better job at taking less risks to add longevity to his career though.

Actually, the majority of his injuries in Seattle were in his upper body. Although he did miss a significant amount of time dealing with some of them he'd still come back and put up unbelievable numbers. The leg injuries didn't really start happening frequently until he was on Cincinnati, there was a real decline in his body in those injury plagued years.

exactly. But the lower leg injuries had to come from somewhere. I think from the years of playing on that turf in Seattle. If he would have been the Cecil Fielder type instead...his legs probably wouldnt have become so jacked later in his career from those years of abuse.