Author Topic: Top 10 most important Albums  (Read 470 times)

mackinoz

• Lil Geezy
Top 10 most important Albums
« on: June 07, 2010, 11:08:08 PM »
saw this idea on facebook.
What are your top 10 (most important) albums of your life (in any order), can be any genre. for example i pretty much only listen to hip hop, but my list isnt just full of great hip hop albums.
what are they and why they are in your top ten.

1  Eminem- The Marshal Mather LP
First ever rap cd i brought other than Nelly Country Grammer.
the first song i heard was Stan on the radio and i absolutely hated it and at the time i listened to mostly punk rock, and thought wtf has happened to music.
but by the time i heard it through i went straight out and brought the album.
this album made me a fan of hip hop.

2 Oasis- Whats The Story Morning Glory
First CD i ever brought, when i was 5 or 6 and still listen to it today on a sunday morning with a hangover.
love every song on this cd

3 28 Days- Upstyledown
a rap/rock group from Australia, probably what introduced me to liking hip hop, since i thought this was just normal rock when i first used to listen to it
still listen to it 10 years on and reminds me of when i first put it in the cd player.

4 Snoop Doggy Dogg- Doggystyle
Absolute classic album, the only snoop dogg album i listen to any more.
brought it when i was about 14 and everytime i listen to it, i feel like im 14 again.

5 Biggie- Ready to Die
Nothing but a Classic, only album i listened to for a whole summer when i first brought it.
at a time when i was a young 2pac fan, hearing how good this album was really changed my perspective.

6 2pac- Me Agaisnt the World
from top to bottom, every song is amazing. the 2pac album i listen to the most front to back.
All eyes on me was too up and down for me, even though the good 90% is classic, it is just hard to listen to some times.

7 Blink 182- Dude Ranch
Classic punk rock album i listened to as a kid and still enjoy now.

8 Mobb Deep- Tha Infamous
got me into East coast Hip Hop when all i had been listening to for 5 years was West Coast.
classic album and so dark.

9 Eminem- The Eminem Show
Brought it the first day it came out, and played it ever since.
was NO WHERE near as good as SSLP or MMLP but still a solid album, and came out when i was really getting into eminem so its a classic to me.

10 Bishop Lamont- N***a Noise
Not a "real" album, but a classic to me, bishops other mixtapes never really stoop out as much.

Theres a few more id like to add like Kanye West - Graduation, Shwayze's Debut album, illmatic etc. but those albums have been the most important to me growing up

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Top 10 most important Albums
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 01:52:50 PM »

was NO WHERE near as good as SSLP or MMLP but still a solid album, and came out when i was really getting into eminem so its a classic to me.

Not talking about you, but just in general...

It bothers me when people say that SSLP was better than Eminem Show, because I remember when SSLP came out back in Feb. 99' EVERYONE WAS HATING ON IT.  I used to go to the Bodyrott Eminem forum back in 99, and this was a forum FOR EMINEM FANS, and even on his own fucking forum everybody was hating on him and hating on that album.

I was one of the only people back then that supported Eminem from the start, and never hated on him back in the day.  For most people it wasn't until "Forgot About Dre" came out that Eminem began to get respect, and that's from the mainstream to the hardcore hip-hop fans.

By the time Eminem Show came out a lot of rap fans would then admit that he was the best rapper out, but then they wanted to go back on their words and say that the Slim Shady LP was better.  As if that makes them sound like they were more serious fans or something.  

But call a spade a spade, even Eminem says in interviews that his first 3 albums represented a progression in his abilities as an artist and producer and Eminem himself would not tell you that the SSLP album was better than the Eminem Show.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 02:03:43 PM »
1.  Lucky Dube- Serious Reggae Bussiness-    
The best collection of the late great African reggae artists best songs.  

2.  Eminem-  8 Mile-  
Eminem's best song "8 Mile Road" and Eminem's second best song "Lose Yourself".

3.  Nas- God's Son-  
"Dance"- is one of the most touching tracks I ever heard, and this is Nas most heartfelt album, deeply emotional

4.  Lucky Dube- The Way It Is-  
Songs like "Rolling Stone", "Man in the Mirror", "Crying Games", "Way It Is" are timeless

5.  Phil Collins-  Greatest Hits-  
Phil Collins is the truth, his music is like the evergreen, good for all times, places and ages

6.  Cindy Lauper-  Greatest Hits-  
Nothing is 80's like Cindy Lauper, this album represents my earliest memories of being alive.

7.  Lucky Dube-  Victims-  
"Lovers In A Dangerous Time" is the best love song ever, and "Johnny" is also a classic for me.

8.  Crucial Conflict-  Final Tic-  
This album isn't the greatest piece of art, it's kind of a novelty record, but it came out during the most volatile period of my life, and represents so many memories and emotions for me, also "Hay" is the best smokin song ever

9.  The Show- Soundtrack-  
Came out during the happiest time of my teenage years and was my soundtrack to the summer 1996 when hip-hop had reached it's climax and before 2pac died

10.  Lucky Dube-  Tax Man-  
"Kiss No Frog" and "Mirror Mirror" are two of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, remind me of my first trip to Africa
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:08:17 PM by Infinite... Be and It Is »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Bananas

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 02:08:30 PM »
7 Blink 182- Dude Ranch

Blink 182 isnt a punk group, that shouldnt take away the experience for you, but don't put those guys in the same vein as say 45 grave, dead kennedys, etc.....

westsiderider323

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »
1. Big Pun - Capital Punishment
this is a classic has everything from lyrics to beats everything best rap album imo plus he latino and he was holdin down for us

2. Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
west coast classic gotta love the vibe g shit first rapper ive ever listened to

3. The Game - The Documentary
when this dropped i became even more proud to be from LA and when in Houston i would always say hell yea im from the west coast fuck you

4. Eminem - The Slim Shady LP
lyrics lyrics lyrics eminem is so fuckin raw on this everything on this album is fuckin awesome

5. System Of A Down - Toxicity
dopest SOAD album ever i was in 4th grade i heard chop suey and ever since i heard that i became a huge system of a down fan (even tho the drummer looks like lights) also theyre from LA thats what made me like them more

6. DJ Quik - Rhythm-al-ism
my first rap cd ever this shit is soooooo smooth you can just chill outside on a hot summer LA day and bump this

7. Tupac - Me Against The World
my favorite tupac album has the best tracks out of all of his other albums

8. Slipknot - Iowa
crazy raw as fuck shit this shit gets my adrenaline goin crazy guitars joey's drumming gets the blood goin (RIP Paul Grey)

9. Three 6 Mafia - Chapter 1: The End
after listenin to wheres da bud i instantly became a triple 6 fan i heard the rest of the album my mind was blown away

10. NWA - Straight Outta Compton
again west coast pride if it wasnt for them your favorite rapper would not be sayin fuck the police

honorable mention: Tha Dogg Pound - Dogg Food, Chamillionaire - The Sound Of Revenge, DJ Screw - 3 N The Morning, Dr. Dre - The Chronic
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 02:29:21 PM by Don Blunt Tyme Corleone wipes his ass with a celtrick jersey »

Bananas

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 02:38:55 PM »
John Williams - Jurassic Park OST
I was 8 years old. This movie was fucking HUGE. The soundtrack at no point was less than masterful epic win status. It was also one of the first cd's I owned. It changed my outlook on life as it became the soundtrack to my daily grind.

Wu Tang - 36 Chambers
Lo-fi analog, danger, kung fu, alcohol, drugs, torture, soul records, odb. All this dropped on my young pubescent mind at once in the form of this album. It ruined my life and made me the savage I am (or was).

Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction
The 80's hard rock equivalent to 36 Chambers, but with actual music talent! So fucking epic.

DJ Quik - Rhythm-al-ism
Not discovered in entirety until 2005, it gave me hope for hip hop at the height of "laffy taffy", without being all sample based white people backpacker preachy "we are real hip hop". it was fly, baller, and intelligent with wonderful dynamic production.

Metallica - The Black Album
You are 15, in the locker room before a major football game. What cd do you throw on? 2001 was popular at the time still, but no. rap music will not do. you fucking pop in that metallica and psyche yourself up to levels of energy though unattainable. After the game, you go smoke, party, and bash mailboxes to the same album. Testosterone in it's finest form.

Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
So I really liked 36 chambers, but it got old, thats when this ditty came in to my life. It still had all the soul records, violence, paranoia etc that the wu had, but in a "take it in stride" chilled out format. It helped settle me down a little, plus great memories were had to this album while traveling to DC for the first time in early december. This album fit the scenery perfectly.

Mozart - The Very Best of Mozart
Who can fuck with mozart? I would fuck to his music because I am the man like that and I can pull it off. This definitely isn't for a lot of young people, you probably need more stimulation for your buzzing underdeveloped brains, but when you reach the point where you can really enjoy this music, it's a great feeling, and thats what mozart provides for me.

Black Rob - Life Story
It was like 36 chambers and reasonable doubt thrown in to one with extra mafia vibes! a girl i had a crush on had this in her beamer, we would cruise at night listening to it. she was from a big italian family that held prominence in the area, it felt right. good times to this.

Steel Panther - Feel the Steel
You might not know about this. If you are a) not a pussy, b) have a sense of humor: youtube songs from this album immediately or i will skull fuck you!

Nino Rota - The Godfather OST
While most of my peers and myself included were at the time listening to metal or rap, this stood out for me and took me in a very different direction. It encompassed the darkness and the light from the film, distinctly italian, instantly recognizable. I had cuts from this album in mixtapes backed with black rob, biggie, jayz, and shit was so right. if you dont like the godfather or the original score, fuck you.

westsiderider323

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 03:18:40 PM »
Nino Rota - The Godfather OST
While most of my peers and myself included were at the time listening to metal or rap, this stood out for me and took me in a very different direction. It encompassed the darkness and the light from the film, distinctly italian, instantly recognizable. I had cuts from this album in mixtapes backed with black rob, biggie, jayz, and shit was so right. if you dont like the godfather or the original score, fuck you.

yessir got that nino rota  8) people just dont know

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 03:29:33 PM »
makaveli
all eyez
me against the world
thug life
2pacalypse
slaughterhouse
liquid swords
doggystyle
chronic
illmatic

all these albums have quality raps on em and dopeass beats
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 03:37:01 PM by Hans Moleman »
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

mackinoz

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 12:05:19 AM »
7 Blink 182- Dude Ranch

Blink 182 isnt a punk group, that shouldnt take away the experience for you, but don't put those guys in the same vein as say 45 grave, dead kennedys, etc.....

sorry, i meant punk as in 90's pop/punk.
they're probably the only group in that genre that are really any good pre-2000's of course.

Jaydc

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 03:02:10 AM »
Wow,cool thread,I hope nobody comes in hear and starts trashing everyones picks that would ruin it but it will probably happen anyway.Props on some of the choices above me,props to bananas on black rob,dude is criminally slept on.and whos fuck with mozart?well...

Beethoven - the very best of beethoven - The piano will always be my favourite instrument,theirs something so soulful about it,it touches my soul when its played beautifully.The first time I heard moonlight sonota I must have played it on repeat for a few hours.Easily my favourite piece of music in any genre

Makavelli - the 7 day theory - 2pac really stepped everything up on this album,he seemed to get stronger every album.Blasphemy and krazy are probably my two favourite pac songs of all time,with white manz world not far behind it.I used to just zone out to this album every day the year it came out.

Chevelle - Wonder whats next - Some people say the vocals sound too much like tool but after 5 albums I think theyve really carved out their own identity.The cryptic lyrics and great riffs on every track had me hooked immediately.And when every song goes into screaming mode I cant help but get amped.

Nas - Illmatic - To me,its the greatest hip hop album of all time,its a masterpiece.It introduced me to hip hop basically.

Johnny Cash - Greatest Hits - I hated country with a passion until I heard cash.To this day hes still the only country artist I truely love.For my money hes the greatest story teller of all time in music.I can remember where I was for every song I had heard.His remake of nine inch nails hurt is one of the most somber,beautiful songs Ive ever heard.

Soundgarden - superunknown - Black hole sun introduced me to chris cornell and I never looked back.His vocals are so unique and powerful.This album contains so many of my favourite songs,fell on black days,4th of july etc.I love all their albums and subequently the audioslave albums and his solos,as well the temple of dog project.but this album is a classic and i still listen to it daily.Good music puts you in a mood and brings with it great memories,enhances the moment.

Bob Dylan - Greatest hits - The artist I was named after,truely one of the greatest writers of all time.I wrote greatest hits as a generic album to put because hes got so many great album its hard for me to pin point just one.

Joe Budden - Mood Muzik 2 - before I listened to this work I didnt give a shit about joe budden,in fact I disliked him.Pump it up was horrible to me and he seemed to just be another run of the mill club artist.But from this point on he got all my attention with ability to just bare his whole soul onto tracks for anyone to judge.The first time I heard whatever it takes I remember to this day because thats the song that made me listen to mood muzik 2.Hate him or love him,he seems to evoke emotion in people in a day where so many artists are just kind of there and nobody cares about them one wya or another.

Mobb Deep - the infamous - this album embodied 90s grimey new york hip hop.Anytime Im driving on a dark rainy night I cant help but throw this album on and just sit back and be amazing at prodigys slick rhymes and havocs dark menacing production.Anyone who cant feel this album has soemthing wrong with them lol

Cee-lo Green - is the soul machine - One of my favourite artists of all time.To me,hes everything that andre 3000 tries to be on the singing tip.his vocals are old school and new all at once with such a unique style.His raps are equally as impressive.This album gets play from me constantly.

Rass Kass - Soul On ice - This kind of album was almost unheard of from a westcoast artist,sure the production was a bit lacking content and lyrics wise,kass was miles ahead of anybody in the game.Its a shame he went the generic gangsta rap method alter on,but this album is amazing.

doggfather

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 03:09:12 AM »
I will do my list to, but, I don't think that any compitalion could be important albums.

It is what it is, a collection of tracks, from other albums. In my oppinion it could not be ALBUM.

BUT this is just what i think!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

The Watcher

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 03:38:43 AM »

Not talking about you, but just in general...

It bothers me when people say that SSLP was better than Eminem Show, because I remember when SSLP came out back in Feb. 99' EVERYONE WAS HATING ON IT.  I used to go to the Bodyrott Eminem forum back in 99, and this was a forum FOR EMINEM FANS, and even on his own fucking forum everybody was hating on him and hating on that album.

I was one of the only people back then that supported Eminem from the start, and never hated on him back in the day.  For most people it wasn't until "Forgot About Dre" came out that Eminem began to get respect, and that's from the mainstream to the hardcore hip-hop fans.

By the time Eminem Show came out a lot of rap fans would then admit that he was the best rapper out, but then they wanted to go back on their words and say that the Slim Shady LP was better.  As if that makes them sound like they were more serious fans or something. 

But call a spade a spade, even Eminem says in interviews that his first 3 albums represented a progression in his abilities as an artist and producer and Eminem himself would not tell you that the SSLP album was better than the Eminem Show.

i was an admin and bodyrott's and even controlled the move to the new forum and i dont remember it like that at all. i picked up the SSLP the day it came out and found that site the same day after looking for some leftovers and it was getting nothing but praise to the point where alot of the fans were just in general dick riding
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

The Watcher

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 03:42:03 AM »
the slim shady lp
the marshall mathers lp
36 chambers
doggystyle
the chronic
reasonable doubt
ready to die
metallica- the black album
me against the world

all from a time period in my life where i have alot of good memories where these albums were playing in the background
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Beatzz

• 'G'
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 08:12:50 AM »
1.Beastie Boys - Licensed To Ill
2. Metallica - The Black Album
3. Gang Starr - Hard To Earn
4. Green Day - Dookie
5. Sublime - Sublime
6. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
7. Dr. Dre - 2001
8. John Lee Hooker- Anthology
9. Bruce Springsteen - Devils & Dust
10. Bob Marley - Legend (Best Of Collection)

Blood$

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 09:35:30 AM »
Dr. Dre - 2001
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
50 Cent - Get Rich Or Die Tryin'
The Game - The Documentary
2Pac - All Eyez On Me
Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death/Ready To Die - can't choose one, RTD was the first unedited CD I ever bought and LAD just brings back memories
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Nas - It Was Written
Brotha Lynch Hung - Season Of Da Siccness