Author Topic: Celtics to sign center Jermaine O'Neal  (Read 442 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Celtics to sign center Jermaine O'Neal
« on: July 08, 2010, 10:02:16 PM »
He's got his team back.
"We're the Eastern Conference champions," Ainge said Thursday. "And we think we're going to be better next year."
Ainge confirmed that the Celtics have agreements in place with Paul Pierce and Ray Allen that would keep Boston's new Big Three intact for a run at a third NBA finals in four years. Ainge also said he expects to sign free agent center Jermaine O'Neal to fill in while center Kendrick Perkins recovers from knee surgery.
"We intend to sign him," Ainge said. "Our priorities to start the offseason were obviously Paul, Ray, and to strengthen our center position in light of Perk's injury. Hopefully by tomorrow we'll have these things taken care of and then we can continue working."
Speaking after a summer league game in Orlando, Fla., a few hours before LeBron James announced he would sign with the Miami Heat, Ainge told reporters that he thinks Boston remains the team to beat in the East regardless of the reigning NBA MVP's decision. By joining Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade in Miami, James created a threesome that is perhaps even more daunting than the one Boston assembled in 2007 en route to a record 17th NBA title.
"I have a great deal of respect for all those guys -- all the top-notch free agents," Ainge said. "Whatever happens, I know that it's going to be a challenge. The East is going to be stronger. But I think everybody that's worth their salt thinks they can beat somebody."
Part of the reason for optimism could be the fact that the Cavaliers, who had the best record in the NBA last season, are no longer a threat without James. (Even with him, Cleveland lost to the Celtics in the playoffs in two of the past three seasons.)
"There's a lot of franchises that are going to be changed for a long time," Ainge said, "for the better and for the worse."
And that's why the Celtics are happy to make another run with the core of the team that won one title and came within four points of another, losing to the Los Angeles Lakers 83-79 in Game 7.
"How the team played in the playoffs is definitely a sign that they have a lot of basketball left in them," Ainge said, noting that Perkins was injured in Game 6 and missed the finale. "I was very encouraged with what I saw from this team. The overall play of defense and rebounding showed me how much our guys do have left."
Pierce agreed last week to a four-year deal worth about $61 million, and Allen agreed on Wednesday to a two-year deal worth $20 million. O'Neal's contract is reportedly for the midlevel exception, about $5.76 million in the first year of a two-year deal.
Kevin Garnett, the other member of the new Big Three that led the Celtics to their record 17th NBA title in 2008, is under contract for two more years, and emerging star Rajon Rondo is locked up through 2014-15. Coach Doc Rivers also put off a long-debated sabbatical to keep the team together.
"Paul, I don't think he ever looked at another team. I think Paul was 100 percent coming back to Boston," Ainge said. "He did a lot just by restructuring his contract to allow us to bring the rest of the team back."
Ainge said Perkins tore his ACL and also injured the MCL and PCL; he could miss half the season or more. Surgery is scheduled for Monday, having been postponed at least twice to allow the swelling to go down and give him a chance to strengthen the muscles in his leg before the operation.
With Perkins on rehab, and backup Rasheed Wallace vowing to retire, the Celtics were in need of big men.
A six-time All-Star, O'Neal has averaged 14 points and 7.5 rebounds in a 14-year career for Portland, Indiana, Toronto and Miami. With the Heat last year, he averaged 13.6 points and 6.9 rebounds in 28 minutes.
Remaining on Ainge's list of potential free agents are re-signing longtime Celtics bench player Tony Allen and midseason acquisition Nate Robinson.
"We're trying to fill our roster in. Once we get this taken care of the next couple of days, then we'll start working on the next group of guys," Ainge said. We like Nate and Tony. I'm sure they're still looking at the market, too, because the market's pretty crazy right now. So we'll be patient and look at other options as well in case they go in another direction."
Copyright 2010 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/07/08/celtics.oneal.ap/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0t9shIhQk

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/07/08/celtics.oneal.ap/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0t9sTMXm6

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Celtics to sign center Jermaine O'Neal
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 10:04:51 PM »
Perkins is gone 'til Febuary; so I guess if JO can give some solid help until then, it's a cool move.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 10:17:31 PM »
Perkins is gone 'til Febuary; so I guess if JO can give some solid help until then, it's a cool move.

Bigger impact will be the playoffs when the Celtics can get as big as the Lakers, though they were as big as the Lakers last time. O'Neal is a great replacement for Wallace, and I don't see Miami having the size to match up with Boston in the playoffs. Pierce can guard LeBron and Rondo on Wade will be tough to call. But Bosh can't compete with Perkins, Big Baby, KG and now O'Neal by himself. This move was a good move by Boston.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 10:20:08 PM »
^LOL, how will Miami match-up? By blowing them out by 30 points with two of the best players in the league.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »
^LOL, how will Miami match-up? By blowing them out by 30 points with two of the best players in the league.

What the last 3 finals have taught us is that it's all about match ups. In 2008, everyone had the Lakers beating the Celtics, but Doc Rivers exposed match ups and the Celtics beat the Lakers. In 2009, the Lakers had the match ups over the Magic. And in 2010, the two teams matched up even and it went 7 games. Now you have a Miami big three to challenge the Boston big 3 for the east. But unless they get big up front, look for a very physical Boston team to beat the Miami team. Big Baby, O'Neal, KG, Perkins, that's a huge front line. See 2008 when Gasol was out numbered by Boston, then look at 2011 when the same thing happens to Bosh. And don't act like Pierce and Rondo can't hang with Lebron and Rondo.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 11:01:01 PM »
^LOL, but you don't match-up with LeBron & Wade.

If you played the Cavs in the Finals, you would have double teamed Bron; if you played the Heat (somehow), you would of double teamed Wade.

You can't double team both of them at the same time; or try to & Mike Miller is open; or focus on them to the point you lose track of Bosh.

You're acting like the Lakers can just man to man, guard up on LeBron & Wade at the same time; you could barely handle Pierce & Allen lol.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 11:04:51 PM »

What the last 3 finals have taught us is that it's all about match ups. In 2008, everyone had the Lakers beating the Celtics, but Doc Rivers exposed match ups and the Celtics beat the Lakers. In 2009, the Lakers had the match ups over the Magic. And in 2010, the two teams matched up even and it went 7 games. Now you have a Miami big three to challenge the Boston big 3 for the east. But unless they get big up front, look for a very physical Boston team to beat the Miami team. Big Baby, O'Neal, KG, Perkins, that's a huge front line. See 2008 when Gasol was out numbered by Boston, then look at 2011 when the same thing happens to Bosh. And don't act like Pierce and Rondo can't hang with Lebron and Rondo.

huh?

i assume you mean lebron and wade

as the resident Celtic fan even I am not going to say PP and Rajon can hold their own in a 7 game series

a game yes

but 7 games?? jesus nobody can stop that tandem for 7 games
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 11:18:15 PM »
^LOL, but you don't match-up with LeBron & Wade.

If you played the Cavs in the Finals, you would have double teamed Bron; if you played the Heat (somehow), you would of double teamed Wade.

You can't double team both of them at the same time; or try to & Mike Miller is open; or focus on them to the point you lose track of Bosh.

You're acting like the Lakers can just man to man, guard up on LeBron & Wade at the same time; you could barely handle Pierce & Allen lol.

Miller can't be on the floor the same time as Wade and LeBron, well unless Wade goes point, so we'll see.

huh?

i assume you mean lebron and wade

as the resident Celtic fan even I am not going to say PP and Rajon can hold their own in a 7 game series

a game yes

but 7 games?? jesus nobody can stop that tandem for 7 games

I think they can hang enough. Not saying it's going to be an even match up, but in a 7 game series, you know and I know you have to do enough so that your teammates can help win. Boston showed me one thing, they can play aggressive, very dirty defense. It will be a great match up, but to hold a Laker team that was the highest scoring team in the league to under 100 points in all but one game is out right scary.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 10:20:15 AM »
sorry, pierce at his age is a JOKE compared to lebron or wade. stop dreaming M dogg, the lakers aint winning shit until wade retires
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 10:48:05 AM »
Yeah I wouldnt just give the title to Cleveland yet. But they are obviously the favorites. Look at the Lakers with their HOF roster they tried to create. They got smoked by the Pistons lol. A team with not one HOF'er on it.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

theremedy360

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 10:54:26 AM »
Yeah I wouldnt just give the title to Cleveland yet. But they are obviously the favorites. Look at the Lakers with their HOF roster they tried to create. They got smoked by the Pistons lol. A team with not one HOF'er on it.

You mean Miami? They're much different than that Lakers team. For one, LeBron, Bosh, and Wade are have been friends for a while. When the Lakers put that team together Kobe and Shaq had been having issues for years and there was all that shit going around about Malone trying to get with Kobe's wife. Not to mention the enormous age gap on the team and the distraction of Kobe's sexual assault accusation. Plus Malone and Payton (although still effective) were out of their prime. I don't see the Heat winning this year and I agree that just adding big names isn't always the answer, but I don't really think the situations are that comparable.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 10:59:23 AM »
Guys, remember: The Celtics were nothing before Garnett/Allen came. The Heat made the playoffs last year with a decent seed.

Garnett, Pierce, Allen - all out of their prime.
Rondo? Not nearly as good as he is now.
Eddie House? Not nearly as good as Mike Miller.
If Z joins the Heat, they also have a true Center.
Now they just need a good defender who takes charges and makes opponents want to chop his head off, and they are good to go.
They don't need a great PG because James is a terrific ball handler / passer.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 11:01:53 AM »
Yeah I wouldnt just give the title to Cleveland Miami yet. But they are obviously the favorites. Look at the Lakers with their HOF roster they tried to create. They got smoked by the Pistons lol. A team with not one HOF'er on it.

You mean Miami? They're much different than that Lakers team. For one, LeBron, Bosh, and Wade are have been friends for a while. When the Lakers put that team together Kobe and Shaq had been having issues for years and there was all that shit going around about Malone trying to get with Kobe's wife. Not to mention the enormous age gap on the team and the distraction of Kobe's sexual assault accusation. Plus Malone and Payton (although still effective) were out of their prime. I don't see the Heat winning this year and I agree that just adding big names isn't always the answer, but I don't really think the situations are that comparable.

There...fixed lol

But Phil coached that team...he should have been able to use his Jedi mind tricks to control the egos.... :-\
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 11:03:41 AM »
Guys, remember: The Celtics were nothing before Garnett/Allen came. The Heat made the playoffs last year with a decent seed.

Garnett, Pierce, Allen - all out of their prime.
Rondo? Not nearly as good as he is now.
Eddie House? Not nearly as good as Mike Miller.
If Z joins the Heat, they also have a true Center.
Now they just need a good defender who takes charges and makes opponents want to chop his head off, and they are good to go.
They don't need a great PG because James is a terrific ball handler / passer.

It's rumored that Big Z is considering going to Miami?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 10:54:48 PM »

Well actually Malone and Payton were good friends with Shaq. Besides, in theory, a team with that much talent should have never lost., no matter what was going on. They had the greatest coach ever, most dominating center ever, greatest power forward not named Tim Duncan, best defensive point guard in the game, and a player who was being compared to the greatest ever, I mean that much talent shouldn't ever lost, rape trail or not. And they did get out the west, which was better than the eastern conference. I mean the 'Wolves team they beat was better than the Pistons that year, BUT in the end it still didn't work out. I still think Bosh is going to have to hold that front line to himself, and they are not getting past Boston or Orlando if that happens. Lets see what pieces fall in place before we start making predictions.
sorry, pierce at his age is a JOKE compared to lebron or wade. stop dreaming M dogg, the lakers aint winning shit until wade retires

Dumbest comment ever, straight up. You're almost as bad as NIKCC sucking Kobe's dick. Last I checked, 5 out of the last 11 titles have been won by the Lakers. Meaning, if the Lakers don't win another title, then they still reach Lakers of the 80's status. But they still have their core, they still have Artest who will guard LeBron, they still have Kobe who will guard Wade, they still have Gasol and Bynum to match up with Bosh, and they still have Odom who will fill in the holes that are needed, and they still have the greatest coach in the game to out coach... who is the Heat coach?